+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question pertaining to Residence Outside Canada

jeuniii

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
Hello

I am filling out the forms for my parents.

During they last 4 years, they went back home to Iraq twice for 4 months each.

So my questions are :

1) Question 9c. During you eligibility period did you live outside Canada ?
Im assuming since they were outside Canada for 8 months in total , Ill have to answer Yes to this, right ?

2) In the event that I answer Yes to the above question, then I have to fill out Residence Outside of Canada (CIT 0177) form. But when I open that form, it says " RESIDENCE OUTSIDE CANADA FOR ADULT CITIZENSHIP APPLICANTS DECLARING RESIDENCE OUTSIDE CANADA AS A CROWN SERVANT OR WITH A CROWN SERVANT FAMILY MEMBER (SPOUSE, COMMON-LAW PARTNER OR PARENT).

But my parents were retired and only went back to visit family. So I'm not sure how to fill this form.

Any help will be

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
If the time is taken into account as part of the physical presence calculation as a visitation, then it's not residing outside of Canada. Answering YES to 9c is basically a request to have that residency period considered as residency in Canada, if applicable per the ROC form.

This is my reading of the form and instructions, but if you're unclear, a call to CIC should clear up any question.

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I asked the IRCC this question: Citizenship app. pls. clarify Q 9c. During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada? Is this for Crown Servants?

Here is IRCC answer:

1/3 An applicant only has to fill out CIT0177 if that time outside of Canada falls within the scenarios
2/3 outlined on the form/in the instruction guide, to have that time count towards being physically present in Canada.
3/3 To find out in which situation you need to fill out the CIT 0177, click on the Help button.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I asked the IRCC this question: Citizenship app. pls. clarify Q 9c. During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada? Is this for Crown Servants?

Here is IRCC answer:

1/3 An applicant only has to fill out CIT0177 if that time outside of Canada falls within the scenarios
2/3 outlined on the form/in the instruction guide, to have that time count towards being physically present in Canada.
3/3 To find out in which situation you need to fill out the CIT 0177, click on the Help button.
Which is basically what I was saying. I don't think it applies to your parents as they were visiting, not making residence elsewhere. It should be noted in the presence calculation, though, as it was time spent outside of Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello

I am filling out the forms for my parents.

During they last 4 years, they went back home to Iraq twice for 4 months each.

So my questions are :

1) Question 9c. During you eligibility period did you live outside Canada ?
Im assuming since they were outside Canada for 8 months in total , Ill have to answer Yes to this, right ?

2) In the event that I answer Yes to the above question, then I have to fill out Residence Outside of Canada (CIT 0177) form. But when I open that form, it says " RESIDENCE OUTSIDE CANADA FOR ADULT CITIZENSHIP APPLICANTS DECLARING RESIDENCE OUTSIDE CANADA AS A CROWN SERVANT OR WITH A CROWN SERVANT FAMILY MEMBER (SPOUSE, COMMON-LAW PARTNER OR PARENT).

But my parents were retired and only went back to visit family. So I'm not sure how to fill this form.

Any help will be
1. You should also note that they will require Police Certificates for Iraq if IRCC asks for one as they have spent more than 183 days there in the past 4 years.