+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding 14 a). Please help.

lightsun47

Oct 29, 2017
Hello all,

I will try to make it short. My wife is applying for citizenship and we had a honeymoon together in 2013 in the UAE. Her eligibility period is from Oct. 2017 to Oct. 2012.

During five years back, because our honeymoon happened in 2013, does she have to show the UAE travel document, i.e. tourist visa document? That entry and exit was not from here, it was from India.

Or the documents are strictly limited to entry / exits to and from Canada only during previous five years of eligibility period?

I have shown CoPR and previous passports she had in the documents section, but do I also to have to show the UAE tourist as well as a result?

The physical calculator explicitly states only to show entry / exits from Canada during all previous five years, so I have not shown UAE entry / exit there as I previously mentioned it was from India only.

Thank you.

lightsun47

Oct 29, 2017
EDIT: Wanted to add that she also has a valid visitor visa for USA as well since 2014.

Now that I am thinking about this, it assures me she should include and show both the UAE and USA visas as in travel document history. Even though the UAE one has expired, it was still a valid travel document during her eligibility period.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Visitor Visas are not the travel documents IRCC is referring to in 14a. Travel documents are passports or passport-like documents that authorize you to travel across borders. Visas are not travel documents.

Here' some information regarding travel documents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_document
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee_travel_document
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Re-entry_Permit

Please note that on Q13, IRCC seems to define immigration status and permanent resident status differently. This difference is relative to the ability to live in a country even when not permanently. This includes work and student visas or refugee or protected status, but does not include visitor or business visas because they do not confer the right to live in any particular country, they only allow you to enter for a short period of time. Therefore, you do not have to provide information about visitor/business visas. For this question, you have to include information for your whole life, not just the last 5 years. (Note that the help text in Q13 says: "(student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen)".

For example, if you held a student visa 15yrs ago in Malaysia, you have to declare that. Don't forget to include any citizenship you have or had.

The physical presence calculator asks you to provide information about which country you were day-by-day in the past 5 years, even before you were a PR of Canada. Therefore, I assume that you must be ready to prove that (also for the fact that you would have to provide a police certificate if it applies to you). Therefore, like for the case of after having become a PR of Canada, you should be ready to provide proof of where you are declaring you were, including visas and entry/exit stamps, even if at the time you were not a PR of Canada. Thus, for travel visas you mentioned, you would have to show them as proof for the physical presence calculation during your interview, not for the application. This is, declaration of the visas is not necessary, but declaration of you being present in those countries is.

lightsun47

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you so much for the clarification.

Now I was doing it the other way: Notice for physical calculator, it only states entry / exits FROM CANADA. That's why, I thought it's not important to put that UAE entry and exits because they were not from here. But after reading what you said, I have to indicate in physical presence calculator and NOT as a valid travel document or anything. Same applies for travel visa for USA as well.

Please, second this and confirm if I'm correct.

Thanks again.