+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question Regarding applying for Citizenship, (if I accept a temporary job offer)

kan12

Aug 19, 2010
Hello,
I am a Canadian PR, but I have still not met my residency requirement for Canada Citizenship. I have a question and I would really appreciate if anyone can please help me with this:-

1) I am currently working for a Canadian company but I am getting a job offer to work for a Thai company in Thailand for a period of 1.5 years. So I would have to move there for 1.5 years, and after that I will be back in Canada, and resume my job with my current employer.

I am wondering, later on, when I meet the residency requirement (which should be after 1 year when I return back from Thailand) for Canada Citizenship, will the fact that I went overseas on a work permit to work for a long period of 1.5 years, will this affect my citizenship application in a negative manner. Will an immigration officer say that this shows that I dont have intention to reside in Canada.

I really dont want to do anything to risk my Canadian citizenship application in the future.

If you can please help me with my question above, I would really appreciate it

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
kan12 said:
Hello,
I am a Canadian PR, but I have still not met my residency requirement for Canada Citizenship. I have a question and I would really appreciate if anyone can please help me with this:-

1) I am currently working for a Canadian company but I am getting a job offer to work for a Thai company in Thailand for a period of 1.5 years. So I would have to move there for 1.5 years, and after that I will be back in Canada, and resume my job with my current employer.

I am wondering, later on, when I meet the residency requirement (which should be after 1 year when I return back from Thailand) for Canada Citizenship, will the fact that I went overseas on a work permit to work for a long period of 1.5 years, will this affect my citizenship application in a negative manner. Will an immigration officer say that this shows that I dont have intention to reside in Canada.

I really dont want to do anything to risk my Canadian citizenship application in the future.

under the current rule you will have to be physically in Canada for at least 6 months every year
and we don't know if the new one will pass or not

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
kan12 said:
Hello,

It will NOT have any positive effect. That's for sure.

I also missed a great promotion to work abroad , for the same reason. We are still just PRs.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kan12 said:
Hello,

Agree with observation by Politren, albeit it may be an understatement:
Politren said:
It will NOT have any positive effect. That's for sure.
While the impact of an impression is extremely difficult to predict or even describe, impossible to measure, as in just about every aspect of life, impressions do matter, and living and working abroad tends to make an unfavourable impression.

Also concur in post by Politren specifically about the 183X4CY requirement in another topic responding to the scenario you posted there.

That said: While it is of course true that we do not know for certain that Bill C-6 will pass, or when it will take effect if it does, it is likely to be adopted and likely to be in effect two and a half years from now (which appears to be the soonest you might be applying). Thus, for an application made in latter part of 2018 it is not likely it will be governed or affected by the current requirement to be physically present 183 days per year for each of four of the relevant six calendar years. Moreover, by 2018 it is actually quite likely (but NO guarantee) that actual presence in Canada for 1095 days within the preceding five years (1825 days plus any February 29 days) will meet the presence qualification.

In any event, to be clear, the following is not accurate:
itsmyid said:
under the current rule you will have to be physically in Canada for at least 6 months every year
Again, to be clear, the current requirement is to be physically in Canada for 6 months in at least four of the relevant six calendar years.

Additionally, for an application made in 2018 it is likely there will be no intent-to-reside (Bill C-6 is likely to have repealed this requirement by then). Nonetheless, the length of time working abroad may still tend to have an unfavourable impact on the impression your application makes . . . remembering that credibility always looms very large and your submissions will need to be believed to prove presence. (This comes across, perhaps, more negative than it should . . . your scenario is not uncommon, and many or perhaps even most in a similar circumstance should not run into problems because they took advantage of a particular opportunity abroad for a temporary, finite period of time. This is more or less a general caution about overall impressions and the risk of making an unfavourable impression.)