+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quick help about Toronto. Do you really know it?

LeoNYC

Star Member
Jan 2, 2009
Guys, just a quick question: I was taking a look at the map of the subway system of Toronto. What area or what stop on the Toronto subway can I consider Toronto Downtown?

Thanks.

kurt0206

Star Member
Jan 9, 2011
AB, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure though but what I know is boundary of highway 427 on west, DVP on east and south of Eglinton Ave.

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LeoNYC said:
Guys, just a quick question: I was taking a look at the map of the subway system of Toronto. What area or what stop on the Toronto subway can I consider Toronto Downtown?

Thanks.
You can consider from BLOOR/YONGE to UNION .AS close you be to UNION so to Toronto Downtown

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kurt0206 said:
Not sure though but what I know is boundary of highway 427 on west, DVP on east and south of Eglinton Ave.
My friend ,he is asking about Toronto downtown near subway stops .The area you did indicate is of Mississauga and Etibikoke

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LeoNY -

There's really no right answer and it depends how you define "downtown". I live relatively close to the financial district and consider "downtown" to be the stations that are near the financial district and Eaton Centre. Anything north of Bloor is definitely "uptown" or "north Toronto" for me - however many others still consider this to be part of downtown Toronto. For me, west end Toronto starts at Spadina station. However others might push this much further west. Anything East of Yonge station is the east end for me (rather than downtown). But once again, others may disagree. So I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to your question - just opinions based on individual perceptions.

How do you define downtown? I think if we know this it will be easier for us to answer your question. Are you defining downtown as the financial/business district? Or as the borders of Toronto proper? Or maybe something else?

I don't know if this helps or just confuses things further...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010

Toronto City Boundaries

Toronto City Close-Up

Toronto Downtown Core

Toronto City
The City of Toronto* is considered to encompass parts of North York to the North, Scarborough to the East, shores of Lake Ontario to the South & Etobicoke to the West.

Toronto Downtown
The Downtown of Toronto is usually considered till Eglington Avenue to the North, DVP (Don Valley Parkway) to the East, Gardiner Xpressway to the South & Dufferin Street to the West.

Check here the TTC (Subway) Map of Downtown...
http://www3.ttc.ca/images/fixedImages/TTC-Downtown.pdf

Heart of Downtown
The Business District & Entertainment District combine is considered to be the heart of Toronto downtown. Basically the 6-7 Kms area around the CN Tower. See the last image above.

Centre of Downtown
Yonge & Dundas - the intersection of Yonge St. & Dundas St. is typically assumed to be the epicenter of Toronto Downtown. That place is colloquially called the "Times Square" of Canada.

Qorax
*Not encompassing the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

mjsantos

Oct 5, 2008
So, Can I say that Bloor/Yonege, Wesllesly, College, Dundas, King and Queen are Downtown? It should be more expensive to live than from Englinton to Finch? Some people told me that to live aroung Dundas was cheaper but as I see it, it might be the other way around.

kc416

Nov 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2009
Doc's Request.
25-06-2009
AOR Received.
08-06-2009
Passport Req..
21-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2009
LANDED..........
03-11-2009
I live downtown toronto and i concider downtown toronto to be bloor to sherbourne to queens quay to spadina back up to bloor. That would include all subway stop south of bloor on the bloor yonge line. That area that I named would be concidered the larger downtown area.. some people concider downtown to be even smaller than that... :)

But, to answer the question about living... Eglinton is a pretty "fancy" area and is quite expensive... any subway stop around rosedale, eglinton, lawrence etc is quite pricey and know as uptown or "yuppyville".. finch on the other hand is more "ghetto" for a lack of better word and is cheaper.. there are a lot of cheap areas in Downtown Toronto if you are looking to rent such as St. James Town but you can get expensive condos all over downtown and uptown toronto