+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions About Outland App

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I have scanned through a search or two and found what I think was an answer, but I just wanted to confirm what I read.

1)I am in Japan, hoping to sponsor my wife and child. I want to know if I can send my outland application to Missausaga, and while the application is being processed, return to Canada with my wife and son until the "Perm Res" is issued. I think I would have to put my Canadian address as the mailing address to do so. But the heart of my concern is, upon arriving in Canada, am I allowed to be straighforward with the fact that we are waiting for the visa, or do we have to enter under the pretense of a "visit"?

2) If all went well, and the "Perm Res" was granted, would we have to return to Japan, where the application was intially submitted from, to get it?

2b) How long would my wife be without her passport while the process was going on? I worry if the visitor visa ran out before the process was finished, we might be in some kind of a jam.

Thank you, I feel weirdly better knowing I am not losing my marbles alone.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
1. your wife and child will need to enter as a visitor, I guess you have already PR or Canadian passport. All of you can stay in Canada waiting for your application being approved,
2. if they require interview in the visa office, your wife will have to return back and be present on interview. if interview is not required, they will ask you to send them your wife's and kid's passports,
2b) it depends on the visa office how long it takes for them to process your wife's and child's visas, after you send them their passports, you need to consider these delays before extending her visa.
have a good luck

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you.
Just once more clearly..
When we arrive in Canada, and pass through immgration, if asked about my plan for staying in Canada...is it ok to tell the immigration officer that we are waiting on our application being processed, and that we intend to live there when the process is complete?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
yes, just tell them the truth, that you'd like to be together waiting for the process to be completed. we said exactly the same and were granted 6 months stay right away, but at the same time we were notified that the visa office might ask us for interview.
have a good luck

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. I was hoping for that news. If anyone else has some input, plz feel free to do so.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your son your biological child? If so then he will be Canadian by decent if you were born in Canada. You need to register his birth with the Canadian Embassy in Japan and apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. Not sure how long it will take to get it but you can get a travel document for him. See here:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/birth_naissance-eng.asp

bmh

Jul 29, 2009
My husband is here in canada visiting me. He told them that we are planning to apply (outland) while he is here and they let him in as well. He was honest with the questions they asked him.

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks!

What would be the reason for an interview? Is there something imparticular that they are looking for? Is it random, or maybe some documents lacking? Is it common practise?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
the reason for the interview can be various, but mainly the cause of it is if they are not sure if your relationship is genuine

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmm, I just read some conflicting advice in another thread. I am confused.
1. So my wife sending her application outland (Japan), and midway going to Canada with me (Canadian Spouse) and our son,to wait for the approval of her PR is fair play?

2.a) The mailing address will be in Canada, and when (fingers crossed) the application gets approved, my wife would then send her passport by mail (from Canada) to the embassy in Tokyo, for her to have it stamped? 2.b) Is it possible to be a visitor in Canada without one's passport? 2.c) How long does that passport stamp exchange usually take?

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself, I just want to avoid any foreseeable errors.

Thanks!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
It can indeed be nerve wracking not being able to speak to a CIC officer, to get the real truth. However, PMM and IMMOfficer are our excellent resources, as well as the practical experiences of others who have gone successfully before us.

I think it was PMM who told another member he was lucky to be dealing with the London visa office, because London is one of the few offices willing to mail the passport-with-visa to the newly-approved permanent resident already in Canada.

So, check carefully with the Tokyo visa office; if they won't mail your passport, you'll have to return to Japan to get it. The alternative here would be to get a tourist visa, then apply in Canada for permanent residency. It takes longer, we are told, but you’d be together, so what’s the rush for PR?

As for telling Canada that you plan to apply inland for permanent residency, when you are applying for the tourist visa, I’d have advised against full disclosure, but it appears I’d have been wrong. An immigration lawyer or two told me that the chances of getting a tourist visa to visit Canada when also applying for permanent residency were slim, because Canada would suspect that if the PR application were denied, the tourist would have strong reason to stay illegally in Canada. But a few members here disclosed fully, and got their tourist visas. So, honesty is the best policy!!

Questions for others:
If the PR application is outland, it would give a Japan address. Does Canada care if subsequently the applicant changes the address to one in Canada?

If the local visa office (Tokyo) wants an interview, then the applicant must go back to Japan. Is there a serious risk that he/she won’t be allowed back into Canada? Even if the applicant has a multi-entry tourist visa, the border control officer can say “no”. Who knows?; he may be having a bad day.

If there are disturbing answers to these questions, then I’d opt for coming to Canada first, and applying for PR in Canada. Less risky.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KL8N said:
Hmm, I just read some conflicting advice in another thread. I am confused.
1. So my wife sending her application outland (Japan), and midway going to Canada with me (Canadian Spouse) and our son,to wait for the approval of her PR is fair play?

2.a) The mailing address will be in Canada, and when (fingers crossed) the application gets approved, my wife would then send her passport by mail (from Canada) to the embassy in Tokyo, for her to have it stamped? 2.b) Is it possible to be a visitor in Canada without one's passport? 2.c) How long does that passport stamp exchange usually take?

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself, I just want to avoid any foreseeable errors.

Thanks!
1. It's fine as long as CBSA lets her into Canada which also should NOT be a problem as you will be travelling together, show proof of the application being submitted and it's in the best interests of your CANADIAN child to all be together. I'm assuming there are no criminality issues. ;o)
2.a. I know another person who went through the embassy in Tokyo while his wife was with him in Canada. They used courier to send and return the passport to them in Canada. But always best bet to check with the embassy. You may have to get it to a family member.
b. Yes, but if you really want to be safe, get a Certified True Copy (done at a lawyer or notary) of the ID pages of the passport as well as the page with the entry stamp to Canada before you send the passport to have the visa stamped.
c. Check out www.trackitt.com to see what took place with people going through the same embassy. For the other person I know, it took about 10 days for it to be sent, received, stamped, sent back, and received in Canada.

Toby, Japanese citizens are visa exempt so no need to apply for a TRV.

As far as your questions are concerned:

1. There are two addresses, one residential and one mailing. They can be different (one Japanese, one Canadian) or BOTH Canadian if they are living in Canada at the time of the application. Address can be changed any time during the process and Canada "cares" only in that it needs accurate contact information for the individual. Anyone who changes their address should TRIPLE check that it's been done. Embassies are somewhat notorious for not getting this updated all the time.

2. It's difficult to assess the risk that you are describing without knowing ALL the factors of a persons case/life but I would assume the risk is minimal under normal circumstances. Bad day or not, the law must be applied correctly and with common sense. Again, no TRV required.

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the input.
It seems everyday I say to myself, "Tomorrow I can send it", but everyday some other problems emerge. Can't wait to get this process rolling....

What is adequate proof that our application has been submitted? Is there some reciept issued, or something I should copy before I send it?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A copy of the application (you should keep a complete copy anyway), the courier receipt to CPC Mississauga, your copy of the fees paid receipt and the sponsorship approval letter from CPC-M if you've received it. You plan on applying BEFORE your family comes to Canada, correct?

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, we plan to apply, wait for the approval from Mississauga and then to make travel arrangements after that. I am worried about my son's status, as it takes 12 to 14 months for his CCC to be processed. So, other than the fact that his dad is Canadian, I have nothing concrete that proves he is a Canadian. Upon arrival in Canada, I hope that his passport is stamped with a visa long enough remain in the country to receive his CCC.