+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding Study Permit and Visa Stamping

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
Hello everyone, so i have been student in Canada for the past 4 years and recently just graduated from high school. Now, I have came back to Thailand for vacation and realized the my Study Permit is expiring soon. My study permit expires on August 30th, 2018 and I have already applied online for a new one (or extension) on July 24th. It says on the website that it may take up to 4 weeks for it to get processed. I am just wondering if i can get into Canada with my Study permit that is expiring soon because I would like to go to Canada as soon as possible to prepare for university. I am also wondering if I can get my study permit stamped in Canada because I would not want to have to come back to Thailand to get it stamped after leaving to Canada.

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply, however, I have already applied for an extension online. So i am not sure what will happen and if i can get the visa stamped once its done in canada.

ibrahim1246

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Nigeria
You should be able to get it stamped in Canada since it was an extension not a new one most people extend their study permit in Canada and get it done otherwise let me help you ask someone

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
Thank you so much, I forgot to applied for an extension when i was still in Canada so i had to apply online. Can u please ask for me. Thanks again.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hello everyone, so i have been student in Canada for the past 4 years and recently just graduated from high school. Now, I have came back to Thailand for vacation and realized the my Study Permit is expiring soon. My study permit expires on August 30th, 2018 and I have already applied online for a new one (or extension) on July 24th. It says on the website that it may take up to 4 weeks for it to get processed. I am just wondering if i can get into Canada with my Study permit that is expiring soon because I would like to go to Canada as soon as possible to prepare for university. I am also wondering if I can get my study permit stamped in Canada because I would not want to have to come back to Thailand to get it stamped after leaving to Canada.
You can't enter Canada if you have an invalid SP unless you have a valid visiting visa. Its advisable to enter Canada before your SP expires.

FYI: a SP is not a travel document that can be use to travel out of Canada or guarantee you reentry

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
*UPDATE*
I got rejected for my study permit because i apparently applied for temporary residence by accident.

My question is that if i can go Canada a few days before my Student Visa expires and then apply for my extension in Canada. Will they let me in? Do i have to leave Canada once my Student Visa expires on the 30th?

Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
*UPDATE*
I got rejected for my study permit because i apparently applied for temporary residence by accident.

My question is that if i can go Canada a few days before my Student Visa expires and then apply for my extension in Canada. Will they let me in? Do i have to leave Canada once my Student Visa expires on the 30th?

Thank you
If both your TRV (Sticker in passport) and study permit (Piece of paper) are still valid you can enter Canada doesn't matter when they expire.

You seem to be confusing a lot of terms.
When you apply for a study permit to Canada you get 2 things
  1. Temporary Residence Visa (TRV, sticker in passport)
  2. Study permit (Piece of paper you get at the border from CBSA officers)
If TRV expires while in Canada there is no issue, TRV is only needed to enter Canada i.e at the border, so as long as you stay in Canada you don't need it to be current/valid, you will also need study permit to renew this.

If Study Permit expires while in Canada then you need to leave or apply for a restoration of status.

If you apply for study permit extension before it expires then you are on "Implied Status" and it is as if you have a study permit as long as your application is still being processed.

See your schools International Office on the correct way and documents needed before you do any immigration application.

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
Thank you so much for clearing up my confusion. I have another question regarding that. Can i study in Canada with that "Implied Status"? or do I have to wait until it is renewed.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you so much for clearing up my confusion. I have another question regarding that. Can i study in Canada with that "Implied Status"? or do I have to wait until it is renewed.
If you have implied status you have every right as you had with study permit so yes you can study.

Remember that you MUST apply for extension before it expires, if it expires and you have to do a restoration then you can not study.

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I can enter Canada with my Study Permit (Expiring on this 30th) and then once i enter I should apply for an extension right away.

What I'm scared of is that once I'm at the airport and they see that my Study Permit is expiring soon, they will make me book for a returning flight on the 30th.

Thank You

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I can enter Canada with my Study Permit (Expiring on this 30th) and then once i enter I should apply for an extension right away.

What I'm scared of is that once I'm at the airport and they see that my Study Permit is expiring soon, they will make me book for a returning flight on the 30th.

Thank You
You can enter no problem.

You can also just apply now if you have all your documents and you know your address in Canada, do the application now online.

geraldjet

Aug 14, 2018
So i emailed UBC and this is what they said:

"I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties renewing your documents. Gerald could return to Canada before August 30, 2018 on his current documents and attend Jump Start (if he has confirmed Jump Start registration) but he will not be able to begin his classes until his post-secondary study permit is issued."

"There is a level of risk with this option as he could potentially experience some difficulty boarding his flight (as he is so close to the expiry of his documents). He could also be delayed at the border as the immigration officer may have some concerns about him not having enough to receive his documents before his classes begin."

The current processing time for a study permit submitted in Canada is 36 days. In Thailand the processing time is 4 weeks. Even if Gerald applies for his study permit tomorrow (August 21, 2018) it is likely that it will not be issued in time for him to start his classes by the deadline (September 18, 2018). We do not recommend that students miss any classes as this could affect their academic performance and their ability to adjust to the academic system at UBC"

What is implied status and does it apply to me because according to UBC I can't study without a valid study permit.

Subhav

Oct 29, 2019
If both your TRV (Sticker in passport) and study permit (Piece of paper) are still valid you can enter Canada doesn't matter when they expire.

You seem to be confusing a lot of terms.
When you apply for a study permit to Canada you get 2 things
  1. Temporary Residence Visa (TRV, sticker in passport)
  2. Study permit (Piece of paper you get at the border from CBSA officers)
If TRV expires while in Canada there is no issue, TRV is only needed to enter Canada i.e at the border, so as long as you stay in Canada you don't need it to be current/valid, you will also need study permit to renew this.

If Study Permit expires while in Canada then you need to leave or apply for a restoration of status.

If you apply for study permit extension before it expires then you are on "Implied Status" and it is as if you have a study permit as long as your application is still being processed.

See your schools International Office on the correct way and documents needed before you do any immigration application.
Hi,
I have a similar question regarding Study permit stamping.
I have applied for Canada study permit( not extension,fresh application) few days back from India( home country) but i will be travelling back to Us since my husband works there. If i get my study permit approved can i get it stamped in US or should i travel back to India for stamping?

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
Hi,
I have a similar question regarding Study permit stamping.
I have applied for Canada study permit( not extension,fresh application) few days back from India( home country) but i will be travelling back to Us since my husband works there. If i get my study permit approved can i get it stamped in US or should i travel back to India for stamping?
I believe you can find a Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Los Angeles and New York. Here is the list https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/international-visa-offices.html#u