+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on subsection 44(1)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry if I am asking the same question again.

1. With a Canadian job offer and PR card with 6/8 months of validity(I have not met the RO), is it worth taking a chance to land and hoping to get through without a secondary interview? If yes, the appeal again inadmissibility through the IAD would take a minimum of 1 year(guess). By the time of the hearing and all other related procedures, I would have probably had a job, paid the tax, and had some connection established to establish my intention to continue faithfully. If I lose the IAD appeal, start the PR application process again. However, I have a Canadian Ph.D. I will be 43 by then, so getting another chance will be difficult. The total cost of legal fees is enormous here, almost close to 10000 CAD

2. In the second scenario, I renounce my PR now and reply for a PR again. The total cost of legal fees is not that great.

I am clueless, guys. Pulling my hair. Any guidance, please?
Personal opinion only, option 1. Just tell the truth, tell them COVID was an issue, now you have a job and you are here to stay and pay taxes. Then stay. I give better than even odds* you will not get anything more serious than a warning to be careful about your RO.

I repeat: then stay. Don't leave until you are back in compliance with a healthy buffer.

Government targets are for more immigration. This doesn't mean every border officer will act the same way. But they will have fewer incentives to piss into the wind, if you'll pardon the expression.

*Not actually giving odds. Just another expression.

Reactions: Ponga

MukutPR001

Apr 10, 2023
Thank you, armored. That is very well explained.

However, I will still start saving a fair amount of money to be used in case of appeal through a lawyer. Here is what I found on the internet.

8.2. Non-criminal inadmissibilities
Although not considered exhaustive, the following are some factors that officers may choose to
consider when deciding whether or not to write an A44(1) inadmissibility report for a non-criminal
inadmissibility.
• Is the person concerned a permanent resident or a foreign national?
• What is the nature or category of the inadmissibility?
• Is the person already the subject of a removal order?
• Is the person already the subject of a separate inadmissibility report incorporating allegations
that will likely result in a removal order?
• Is the officer satisfied that the person is, or soon will be, leaving Canada? And in such a case,
is the imposition of a future requirement to obtain consent to return warranted?
• Is there a record of the person having previously contravened immigration legislation?
• In the case of non-compliance, was it unintentional or excusable for a valid reason?
• Has the person now been fully counselled on the topic of their inadmissibility? And is the
officer satisfied that the person now understands what is required in future to overcome their
inadmissibility?
• Is there any reason to believe that, after having previously been counselled on the topic of
their inadmissibility, the person simply chose to ignore that counselling?
• Has the person been cooperative?
• Is there any evidence of misrepresentation?
ENF 5 Writing 44(1) Reports
2011-05-20 9
• Has the person applied for restoration of status, and does the person appear to be eligible?
• Has a temporary resident permit been authorized?
• How long has the person been in Canada?
• Has the person been a permanent resident of Canada since childhood? Was the permanent
resident an adult at the time of admission to Canada?
• How long has the permanent resident resided in Canada after the date of admission?
• Are family members in Canada emotionally or financially dependent on the permanent
resident? Are all extended family members in Canada?
• Are there any special circumstances in the likely country of removal, such as civil war or a
major natural disaster?
• Is the permanent resident financially self-supporting or employed? Does the person possess a
marketable trade or skill?
• Has the permanent resident made efforts to establish themselves in Canada through
language training or skills upgrading?
• Is there any evidence of community involvement? Has the permanent resident received social
assistance?
• Has the permanent resident been cooperative and forthcoming with information?
• Has a warning letter been previously issued?
• Does the permanent resident accept responsibility for their actions?
• Is the permanent resident remorseful, or has the person supplied any necessary
documentation requested by an officer?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, armored. That is very well explained.

However, I will still start saving a fair amount of money to be used in case of appeal through a lawyer. Here is what I found on the internet.

8.2. Non-criminal inadmissibilities
Although not considered exhaustive, the following are some factors that officers may choose to
consider when deciding whether or not to write an A44(1) inadmissibility report for a non-criminal
inadmissibility.
Is the person concerned a permanent resident or a foreign national?
What is the nature or category of the inadmissibility?
• Is the person already the subject of a removal order?
• Is the person already the subject of a separate inadmissibility report incorporating allegations
that will likely result in a removal order?
• Is the officer satisfied that the person is, or soon will be, leaving Canada? And in such a case,
is the imposition of a future requirement to obtain consent to return warranted?
• Is there a record of the person having previously contravened immigration legislation?
In the case of non-compliance, was it unintentional or excusable for a valid reason?
Has the person now been fully counselled on the topic of their inadmissibility? And is the
officer satisfied that the person now understands what is required in future to overcome their
inadmissibility
?
• Is there any reason to believe that, after having previously been counselled on the topic of
their inadmissibility, the person simply chose to ignore that counselling?
Has the person been cooperative?
• Is there any evidence of misrepresentation?
ENF 5 Writing 44(1) Reports
2011-05-20 9
• Has the person applied for restoration of status, and does the person appear to be eligible?
• Has a temporary resident permit been authorized?
• How long has the person been in Canada?
• Has the person been a permanent resident of Canada since childhood?
Was the permanent
resident an adult at the time of admission to Canada
?
How long has the permanent resident resided in Canada after the date of admission?
• Are family members in Canada emotionally or financially dependent on the permanent
resident? Are all extended family members in Canada?
• Are there any special circumstances in the likely country of removal, such as civil war or a
major natural disaster?
Is the permanent resident financially self-supporting or employed? Does the person possess a
marketable trade or skill?
• Has the permanent resident made efforts to establish themselves in Canada through
language training or skills upgrading?
• Is there any evidence of community involvement? Has the permanent resident received social
assistance?
Has the permanent resident been cooperative and forthcoming with information?
• Has a warning letter been previously issued?
Does the permanent resident accept responsibility for their actions?
Is the permanent resident remorseful, or has the person supplied any necessary
documentation requested by an officer
?
I realize that you are very anxious, concerned, almost neurotic over this, but all that you can really do, is be prepared for anything that can happen, right?

A lot of what you've posted in red would not even apply to a PR!

I have changed the ones that could, to green and changed the font to blue for ones that could actually be helpful, IMHO.

Reactions: armoured

MukutPR001

Apr 10, 2023
You are absolutely true, Ponga. I have been scratching on this too much. Appreciate it clearing my head. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You are absolutely true, Ponga. I have been scratching on this too much. Appreciate it clearing my head. Thank you.
I don't even understand what question you had there, if any. Which suggests to me you are over-googling and over-thinking.

Return to Canada as soon as you can. See the points above (tell the truth, emphasize some reasons you stayed away and mention covid/economic uncertainty, now you have a job, you are staying). Then stay.

You don't really need a lawyer for this. Lawyer up when needed, not before. Money spent on returning sooner and staying is better spent, at thsi point.

MukutPR001

Apr 10, 2023
The more I am reading and watching the videos, the more I am getting worried. Thanks to you all for clearing things up.

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
I was given a s.44(1) report to say that there were grounds to believe that I am a PR who is inadmissible for failing to comply with the residency obligation under s.28 of the IRPA Act. Also that I failed to demonstrate there exist any h&c grounds to justify retention of PR status. This report was given to me by CBSA at the airport.

The officer signed the report. I was subsequently required to sign the report. I think I signed two copies and one was kept by CBSA.

Therefore, based on my own experience, you may not have actually been issued a s.44(1) report if one was not presented to you for signing. I will defer to any of the more experienced members for any further views on this. Hope this helps... it may be that the officer was simply giving you a "hard time"....
Hello
Two months back, I was trying to cross the border from Detroit to Windsor (was not meeting residency obligation but PR card had another 1 year of expiration - crossing the border after a long gap). The officer asked me a lot of questions and eventually took signature from me on a report but I don't remember getting any copy of that report. I don't even remember what I saw on the report. He did say that I can surrender my PR card while returning from Canada at the border and he also said it's fine if I don't do that, and we can figure out that later. He also said he is putting some comments or notes on my file, not sure what it was.

Now, I am back in USA and has a real need of setting down in Canada (sudden change of situations and plans) but I am not sure what exactly I need to be doing before I return to Canada to mitigate the effects of that report. (I am planning to get an offer letter from my Canadian employer, travel with my wife (PR too) and kid (US Citizen) all at once and to convince the officer that I will be hereon residing in Canada and will not step out of the country for 2 years until I am eligible for renewing the PR card which are indeed my plans now)

However, it looks like if the report is a 44(1), the days will not be counted towards residency obligation days and it might be a problem that will haunt me even after 2 years by only getting one year PR card when renewed etc.
Can you please suggest what i should be doing to get more details of that report and how to mitigate the effects of it to make my return to Canada without any hassle?

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Hello Guys,

I am having big issue and I need some help (advise) with it if possible.
At present I'm outside Canada and trying to go back.
I became PR in March 2017. I came back to Canada after long break in Jan 2022 and at this point CBSA officer issued me 44(1) report because I wouldn't meet RO even if I would stay in Canada until my PR card would expire (May 2022). But CBSA officer made a possitive decision to keep my PR status. IRCC received my application for renewing PR card on 01.Feb.2022 and till today I haven't received and information from them just my online status turned to "Decision Made" in November 2022. As far as I know decision is possitive and my card has been already issued. I had to leave Canada with the end of October because of important family matters. I applied for PRTD online (PR portal) and my application was returned already twice (all details and attachments provided looks properly), my status is "Returned", return reason is "Wrong Application". I have't received any additional information (requirements).
My question is: in the application as a date of becoming PR shall I put date March 2017 or Jan 2022 (date of issueing 44(1) report)?
I do not have other concerns because everything else looks good.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind regards!
Hi, Something similar happened to me. I was asked to sign some report (don't remember) but I was not given a copy. Can that be 44(1)?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
Two months back, I was trying to cross the border from Detroit to Windsor (was not meeting residency obligation but PR card had another 1 year of expiration - crossing the border after a long gap). The officer asked me a lot of questions and eventually took signature from me on a report but I don't remember getting any copy of that report. I don't even remember what I saw on the report. He did say that I can surrender my PR card while returning from Canada at the border and he also said it's fine if I don't do that, and we can figure out that later. He also said he is putting some comments or notes on my file, not sure what it was.

Now, I am back in USA and has a real need of setting down in Canada (sudden change of situations and plans) but I am not sure what exactly I need to be doing before I return to Canada to mitigate the effects of that report. (I am planning to get an offer letter from my Canadian employer, travel with my wife (PR too) and kid (US Citizen) all at once and to convince the officer that I will be hereon residing in Canada and will not step out of the country for 2 years until I am eligible for renewing the PR card which are indeed my plans now)

However, it looks like if the report is a 44(1), the days will not be counted towards residency obligation days and it might be a problem that will haunt me even after 2 years by only getting one year PR card when renewed etc.
Can you please suggest what i should be doing to get more details of that report and how to mitigate the effects of it to make my return to Canada without any hassle?
You will only know what is going to happen, once you cross into Canada.

Unless your PR has already been revoked, you will be allowed to enter Canada, because you would still be a PR. Planning to remain in Canada for a solid 2 years (+ a bit extra) would be a great plan!

Good luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello

Upfront GUESS, emphasis on it being a GUESS . . . you were given an admonition, and if so your PR status is still intact BUT you are at high risk for inadmissibility proceedings taking place the next time you arrive at the border (or Port-of-Entry in an airport) resulting in the issuance of a Removal Order, a decision which terminates your PR status unless it is successfully appealed.

Longer Observations:

First order of business
is to ascertain your current status. Problem is that the most convenient and timely way to do that might be traveling to Canada and seeing what happens at the Port-of-Entry, so you probably need to pack up and make the commitment without knowing just how things will go when you arrive here.

Meanwhile: Time to pay attention to details and make a record of what happens, what you learn.

The question, of course, is whether it is too late. If a 44(1) Report was prepared and reviewed, and you signed some sort of acknowledgement of a Removal Order being issued, and that took place two months ago, what you will learn at the border is that you are no longer a Canadian, but a Foreign National (FN). That is, the time for making appeal having expired, the decision finding you inadmissible for a breach of the Residency Obligation has terminated your PR status.

It does NOT appear that is what happened. (See my "guess" above.) But given your lack of clear recollection of what did happen, given the extent to which there was an examination of your RO compliance at the time, there is a distinct possibility that is what happened. Hopefully not. My guess, probably not. But maybe, and if so, that's a big deal.

If so, if that is the situation (I am going into some depth about this, despite thinking this is not what happened, because if this is the situation your options are very limited) . . . so, again, if this is the situation, meaning YOU are now a FN (and thus your PR card is not valid even though on its face it appears to be), for YOU to regain status to live permanently in Canada you will need to reapply. If your spouse is still a PR, and is in compliance with the RO, once she is living in Canada she should be able to sponsor your application for a new PR visa.

OTHERWISE . . . and more likely . . .

As long as the previous border transaction did not result in the issuance of a Removal Order, you still have PR status.

It is possible, but here too NOT likely, there was a 44(1) Report prepared but it was not reviewed. It is more likely you were given an admonition or caution regarding the RO. There are too many contingencies to warrant chasing down all the possibilities at this stage given it is not known just what your current status is.

Skimming the surface beyond that . . .

Even if a 44(1) Report was not prepared (and this seems the more likely scenario), there is a heightened risk that your next PoE examination will result in the preparation of a 44(1) Report. Perhaps your explanation of intent will persuade the Secondary examination officer to give you another chance without preparing the inadmissibility report. Perhaps a report will be prepared but your explanation will satisfy the officer who reviews the report that there are sufficient H&C reasons to allow you keep status despite the RO breach. And, if that fails, if the reviewing officer issues a Removal Order, you will have 30 days to make an appeal, and if your plans are to stay in Canada and you settle here, there is at least a fair shot at the appeal succeeding.

Here too, if your spouse has PR status, and is not subject to inadmissibility proceedings, that offers a safety net if you lose status since your spouse should be able to sponsor you for PR again.

There are plenty of contingencies, tangents, and nuances in all that. Again, this is just skimming the surface. If you are intent on coming to Canada to settle, you need to find out where you stand now and where things stand after you are next examined at the border.

44(1) Report Prepared, But Not Reviewed:

This happens, BUT it is not the ordinary procedure for PoE transactions. So, it's possible but not likely.

Situations in which a 44(1) Report is prepared but not promptly reviewed are far more common when an internal IRCC office has identified a RO breach while processing an application by a PR, such as an application for a new PR card or an application to sponsor a family member's PR.

When a 44(1) Report is prepared (either at a PoE or in internal IRCC processing), that does mean days in Canada after that do not count toward compliance with the RO.

This also applies following the issuance of a Removal Order based on the Report. If the PR appeals, and is IN Canada, they will generally be issued a one-year PR card pending the outcome of the appeal. Again, time in Canada pending the appeal does not get credit toward meeting the RO for purposes of the de novo adjudication before the IAD. However, it can be a significant factor considered in weighing H&C considerations.

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
You will only know what is going to happen, once you cross into Canada.

Unless your PR has already been revoked, you will be allowed to enter Canada, because you would still be a PR. Planning to remain in Canada for a solid 2 years (+ a bit extra) would be a great plan!

Good luck!
Thank you Ponga!

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Upfront GUESS, emphasis on it being a GUESS . . . you were given an admonition, and if so your PR status is still intact BUT you are at high risk for inadmissibility proceedings taking place the next time you arrive at the border (or Port-of-Entry in an airport) resulting in the issuance of a Removal Order, a decision which terminates your PR status unless it is successfully appealed.

Longer Observations:

First order of business
is to ascertain your current status. Problem is that the most convenient and timely way to do that might be traveling to Canada and seeing what happens at the Port-of-Entry, so you probably need to pack up and make the commitment without knowing just how things will go when you arrive here.

Meanwhile: Time to pay attention to details and make a record of what happens, what you learn.

The question, of course, is whether it is too late. If a 44(1) Report was prepared and reviewed, and you signed some sort of acknowledgement of a Removal Order being issued, and that took place two months ago, what you will learn at the border is that you are no longer a Canadian, but a Foreign National (FN). That is, the time for making appeal having expired, the decision finding you inadmissible for a breach of the Residency Obligation has terminated your PR status.

It does NOT appear that is what happened. (See my "guess" above.) But given your lack of clear recollection of what did happen, given the extent to which there was an examination of your RO compliance at the time, there is a distinct possibility that is what happened. Hopefully not. My guess, probably not. But maybe, and if so, that's a big deal.

If so, if that is the situation (I am going into some depth about this, despite thinking this is not what happened, because if this is the situation your options are very limited) . . . so, again, if this is the situation, meaning YOU are now a FN (and thus your PR card is not valid even though on its face it appears to be), for YOU to regain status to live permanently in Canada you will need to reapply. If your spouse is still a PR, and is in compliance with the RO, once she is living in Canada she should be able to sponsor your application for a new PR visa.

As long as the previous border transaction did not result in the issuance of a Removal Order, you still have PR status.

It is possible, but here too NOT likely, there was a 44(1) Report prepared but it was not reviewed. It is more likely you were given an admonition or caution regarding the RO. There are too many contingencies to warrant chasing down all the possibilities at this stage given it is not known just what your current status is.

Even if a 44(1) Report was not prepared (and this seems the more likely scenario), there is a heightened risk that your next PoE examination will result in the preparation of a 44(1) Report. Perhaps your explanation of intent will persuade the Secondary examination officer to give you another chance without preparing the inadmissibility report. Perhaps a report will be prepared but your explanation will satisfy the officer who reviews the report that there are sufficient H&C reasons to allow you keep status despite the RO breach. And, if that fails, if the reviewing officer issues a Removal Order, you will have 30 days to make an appeal, and if your plans are to stay in Canada and you settle here, there is at least a fair shot at the appeal succeeding.

Here too, if your spouse has PR status, and is not subject to inadmissibility proceedings, that offers a safety net if you lose status since your spouse should be able to sponsor you for PR again.

There are plenty of contingencies, tangents, and nuances in all that. Again, this is just skimming the surface. If you are intent on coming to Canada to settle, you need to find out where you stand now and where things stand after you are next examined at the border.

This happens, BUT it is not the ordinary procedure for PoE transactions. So, it's possible but not likely.

Situations in which a 44(1) Report is prepared but not promptly reviewed are far more common when an internal IRCC office has identified a RO breach while processing an application by a PR, such as an application for a new PR card or an application to sponsor a family member's PR.

When a 44(1) Report is prepared (either at a PoE or in internal IRCC processing), that does mean days in Canada after that do not count toward compliance with the RO.

This also applies following the issuance of a Removal Order based on the Report. If the PR appeals, and is IN Canada, they will generally be issued a one-year PR card pending the outcome of the appeal. Again, time in Canada pending the appeal does not get credit toward meeting the RO for purposes of the de novo adjudication before the IAD. However, it can be a significant factor considered in weighing H&C considerations.
Thank you DPenabill!
I will let you know the outcome. God bless you sir for taking time to answer this thoroughly!!

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018

Longer Observations:

First order of business

Also, on my next arrival, lets say the report is prepared but not reviewed, is there anything that I need to be doing to have this 44(1) closed or cancelled? ( I don’t want to have this lingering until I apply for PR card renewal 2 years later)