+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question RE: Sponsorship and living abroad.

adm360

Jan 25, 2021
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen, and my partner is an American citizen. We have been looking into sponsoring her to come to Canada, and had hoped to start the process sooner than later; however, I have also been looking at a work visa for the UK, to gain some work experience I had always wanted to have. The window on attaining the UK work visa (which would allow me to work their for a maximum of 2 years, but not be considered a resident, I believe) is closing, I would have 2 more years to apply for it.

So, my question is, am I able to sponsor my partner, have them move to Canada, and then go work abroad during the sponsorship period? The intent to return to Canada would be clear, given the work visa expires and I would have a home and spouse waiting for me, so would it matter if I am not in Canada at the time her permanent residency was approved? Is it less likely to be approved if I am abroad while waiting for the acceptance? Can she reside in Canada without me while waiting for PR approval, once the application has been submitted?

Thank you for any direction you have to offer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen, and my partner is an American citizen. We have been looking into sponsoring her to come to Canada, and had hoped to start the process sooner than later; however, I have also been looking at a work visa for the UK, to gain some work experience I had always wanted to have. The window on attaining the UK work visa (which would allow me to work their for a maximum of 2 years, but not be considered a resident, I believe) is closing, I would have 2 more years to apply for it.

So, my question is, am I able to sponsor my partner, have them move to Canada, and then go work abroad during the sponsorship period? The intent to return to Canada would be clear, given the work visa expires and I would have a home and spouse waiting for me, so would it matter if I am not in Canada at the time her permanent residency was approved? Is it less likely to be approved if I am abroad while waiting for the acceptance? Can she reside in Canada without me while waiting for PR approval, once the application has been submitted?

Thank you for any direction you have to offer
As a citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while living outside of Canada however must demonstrate proof you plan to relocate back to Canada once the PR visa is approved. If the UK visa is for 2 years, then the recommendation would be to apply to sponsor your wife around 1 year before your UK visa is set to expire. That way you can demonstrate an intent to return around the time the PR application is expected be approved.

She cannot "live" in or "move" to Canada wile waiting for PR approval and after the application has been submitted. All she can do is visit temporarily as a tourist and she would need to keep extending her status as a visitor to keep valid status while the application is being processed. As a visitor, she won't be able to work or study, and also won't be covered by provincial health insurance. She also will not be able to bring all of her belongings with her to Canada (that won't be possible until she is approved as a PR).