+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding obtaining PR through a masters degree

Yousufrab

Nov 8, 2010
Hello everyone.

I didn't know where else to put this question, but I think this section of the forum is relevant.

I am 23 year old Afghan citizen, currently living in the UAE and a graduate in Chemical Engineering from Uni of Nottingham in the UK. I intend to do a masters degree in Canada and pursue citizenship. I need to know what is the best course of action for me since I do not have any relevent work experience ( thanks a lot recession!) so cannot apply as a skilled migrant.

Firstly, I know that only certain masters degrees would make me eligible for permanent residency. Could somebody please tell me where I could find a list of said masters degrees/ occupations which make one eligible? I am particularly interested in vocational accounting masters degrees which do not require a back ground in accounting (not sure if these degrees are offered by Canadian universities).

Secondly, do I start applying for permanent residency during my final year in Uni or only after I have graduated?

And thirdly, if I were to apply for a student visa, should I disclose to the immigration officer that I intend to stay in canada after finishing my masters to pursue citizenship?

I should also add that I have a brother and a sister living in canada who are canadian citizens, and my brother has guaranteed me employment in his business after I graduate (real estate) , although he lives in Quebec and I know the laws are different over there so I'm not really sure if its helpful.

Thanks !

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The subject matter of the master's degree does not matter. What does matter is the type of degree and the length of time. BTW you'd probably be better off sticking with engineering than accounting, unless that's what you really want to do...

For the CEC program, it would need to be a 2-year master's degree program. I believe the same is true for PNP programs.

Your best bet is probably one of the provincial nominee programs - Some (but not all) have programs for recent graduates of masters programs - rules about when you can apply, requirements, etc. vary by program and are subject to change at any time.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cic+PNP&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

See for example the Ontario program for Master's graduates -
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

Yousufrab

Nov 8, 2010
Many thanks for your reply Jes.

I just have a couple of questions, you said the subject matter of the masters degree doesn't matter but the type of degree does. Could you clarify that for me please?

You also mentioned that im better off sticking to engineering than accounting. Does the current economic climate in canada favour engineers over accountants? More earning power perhaps? I ask simply because here in the UAE accountants seem to have greater salary potential than engineers.

Oh and thank you for the links, they were very helpful. :)

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
FYI, The British Columbia PNP is piloting a 3 year International Post-graduate Pilot Project for strategic occupations and in this case, the subject matter of the degree matters. The Masters or PhD degree has to have been obtained in the natural, applied or health sciences field. See the full list of eligible fields here:
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/student_pilot/who.page?

However, for the general CEC (graduate stream) and most other PNP programs, the field in which you obtain your graduate degree does not matter - what matters is for you to obtain a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years (or a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program).

So the program has to be full-time, has to be post-secondary and has to be atleast 2 years. The CIC website has definitions for 'full-time studies', 'two years of study', and which post-secondary institutions are eligible.

Essat.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yousuf, I think Essat answered many of your questions... as for choice of career, there are probably MORE jobs in accounting than chemical engineering, but also more competition for those jobs. I think starting salaries are about the same (that is if you are a CA), it may be possible that the top end is higher for accountants, but those would be pretty rare.

chibiks

Apr 12, 2010
Hi,

Try & get 6 months experience relevant to chem engineering, learn some french & u qualify for priority processing under Quebec.