+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding Citizenship Interview for my Elderly Parents

freakey

Jan 25, 2024
I am planning to apply citizenship for my parents. I have heard IRCC has started calling for interviews in person now.

1. Will they be called for an interview? Both are 70+ years old and cannot speak English. My mother can understand English but will not be able to communicate.
2. My father has speech issues and takes time to complete sentences.
3. My mother is on wheelchair and a patient of Rheumatoid Arthritis needs my help to control the wheelchair at all times.
4. My parents want me to be there with them and act as a their translator or would want a translator from IRCC at the time of interview.

Has anyone or knows someone who has been in a same situation before.

Will they be expecting the applicant to be converse with them in English? Can I be with them at the time of interview?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am planning to apply citizenship for my parents. I have heard IRCC has started calling for interviews in person now.

1. Will they be called for an interview? Both are 70+ years old and cannot speak English. My mother can understand English but will not be able to communicate.
3. My mother is on wheelchair and a patient of Rheumatoid Arthritis needs my help to control the wheelchair at all times.
4. My parents want me to be there with them and act as a their translator or would want a translator from IRCC at the time of interview.

Will they be expecting the applicant to be converse with them in English? Can I be with them at the time of interview?
Interview does not happen for everyone. Its for selected few.
I have seen it for people mostly who are outside Canada for a long time, discrepancy in physical presence. I highly doubt your parents will get called for interview and as such they don't have any Language requirement, so even though if they get called, you can join them to help out.

I have seen kids helping elderly parents during oath ceremony. Should not be a cause of concern.

freakey

Jan 25, 2024
Interview does not happen for everyone. Its for selected few.
I have seen it for people mostly who are outside Canada for a long time, discrepancy in physical presence. I highly doubt your parents will get called for interview and as such they don't have any Language requirement, so even though if they get called, you can join them to help out.

I have seen kids helping elderly parents during oath ceremony. Should not be a cause of concern.
thank you for your response. :)

Canadian Snowbird

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023

If they get interview request, you definitely can help them as a interpreter, language and knowledge test is exempted for a person age of above 55.