+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about sponsorship

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Hi everyone!

Quick explanation about my situation :

I am 31, Canadian born in Quebec, my girlfriend is 27, born in the Dominican Republic, we have a sweet little girl that is 2.5 years old and have been living together for the past 4.5 years.

I have been living in the Dominican Republic over the past 7 years or so, comming back to Canada for a few weeks there and there. I still am a Canadian resident and never had Dominican residency.

My baby have both Canadian & Dominican residency.

I want to start the process of bringing back my family with me as soon as possible, my situation is quite unique because I am sort of a ghost... I didn't declare any revenu/taxes over the past 7 years, I do have more then enough in my bank account + investments to cover what is required by what I saw in the Quebec immigration web page, but like I said, haven't declared for a long time and technically i dont have a job on paper.

Also could it be an issue that I am not living in Canada for a very long time? I would prefer to start / do the process while im still living in the Dominican Republic with my family.

Also just to clarify my goal is to do this process in the province of Quebec.

Would it make a difference if we are married vs common law?

Any help is appreciated,

Jean

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What do you mean you are still a Canadian resident? How long have you spent in Canada per year and what ties do you have to Canada. You really need to consult with an accountant because it seems like you are a tax resident in a country. Just because you earn money playing poker doesn’t mean it is tax free income.

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
What do you mean you are still a Canadian resident? How long have you spent in Canada per year and what ties do you have to Canada. You really need to consult with an accountant because it seems like you are a tax resident in a country. Just because you earn money playing poker doesn’t mean it is tax free income.
first, pretty good read that I play poker for a living, and as far as I know poker players dont have to declare in Canada so I would say yes, right now it is tax free... this have been in court a few times and it's always been rejected by the court when they sued for poker revenues.

sorry I am not very good regarding laws and stuff, I still have my address in Canada, nothing as change since I left but yeah I am living 2 months max per year in Canada.

Agreed I should talk with an accountant and will do.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Your old posts provided the "poker" information ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

Quick explanation about my situation :

I am 31, Canadian born in Quebec, my girlfriend is 27, born in the Dominican Republic, we have a sweet little girl that is 2.5 years old and have been living together for the past 4.5 years.

I have been living in the Dominican Republic over the past 7 years or so, comming back to Canada for a few weeks there and there. I still am a Canadian resident and never had Dominican residency.

My baby have both Canadian & Dominican residency.

I want to start the process of bringing back my family with me as soon as possible, my situation is quite unique because I am sort of a ghost... I didn't declare any revenu/taxes over the past 7 years, I do have more then enough in my bank account + investments to cover what is required by what I saw in the Quebec immigration web page, but like I said, haven't declared for a long time and technically i dont have a job on paper.

Also could it be an issue that I am not living in Canada for a very long time? I would prefer to start / do the process while im still living in the Dominican Republic with my family.

Also just to clarify my goal is to do this process in the province of Quebec.

Would it make a difference if we are married vs common law?

Any help is appreciated,

Jean
Married vs. common law won't matter.

When you submit the PR application, you will need to provide hard evidence that you plan to relocate to Canada once the PR visa for your partner is approved.

Note that once you are living in Canada, assume you will need to pay taxes on your poker income if this is in fact your primary source of income (rather than something you do time to time in addition to your primary occupation). If poker is your primary occupation / primary source of income, then this is classified as your business and therefore taxable.

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Married vs. common law won't matter.

When you submit the PR application, you will need to provide hard evidence that you plan to relocate to Canada once the PR visa for your partner is approved.

Note that once you are living in Canada, assume you will need to pay taxes on your poker income if this is in fact your primary source of income (rather than something you do time to time in addition to your primary occupation). If poker is your primary occupation / primary source of income, then this is classified as your business and therefore taxable.
Thanks.

Let's say I start declaring right now my income, will it be enough to start the process? I have read on QC immigration page that you need to show incomes of 32k+/yr over past 12 months and going forward, but since I wasn't living in Canada will I be able to start the process right away or I need to really wait 1yr+?

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Also can I get a few examples of hard evidence of us relocating to Canada?

buying a house, kid enrolled to school, letters from family?

Last edited:

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Another thing i would like to ask is if our demand gets approved and we move back to Canada, is my girlfriend/family allowed to travel for X amount of time or she has to stay X amount of time in Canada before she's able to travel?

If so, how long?

I was hoping we would be able to come back here in DR for 2 months or so during winters.