+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about applying for inland from the US

Zei

Aug 22, 2017
Hello! My spouse and I were planning to apply for inland due to the added benefit of being able to get a work permit and making the living situation a bit less tight but we had a few questions before doing so.

1. When do we send in the actual application? If we're doing inland I assume we're supposed to do it as soon as she gets here?

2. What do we say to immigration when she's coming in? I'm assuming it might raise flags since she'll be bringing a lot of her stuff including her cat, but we have full intention of going through all the legal processes in making this happen.

3. I believe she needs both a medical exam and a criminal record check when requested. If we're doing inland, would that all be done here in Ottawa?

4. The work permit application is recommended to be submitted alongside the inland application, about how long do you think we'd need to wait for her to receive a work permit?

Thank you for any information you can provide!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. You send the application to Mississauga. Both of you have to be physically in Canada before you can submit the application.
2. She can only visit at this time and cannot import personal belonging. She should leave the bulk of her belongings at home or in storage in the US (e.g. furniture, stuff for the kitchen, etc.) and only bring what people normally bring when they come on holidays. If she shows up with a lot of stuff, this increases the chances of problems at the border.
3. Medical can be done anywhere provided you pick a doctor recognized by CIC. She can apply for the FBI certificate from Canada - but the request will be processed in the US.
4. Expect to wait around four months. It's more than a recommendation to submit the open work permit with the sponsorship application. You must do this if you want her to have implied status and be able to wait out the processing of the application in Canada.

Zei

Aug 22, 2017
Thank you for the information! Everything making a bit more sense than it did before. I had a couple more questions!

1. She has a place to store a majority of her belonging until she can bring them up, my next question is she has a cat, would bringing her set off any red flags? She doesn't have anyone who can watch her while she's away so really has no choice but to bring her.

2. Is she able to get the criminal record check done now, before she leaves? or does she need to wait until we start the application?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thank you for the information! Everything making a bit more sense than it did before. I had a couple more questions!

1. She has a place to store a majority of her belonging until she can bring them up, my next question is she has a cat, would bringing her set off any red flags? She doesn't have anyone who can watch her while she's away so really has no choice but to bring her.

2. Is she able to get the criminal record check done now, before she leaves? or does she need to wait until we start the application?
I traveled across the border with my cat every weekend for years when I was dating my husband. It never caused me any issues. Just make sure the rabies shot is up to date and you have the certificate, in case they ask.

Yes, you can get the FBI prints done now, but keep in mind they have to be taken no more than 6 months before your application is submitted, so if 6 months passes before you apply, you would need to have them done again.

Saskie

Sep 5, 2017
My husband brought his cats last year from the US. They did ask for the paperwork on them (up to date shots) but weren't overly concerned. More concerned about what he did for a living, permanent residence in the States (because if you are visiting you should have a job/address at home yet), etc.