+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about landing

hopefulpoet

May 11, 2014
I apologize because I feel like I keep posting with dumb questions. But it’s hard to find the answers. I am a Canadian citizen, and my husband is a U.S. citizen, but just received his COPR. I think we will drive down to the border so that he can land. We also have a 2-year-old daughter, who has Canadian citizenship through me (thus, she was not really part of my husband’s PR application). My daughter and I moved to Canada last September 2013. I imported most of our stuff at that time, so that’s all cleared. My husband drove up here a month later (October 2013). Since he only entered with a visitor visa at that time, he did not declare our remaining possessions (which were very few: some household items like a coffee maker, our printer, and our bikes). Earlier this year we imported our car, so that’s clear too.

My questions for when we drive down to the border and land then:
1) Do I (as his sponsor) and/or my daughter have to be along for the trip?
2) Will he need to present any other documentation, besides a list of the items that he took in with him last October 2013? I assume that he still needs to declare/import those items, even though he’s been living in Canada for almost a year already?
3) What kinds of questions will he be asked by border services when he lands? He gets so nervous when going through customs and I'm worried he's going to get flustered unless he knows exactly how to prepare.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
hopefulpoet said:
I apologize because I feel like I keep posting with dumb questions. But it's hard to find the answers. I am a Canadian citizen, and my husband is a U.S. citizen, but just received his COPR. I think we will drive down to the border so that he can land. We also have a 2-year-old daughter, who has Canadian citizenship through me (thus, she was not really part of my husband's PR application). My daughter and I moved to Canada last September 2013. I imported most of our stuff at that time, so that's all cleared. My husband drove up here a month later (October 2013). Since he only entered with a visitor visa at that time, he did not declare our remaining possessions (which were very few: some household items like a coffee maker, our printer, and our bikes). Earlier this year we imported our car, so that's clear too.

My questions for when we drive down to the border and land then:
1) Do I (as his sponsor) and/or my daughter have to be along for the trip?
2) Will he need to present any other documentation, besides a list of the items that he took in with him last October 2013? I assume that he still needs to declare/import those items, even though he's been living in Canada for almost a year already?
3) What kinds of questions will he be asked by border services when he lands? He gets so nervous when going through customs and I'm worried he's going to get flustered unless he knows exactly how to prepare.
1. You and your daughter don't need to be present when he is landing.
2. He can make a list of items imported/ being imported on the B4 form.
3. When my husband landed (this was at the airport though) it was very fast. They just asked him to confirm there were no changes in status or family composition, confirmed the address, and I'm pretty sure that's it. He didn't use the B 4 form because he just had one suitcase with some clothes and some toiletries. That's it.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
hopefulpoet said:
The purpose of a "formal" landing is two-fold:
1. The officer has to determine that the person arriving is the person who was granted PR. Hence, the officer will check the passports, COPR to ensure that they both match. (S)he may ask related questions randomly to check if your responses match those present in the document. That is the most they would ask. One important thing is PR card. Since these are only mailed to a mailing address in Canada, the officer would ask for a mailing address. Having that ready would definitely help.
2. To formally assign a date-time stamp on your document (COPR) as to when you formally became a PR of Canada.

Thats it. Most officers, if not all, are quite friendly and one would not even realise that the landing process has been completed. So one, really does not have to worry. FYI, this process takes place before customs, at the immigration section. Hope everything goes smoothly for him!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The standard questions they will ask are:
-Are you feeling healthy?
-Did your family status change at all since your application?
-Have you been charged with any crime since your application?

There may be some others depending on your situation. But the above three are the key ones that they will always ask.

eviltofu

Feb 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
About the B4 form..
My wife is arriving via plane - there are only 2 suitcases.
No items will be imported after.

She does have some jewelry: wedding band, engagement ring, that kind of stuff.
We are filling out the B4 form, attaching pictures and market value (well, how much we paid),
Has anyone have any experiance with this, i.e. what do they do with the B4 form, do they just take it and say "okay, that's all, is it truthfully declared (which it is)"
Thanks!