+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about extending stay in Canada as a visitor

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi,

My Fiance(US citizen) and I(CAD citizen) are working to extend her stay in Canada as a visitor after she has been here since February 2020 on working holiday visa. We have a question about submitting "Proof of means of financial support", on the (IMM 5708) form. It asks for the applicants bank statements and other proof of the finances we claim to hold. Technically, I am the only one with finances at the moment, and I have indicated on the form that I will be paying for her while she stays longer as a visitor. Due to covid we've been (sort of) living paycheck to paycheck, but I'm employed full time and always have roughly $2600/mo coming in. So my question is, should I claim 6 months worth of income for my fiance's 6 month stay as a visitor? Can I do this without having the finances immediately available, but rather on a monthly income basis? How do I prove this? Sorry if this is a dumb question, thank you in advance for any info or tips you might have, cheers

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
Usually you can quote the your annual income (from the offer or employment letter) as the financial support for your dependents. Also include the last 3-4 pay slips and bank statement to support it.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Usually you can quote the your annual income (from the offer or employment letter) as the financial support for your dependents. Also include the last 3-4 pay slips and bank statement to support it.
Okay great, I'll put this in then. I was just worried that if it wasn't her own statements or tax return, that it might cause some issue. Thank you for this information.