Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
Exempt. COPR Received: May 8, 2013
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
In an effort to give honest and factual information about life in Canada, I wanted to start this thread. Simply put, has anyone experienced any racial issues while in Canada. In stores, in restaurants, during parade celebration... whatever your experience, feature it here.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's definitely racism here. Sadly no country is without racism.

Same goes for sexism, homophobia, and the rest.

Reactions: canadaVisa10

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
June 21th 2012 Med's Done....: June 21th 2012
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
N/A Sponsorship Approved: October 17, 2012
File Transfer...
October 17, 2012 In Process: January 30, 2013 RPRF Request..: February 4, 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
There's definitely racism here. Sadly no country is without racism.

Same goes for sexism, homophobia, and the rest.
Yup, I agree... I just find that for example, if a "person of a different racial background" is walking the streets they get stares and all that. I for one use to get stared at in the bus to work for 2 years... even though the same people would be taking the bus everyday.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yup, I agree... I just find that for example, if a non-Canadian is walking the streets they get stares and all that. I for one use to get stared at in the bus to work for 2 years... even though the same people would be taking the bus everyday.
Not sure what you mean by "non-Canadian". People can't tell who is Canadian and who isn't just by looking at them. Are you talking about ethnicity? If so, that's something else than Canadian. Technically the only people who are really "Canadian" in the way you've used it are aboriginal - everyone else got here through immigration.

Anyway - where I live in Canada no one is going to look at you on the street or stare at you on the bus for two years because of ethnicity. It's way too multicultural here. Having said that, racism still happens.

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
Not sure what you mean by "non-Canadian".
You are right... maybe I should have worded it differently. Apart, from my own experiences, which are many, I've spoken to many landed immigrants and they also have similar instances where they didn't feel that the person/s weren't kind to them. Context is key but when someone is just outwardly rude for no apparent reason other the most obvious, I say that needs to be called out.

Anyone else with similar experiences? I'm really curious.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The people who face the most intense racism in Canada are probably the only people who never immigrated there--First Nations people. But like our PM said, Canada may be the first "post-national state." Toronto is over 50 percent foreign born and feels like a truly cosmopolitan space. You might have more trouble in Quebec if you don't speak French and have no intention of learning it.

Reactions: scylla

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
Many times I've walked into the mall and seen women hold their kids or call their kids over because they see me... I'm not even threatening. The face of Canada is changing rapidly and I think there is fear in the general population of people. The Government wants more immigration but the people don't in my opinion.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Many times I've walked into the mall and seen women hold their kids or call their kids over because they see me... I'm not even threatening. The face of Canada is changing rapidly and I think there is fear in the general population of people. The Government wants more immigration but the people don't in my opinion.
That is a natural reaction be it any country. And this may not have anything to do with a particular ethnicity or nationality. This is a natural reaction (not justified though) that if people are already settled in a place and they see new people coming in they usually get insecure about their jobs and see it as more competition.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I think Canada is one of the most tolerant societies in the world. Not to say there is no racism, but is better than pretty much everywhere else I have been. I find though that it is more driven by "foreignism" than racism, and especially in smaller towns and cities. You are "from away", is a term I have heard many times, and the smaller the city the more rampant that is. Also expect that no matter how tolerant a society there will always be natural and especially cultural segregation. My best suggestion to overcome some of this is to connect as often as you can. Join every local industry association that you can. Go to local events. Meet people. I find that if you make an effort, it becomes easier. The bigger the city you find yourself in the easier it will be as well. Toronto and Vancouver (from my experience) is pretty good. I am sure there are others as well.

Good luck

Reactions: rockytg and YVR123

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
I think Canada is one of the most tolerant societies in the world.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I have a question. If you knew of an immigrant that became a Canadian citizen and that person started a business, would Canadians now consider the business a Canadian business even though the person is an immigrant? There is always talk about supporting Canadian businesses.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you knew of an immigrant that became a Canadian citizen and that person started a business, would Canadians now consider the business a Canadian business even though the person is an immigrant? There is always talk about supporting Canadian businesses.
I don't think, for the most part, anyone really puts any thought into that. You'll run into the occasional ignoramus who may shy away from a business for whatever reason, but I doubt the majority of people will even look at who or where the owner comes from.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I have a question. If you knew of an immigrant that became a Canadian citizen and that person started a business, would Canadians now consider the business a Canadian business even though the person is an immigrant? There is always talk about supporting Canadian businesses.
Depends on the city, and the type of business and who you are as a person. It can be hard as a foreigner in some businesses and easy in other. Again Toronto will probably prove much easier than say halifax.

Good luck

Managerchap

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never experienced a case of racism here In Canada. The people are very welcoming In fact majority are Immigrants themselves (Asians, Blacks etc). I would advice anyone coming here not to pay attention to that. I believe Racism is only in the mind here in Canada and you can be whatever it is you want to be. The bigger the city the better.
As Immigrants it is our responsibility to blend Into the society
Dress Like a Canadian ( Do go about looking like you are still back home)
Make some efforts to talk like them
Interact with people and not only people from your ethnicity

Reactions: jman25

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
Not saying that it doesn't exist but a lot of times if you look for it, it will find you. Don't pay attention to what you think are stares or people treating you differently sometimes it's our own paranoia.

I live in a small city in BC, the majority of the population is white and I would say I've never experienced racism here. I have white, Indian, African etc friends. When I first came I too said people were staring at me but over time I realized it was I who was staring at them lol and they stared back. As soon as I put it out of my mind I didn't get that feeling anymore. It is there sometimes but if you ignore people's reaction to you (a stranger) before long the issue becomes non-existent unless racist words or attacks come into play.

Reactions: hamgha and rockytg

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Not saying that it doesn't exist but a lot of times if you look for it, it will find you. Don't pay attention to what you think are stares or people treating you differently sometimes it's our own paranoia.
Agree. And you don't know that they are staring at you unless you are staring back! :)
Most people here are friendly.

Reactions: jman25