+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about citizenship : addresses in the past 6 years and work/education

Feb 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am gathering all the documents and forms required for citizenship.
I travelled for almost year in 2014, however my permanent address did no change. I was still receiving my mails at my old address ( 2011- 2015), after coming back from my trips, i moved to a new address ( which is my current address).

My first question is: do i include the addresses of the places i was visiting ? For instance i stayed 4 months in Italy(2014), 6 months( 2014) in Senegal and 2 months in Sweden (2012); i did not work or study in any of those countries. I was visiting for few months and taking care of my sick mother for most of the time.

Do i include those places as the addresses where i was residing even though i never received any mail there? Are they still considered as foreign addresses? Or should i just put my old address from 2011- 2015 and then 2015-2017( my current address)

Second question: for work and education history, do i include the period i was traveling and just add " traveling" under work/education and n/a under school/employee and for the city just add the city where i was located ?

Thank you for all your help.

I became a permanent resident in October 2011.

canmr

Dec 30, 2016
First: As year 2014 comes in last 4 year period, the vacation/travel period need to be mentioned with complete address of stay including postal code. For 6 month accumulated stay or more in single country, police clearance certificate need to be enclosed. But all the addresses in last 6 years need to be mentioned as you were PR since yr 2011.

Second: Suggest to mention as travelling/vacation for all the periods you were not in Canada and under work or education, mention as Unemployed if you were not on salaried job or as unpaid vacation if you were not paid by your employer but you retained job.

Both tables above should have vacation date ranges matched.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
canmr said:
First: As year 2014 comes in last 4 year period, the vacation/travel period need to be mentioned with complete address of stay including postal code. For 6 month accumulated stay or more in single country, police clearance certificate need to be enclosed. But all the addresses in last 6 years need to be mentioned as you were PR since yr 2011.

Second: Suggest to mention as travelling/vacation for all the periods you were not in Canada and under work or education, mention as Unemployed if you were not on salaried job or as unpaid vacation if you were not paid by your employer but you retained job.

I am little disagree with you

In work history no need to write unemployment the period he spend outside Canada
Because when we go to holiday it is paid holiday
So why I should write unemployment

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
how did you meet the residency requirement in 2014 when you were abroad for 10 months in total? I think you lost your PR status

canmr

Dec 30, 2016
simoncanada said:

In work history no need to write unemployment the period he spend outside Canada
I did suggest to write as unemployed only if OP was not on salaried employment during the vacation period if you read carefully. I was assuming no employer gives such long paid vacation usually, unless there are genuine reasons.

Feb 18, 2017
canmr said:

Thank you very much for your insight. I received the police certificate last week, since i knew that was a requirement.
I will make sure to put down all the addresses.
Just another question regarding addresses. while i was in Italy i also travelled to few more countries but not more for 10days at a time; Italy is where i spent the most. In that instance, do i also put down all those countries or just Italy since it was my main destination.
Thank you again

Feb 18, 2017
Panda_Bear said:
how did you meet the residency requirement in 2014 when you were abroad for 10 months in total? I think you lost your PR status
As we all know, one must live in Canada for at least 2 years in every 5 year period; i have been in Canada since 2009.
Hence, why the 10 months can't/ didn't make me lost my PR status.

Feb 18, 2017
canmr said:
I did suggest to write as unemployed only if OP was not on salaried employment during the vacation period if you read carefully. I was assuming no employer gives such long paid vacation usually, unless there are genuine reasons.
You assumed correctly. I took a year off, so i wasn't paid.

Feb 18, 2017
simoncanada said:

If I had been on paid vacation you would be correct.

canmr

Dec 30, 2016
in physical presence calculator I suggest you mention all the travels you made out of Canada and into Canada with a start/from date (leaving date) and end/to date (returning date). No need to mention short trips in other countries within major vacation period in phy calculator doc unless it is from /to Canada.But, prefer to mention those short travels to other countries in comments/remarks.

But, address history and work history table, it's preferable to mention all absences with each row representing a different city within same country or different country.

Feb 18, 2017
canmr said:
in physical presence calculator I suggest you mention all the travels you made out of Canada and into Canada with a start/from date (leaving date) and end/to date (returning date). No need to mention short trips in other countries within major vacation period in phy calculator doc unless it is from /to Canada.But, prefer to mention those short travels to other countries in comments/remarks.

But, address history and work history table, it's preferable to mention all absences with each row representing a different city within same country or different country.
Perfect, i will do that. Your help is very appreciated.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
IMPORTANT: Follow the Instructions!

Many make a concerted effort to provide reliable information in this forum, but unfortunately there are nonetheless more than a few posts which can be incorrect or misleading.

Thus, foremost be sure to read and follow the instructions, including the general instructions (such as those in the guide) and those in the specific items which make up the forms and checklist. Also read and follow instructions in the physical presence calculator. Read the instructions for yourself and follow them according to your best understanding of them, and according to your best judgment based on the specifics in your case.

Links to the application, the document checklist, and the instruction guide are all found near the top of the following web page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

Further down that page there is a link to the online Presence Calculator.

In particular, when the applicant gets to the part of the online calculator where absences from Canada are listed, the instruction includes the following note:

"Note: If you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in 'Destination' and list the other countries in the 'Reason' field."

If there is insufficient space, add a supplemental page with the additional information; be sure that the supplemental page clearly references the applicable item.

Reminder: For address history and work history, every month must be covered. No gaps.

Feb 18, 2017
dpenabill said:
IMPORTANT: Follow the Instructions!

Many make a concerted effort to provide reliable information in this forum, but unfortunately there are nonetheless more than a few posts which can be incorrect or misleading.

Thus, foremost be sure to read and follow the instructions, including the general instructions (such as those in the guide) and those in the specific items which make up the forms and checklist. Also read and follow instructions in the physical presence calculator. Read the instructions for yourself and follow them according to your best understanding of them, and according to your best judgment based on the specifics in your case.

Links to the application, the document checklist, and the instruction guide are all found near the top of the following web page:

Further down that page there is a link to the online Presence Calculator.

In particular, when the applicant gets to the part of the online calculator where absences from Canada are listed, the instruction includes the following note:

"Note: If you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in 'Destination' and list the other countries in the 'Reason' field."

If there is insufficient space, add a supplemental page with the additional information; be sure that the supplemental page clearly references the applicable item.

Reminder: For address history and work history, every month must be covered. No gaps.

Thank you for your very sound advice.