+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions in moving to Montreal with wife for PhD studies

Harshad1910

Mar 16, 2014
Hello All

Any help in form of personal experiences or otherwise will be greatly appreciated.

I belong to Mumbai, India. I am planning to join McGill university in Montreal for PhD studies starting Fall 2014.

I understand that for my visa I need a CAQ from Quebec immigration and a study permit from Canada immigration (which would include a TRV visa for initially entering Canada. My questions are :

1) What is the duration of my study permit, TRV visa and CAQ permit if the standard duration of my appointment at University is 3 years?

2) I understand my spouse is eligible for Open Work Permit. Is it recommended that she apply for a TRV from India and apply for OPW in Canada or should she apply in India only? I have read some people come on TRV and get the open work permit at the airport. Is this really feasible for all country entrants into Canada?

3) Finally will my wife require the CAQ permit too for entering Montreal along with the TRV?

Thank you!
Harshad

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
1) What is the duration of my study permit, TRV visa and CAQ permit if the standard duration of my appointment at University is 3 years?
it depends on ur study duration on which CAQ is based......on ur CAQ , ur visa is based.

2) I understand my spouse is eligible for Open Work Permit. Is it recommended that she apply for a TRV from India and apply for OPW in Canada or should she apply in India only? I have read some people come on TRV and get the open work permit at the airport. Is this really feasible for all country entrants into Canada?
depends and u have to show same documentation in both cases so choice is urs. u can apply at POE but not sure

3) Finally will my wife require the CAQ permit too for entering Montreal along with the TRV?
no only u will require CAQ

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same as mead said, but in addition you can for sure apply for your spouse OWP at the POE. But I think the better option to to apply for it while applying for your study permit. It's the same as applying for a work permit, but don't know exactly what to do when asked in the application for your spouse's LMO or contract. If you do this you'll save 150$ as you'll only pay once.

Harshad1910

Mar 16, 2014
Thanks to both of you.

Another issue I face is that currently I am single and am getting married on 22nd April.

In the CAQ application should I mention that there are no accompanying members with me as of today I do not have a spouse. Will it create problem when my to be spouse later applies for her CAQ and Visa?

Or do you suggest to wait till April end and apply together?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Harshad1910 said:
Thanks to both of you.

Another issue I face is that currently I am single and am getting married on 22nd April.

In the CAQ application should I mention that there are no accompanying members with me as of today I do not have a spouse. Will it create problem when my to be spouse later applies for her CAQ and Visa?

Or do you suggest to wait till April end and apply together?
spouse doesnt need CAQ unless spouse wants to study too.

Harshad1910

Mar 16, 2014
Thanks Mead,
I understand that she will only need a TRV to accompany me and can apply for OWP at airport or from inside Canada.

The issue I foresee is that if I apply today I will fill in single status and no accompanying family member as currently I am unmarried. But post 22 April 2014 when I get married, that status will change. Will this cause an issue? or should we apply post 22 apr.?

Thanks again
Harshad

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Harshad1910 said:
Thanks Mead,
I understand that she will only need a TRV to accompany me and can apply for OWP at airport or from inside Canada.

The issue I foresee is that if I apply today I will fill in single status and no accompanying family member as currently I am unmarried. But post 22 April 2014 when I get married, that status will change. Will this cause an issue? or should we apply post 22 apr.?

Thanks again
Harshad
it shouldnt matter as long as they dont mistrust ur marriage.....on paper it shouldnt matter but what they think of ur situation cannot be predicted depends on ur financial situation ur travel history etc ....