+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on subsection 44(1)

justinline

May 19, 2009
Hello Gurus,

I am about to file for PR card renewal. I have already met 730 days criteria, would file for renewal next month

I became PR Aug 2011, I was entering Canada July 2014. Was sent for secondary, even though I had clearly 1 month gap and could easily fullfill 2 year physical presence, the officer took extra effort to be a pain in the neck.

I was told to fill up the residency questionnaire, was told they are reporting me to CIC. Then went on tanget reminding me how big privilege it is to have the residency, I am being insincere with my obligation, he suspects I am playing with the system. They would call me to counter, ask few question like......where were you living, who is the employer, which all US states I was living in prevoiusly....then say to wait for another 15 -20 minutes. This went on for 2-3 hours. Then he said why should I let you in when I clearly see you are playing with the system and not going to fulfill your obligation as PR, I was pissed by this time. I told him I have filled the RQ, go ahead and report me to the CIC. If CIC have issue they will surely contact me. I dint hear back anything from CIC.

My question is what should I fill for following in IMM 5444E form

Question 18
Has an Immigration Officer ever issued you a Report Under subsection 44(1)
or made the decision that you have not met the residency obligations required of Canadian permanent residents? Yes or No

Thanks All,

Justin

axelfoley

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
I was given a s.44(1) report to say that there were grounds to believe that I am a PR who is inadmissible for failing to comply with the residency obligation under s.28 of the IRPA Act. Also that I failed to demonstrate there exist any h&c grounds to justify retention of PR status. This report was given to me by CBSA at the airport.

The officer signed the report. I was subsequently required to sign the report. I think I signed two copies and one was kept by CBSA.

Therefore, based on my own experience, you may not have actually been issued a s.44(1) report if one was not presented to you for signing. I will defer to any of the more experienced members for any further views on this. Hope this helps... it may be that the officer was simply giving you a "hard time"....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
justinline said:
Question 18
Has an Immigration Officer ever issued you a Report Under subsection 44(1)
or made the decision that you have not met the residency obligations required of Canadian permanent residents? Yes or No
The answer is No. As said above, CBSA would have had to issue you with the official paperwork at the airport if they had actually reported you.

Dipr2017

Jul 20, 2016
axelfoley said:
I was given a s.44(1) report to say that there were grounds to believe that I am a PR who is inadmissible for failing to comply with the residency obligation under s.28 of the IRPA Act. Also that I failed to demonstrate there exist any h&c grounds to justify retention of PR status. This report was given to me by CBSA at the airport.

The officer signed the report. I was subsequently required to sign the report. I think I signed two copies and one was kept by CBSA.

Therefore, based on my own experience, you may not have actually been issued a s.44(1) report if one was not presented to you for signing. I will defer to any of the more experienced members for any further views on this. Hope this helps... it may be that the officer was simply giving you a "hard time"....
Hi axelfoley,
Did they allow you to enter canada after this? And if so for how long were u allowed to stay?

Thanks.

axelfoley

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
I was stamped into Canada as a PR. I planned to file a Notice of Appeal if reported under s.44(1) and I have now filed the appeal through my lawyers. In terms of time I am "allowed to stay", I am allowed as much time in Canada as I want to be, until such time as the appeal hearing date at the IAD and a decision has been made following that hearing. If I did not file the Notice of Appeal (you get a 30 day window to file the appeal), I would be issued with another order to leave Canada within a further 30 days which I would have had to comply with. So if I had *not* filed the Notice of Appeal I would only have had 60 days following the report being written to stay in Canada.

As I filed the Notice of Appeal, I am allowed to stay until the hearing and until such time a decision has been made on the appeal. It could be anywhere from 1 year to maybe 4 years, depending on their case workload. I filed at IAD Registry in Montreal based on my address in that area. It appears that IAD Registry in Montreal is hearing cases from between 3 to 4 years ago based on the recent cases I have read. I have noticed that the waiting time in Vancouver is shorter, more like 1 year to 18 months.

Whilst waiting for the date, as my PR card has expired, I am eligible to renew my PR card and apply for a "temporary" PR card with 1 year validity. I can keep renewing the "temp" card every year. In the mean time I classify as a PR and have the same work, health care and related rights as any other PR.

The thing I do lose from now onwards (after being reported under s.44(1)) is that any time I spend in Canada after being reported does not count towards satisfying my residency obligation *unless* I win the appeal at the IAD, in which case the time I spent in Canada between being reported and the hearing date would be retrospectively counted. I also lose the right to sponsor a partner or family members whilst "on appeal" and waiting for the IAD hearing.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
axelfoley said:
The thing I do lose from now onwards (after being reported under s.44(1)) is that any time I spend in Canada after being reported does not count towards satisfying my residency obligation *unless* I win the appeal at the IAD, in which case the time I spent in Canada between being reported and the hearing date would be retrospectively counted. I also lose the right to sponsor a partner or family members whilst "on appeal" and waiting for the IAD hearing.
It is correct that time in Canada after being issued a 44(1) Report does not count toward compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

However, and especially for those whose appeal takes years, remaining in Canada and working in Canada could be a positive factor in any H&C assessment, enough to make the difference. And the contrary, not being settled in and living in Canada during the appeal period could be the negative factor which tips the scales unfavourably in the H&C analysis.

(Indeed, the negative weight of not being settled in Canada during the appeal is likely to weigh more than being settled in Canada would be a positive factor. This is typical: negative factors tend to weigh more, have bigger impact, than positive factors.)

Regarding the OP's query: I concur with those who observe that the formalities of being issued a 44(1) Report should easily distinguish actually being reported from what were cautions, admonitions, or threats about being reported. No need to declare being reported unless actually reported.

fateh88

Sep 2, 2013
I was stamped into Canada as a PR. I planned to file a Notice of Appeal if reported under s.44(1) and I have now filed the appeal through my lawyers. In terms of time I am "allowed to stay", I am allowed as much time in Canada as I want to be, until such time as the appeal hearing date at the IAD and a decision has been made following that hearing. If I did not file the Notice of Appeal (you get a 30 day window to file the appeal), I would be issued with another order to leave Canada within a further 30 days which I would have had to comply with. So if I had *not* filed the Notice of Appeal I would only have had 60 days following the report being written to stay in Canada.

As I filed the Notice of Appeal, I am allowed to stay until the hearing and until such time a decision has been made on the appeal. It could be anywhere from 1 year to maybe 4 years, depending on their case workload. I filed at IAD Registry in Montreal based on my address in that area. It appears that IAD Registry in Montreal is hearing cases from between 3 to 4 years ago based on the recent cases I have read. I have noticed that the waiting time in Vancouver is shorter, more like 1 year to 18 months.

Whilst waiting for the date, as my PR card has expired, I am eligible to renew my PR card and apply for a "temporary" PR card with 1 year validity. I can keep renewing the "temp" card every year. In the mean time I classify as a PR and have the same work, health care and related rights as any other PR.

Hello thanks for the info. I have another question regarding the same.
I do not meet RO and planning to fly next week to Toronto, my query is say i get an entry without section 44 notice, can I sponsor my wife for the PR.
Please reply

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello thanks for the info. I have another question regarding the same.
I do not meet RO and planning to fly next week to Toronto, my query is say i get an entry without section 44 notice, can I sponsor my wife for the PR.
Please reply
Caution: the above posts in this thread are DATED . . . many aspects of these matters change over time, so some caution is in order when reading older posts.

Otherwise; the short answer:

Best to not make a sponsorship application unless and until you are in full compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

Explanation (longer response):

A PR who is inadmissible for being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation should avoid initiating any transaction with CBSA or IRCC UNTIL the PR has cured the breached . . . that is, UNTIL the PR is in compliance with the PR RO.

Of course when the PR is abroad, at the very least the PR will need to apply for entry into Canada (which is typically done by simply arriving at a PoE, which is considered to be an application to enter), initiating the entry-examination transaction. If the PR's application for entry is allowed with NO report for inadmissibility, the BEST strategy is to stay put for as long as it takes to get into compliance . . . which can be a full two years if the PR has returned to Canada after an absence of more than 1095 days. And, again, NOT otherwise initiating any transactions with IRCC. Thus, NO application to SPONSOR a family member UNTIL the PR is in compliance with the PR RO.

All this is subject to some variability relative to the particular PR's specific facts and circumstances. How much in breach of the PR RO, for example, may influence whether it is necessary to wait and if so for how long. Are there H&C reasons which could insulate the PR from termination of status due to breaching the PR RO?

If, for example, the PR is still within the first five years since landing, and still has a valid PR card (which is suggested here given the plan to fly to Canada, which would not be feasible without a valid PR card), how much over the 1095 day threshold the PR has been outside Canada considered in context with the reasons for being abroad so long, may provide some wiggle room, so to say, for some PRs. In this respect, the *reasons* for being abroad so long do not necessarily have to be standard H&C grounds in order to tip the scales toward allowing the PR to retain status notwithstanding a relatively small breach of the RO.

For emphasis: the safe approach, the only really safe approach, is to NOT make a sponsorship application UNTIL the PR is in full compliance with the PR RO. That may be, so to say, a bridge too far for some. Too long to wait. And the risks may be, so to say, acceptable risks, in some circumstances . . . and thus, for context, I will offer a more concrete example . . . .

More concrete example: PR landed August 7, 2015. Stayed in Canada just six weeks. Now returning to Canada November 5, 2018.

This PR is in breach of the PR RO. But only by a month or so. PR card still valid until, say, September 2020. Odds are quite good this PR will NOT be reported at the PoE upon seeking to enter Canada. There is, of course, nonetheless some risk of being reported and even though the PR is allowed into Canada without being reported, the PR risks triggering a PR RO compliance examination if he or she makes any application to IRCC, such as an application to sponsor a spouse, before getting into full compliance. Thus, again, best to wait until in full compliance before making a sponsorship application.

But one problem is this PR will NOT be in full compliance with the PR RO until November 2020. Long time to wait to apply for spouse's PR visa. The PR MIGHT be willing to take some risk and make the sponsorship application sooner. Safest to wait. But, for this particular PR, given the particulars in this PR's situation, the risks of a problem are probably low SO LONG AS the PR first fully settles in Canada, establishing a relatively permanent home in Canada.

There is a relatively good chance NO PR RO compliance issue will arise in this situation.

If, however, the application does trigger a PR RO compliance examination, and the PR explains there were some financial hurdles and the marriage and family matters slowing down when he or she could make the move to settle in Canada, there is a good chance IRCC will allow the PR to keep status despite the breach.

Risk of losing PR status in this should be fairly low. Risk of being deemed not eligible to sponsor is perhaps somewhat higher but probably not much. If the latter happens, the PR should be able to make the application again once the PR is in full compliance.

Note: generally financial hurdles, getting married, and other family matters, will NOT constitute sufficient H&C grounds to avoid losing PR status when a PR has substantially breached the RO. BUT H&C assessments for PRs is broader and more liberal than H&C considerations in other contexts. And this is especially so during the first five years. Canada does not, not generally, stand on technicalities in order to turn out PRs who are generally making a real, genuine effort to immigrate to and settle in Canada permanently. Thus, it warrants noting too that general impressions can loom very large in this context. A PR does not have to establish meeting any equitable-deserves-to-keep-status standard in order to keep status, but for the PR in breach of the RO, appearing to equitably deserve to keep status can make a huge difference.

sgaur

Mar 24, 2012

Hi Axelfoley, any progress in your case? I was also reported at border. I was waiting CBSA call for the meeting in a month. But I did not get any call for 2 years. Now I have applied for the PR card. Now status of CIC website for Card renewal is "Decision Made". I called their call center. The call agent checked my case and told me that my PR card is issued and It will be posted with in 3-4 weeks. I am little bit worried that why my status is not changed to "PR card issued" as usually comes in the case of other people. I gave him all information about my UCI number etc. I hope the information given by call center agent is correct.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
Hi Axelfoley, any progress in your case? I was also reported at border. I was waiting CBSA call for the meeting in a month. But I did not get any call for 2 years. Now I have applied for the PR card. Now status of CIC website for Card renewal is "Decision Made". I called their call center. The call agent checked my case and told me that my PR card is issued and It will be posted with in 3-4 weeks. I am little bit worried that why my status is not changed to "PR card issued" as usually comes in the case of other people. I gave him all information about my UCI number etc. I hope the information given by call center agent is correct.
Hi sguar

Can you please update your case. I'm in similar situation .

jasmitsc

Feb 10, 2018
Hi Guys in a similar situation considering moving back had been in Canada for 12 weeks PR April 19 and now looking to move back PR expires April 24. My query is if they do flag me at the POE and I file a Notic of Appeal can I travel back to India whilst waiting for my case also will it be wise to sponsor my wife or mother via a friend to come visit me during that duration

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys in a similar situation considering moving back had been in Canada for 12 weeks PR April 19 and now looking to move back PR expires April 24. My query is if they do flag me at the POE and I file a Notic of Appeal can I travel back to India whilst waiting for my case also will it be wise to sponsor my wife or mother via a friend to come visit me during that duration
You replied to a post that's nearly 3 years old, but...it worked. LOL!

When you return to Canada one of 4 things will happen:
(From best to worst)
1. Nothing. You are allowed to re-enter with no questions from CBSA regarding your Residency Obligation that is required to maintain PR status.
You would then be wise to remain in Canada until you have eclipsed 730 days within the most recent rolling 5 year period before applying to renew your PR Card.

2. You are allowed to re-enter and are asked questions pertaining to your R.O.
You would then be wise to remain in Canada until you have eclipsed 730 days within the most recent rolling 5 year period before applying to renew your PR Card.

3. You are allowed to re-enter and after being questioned by CBSA a 44(1) report is created which could lead to your PR status being revoked by IRCC (not CBSA) for breaching the R.O.
You would be allowed to remain in Canada pending a final decision and could appeal if it is not a positive outcome.

4. You are found to be inadmissible by CBSA for reasons other than the breach of your R.O. and may not be allowed to re-enter.

IMHO, #4 is highly unlikely, but nobody here can tell you with absolute certainty what will happen.

What do you mean by asking "...can I travel back to India whilst waiting for my case also will it be wise to sponsor my wife or mother via a friend to come visit me during that duration"

You can only sponsor your wife and/or mother if you are in Canada. You must also have met (or can show that you will meet) the R.O. to be eligible to sponsor them. If you currently only have ~ 90 days towards your R.O., since becoming a PR in April of 2019, you are already in breach of your R.O. (as of ~July 2022) so you cannot sponsor either one at this point. Your 730 day clock will need to start over when you return to Canada, as long as option 3 or 4 (above) was not the outcome with CBSA.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@Ponga effectively answered your question.

One part warrants some emphasis: since you are already in breach of the Residency Obligation, and not by just a little, if keeping PR status is a priority for you then traveling abroad again would dramatically increase the risk of losing PR status. This is true regardless how it goes at the Port-of-Entry, including:
-- scenario 1 as described by @Ponga, in which you are waived into Canada without being subject to an examination regarding RO compliance, noting that as long as you have a valid PR card you could travel internationally BUT you would be taking a big risk to do so​
-- scenario 2 as described by @Ponga, in which you are examined as to RO compliance, but then waived through; international travel would, again, be taking a big risk​
-- scenario 3 as somewhat described by @Ponga, albeit the scenario in which an inadmissibility report is prepared warrants clarification; the main thing remains, whether allowed into Canada without being issued a Removal/Departure Order, or being issued a Removal Order and entering Canada and appealing, either way any international travel in the meantime means increasing the risk of losing PR status​

Some Clarifications:

@jasmitsc -- As noted, the response by @Ponga states the gist of what you need to know, part of which I emphasized above. The rest of this is more about clarifying some technical elements of the process when a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility is prepared, and unless you plan to be answering questions by others about these procedures, or you are otherwise interested in this level of detail, NO NEED for you to read the rest of this post.

3. You are allowed to re-enter and after being questioned by CBSA a 44(1) report is created which could lead to your PR status being revoked by IRCC (not CBSA) for breaching the R.O.
You would be allowed to remain in Canada pending a final decision and could appeal if it is not a positive outcome.

4. You are found to be inadmissible by CBSA for reasons other than the breach of your R.O. and may not be allowed to re-enter.
. . . for clarification . . .

Regarding: 3. You are allowed to re-enter and after being questioned by CBSA a 44(1) report is created which could lead to your PR status being revoked by IRCC (not CBSA) for breaching the R.O.

The standard procedure at the PoE when CBSA border officers determine a returning PR is in breach of the RO is:
-- examining CBSA officer prepares 44(1) Report, which is specifically for inadmissibility due to a breach of the RO​
-- that Report is referred to a second CBSA officer who reviews it (for validity) and who also interviews the PR to determine if there are H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep PR status despite being in breach; this almost always takes place while the PR is still in the PoE and BEFORE the PR is allowed to "re-enter" Canada, even if the second officer reviewing the Report interviews the PR telephonically. This results in one of the following:​
-- -- Report set aside, PR allowed to proceed into Canada​
-- -- Report upheld and a Removal/Departure is issued (again by the reviewing CBSA officer, not an IRCC official), and then the PR is allowed to proceed into Canada (PR must appeal this to lawfully remain in Canada more than 30 days)​
-- if the Inadmissibility Report (for a RO breach) is prepared, but no qualified second CBSA officer is available to promptly do the review, the PR may be allowed to enter Canada pending a later review of the Report; this is NOT the usual process, but an exception; the follow-up review is still conducted by a CBSA officer (NOT IRCC)​

Some additional observations about this procedure:

This is in regards to PRs in breach of the RO; the typical procedure is COMPLETED while the PR is still at the PoE, and BEFORE the PR is allowed to re-enter Canada. That is, the FINAL decision is made then and there (with some exceptions when a reviewing officer is not available), and it is made by a CBSA officer, and to be clear if that is a negative decision, meaning a Removal/Departure Order is issued, that is a final decision terminating the PR's status -- it is subject to appeal, and if the PR prevails in the appeal that will result in setting aside this FINAL decision terminating PR status, but absent relief attendant an appeal, this decision is it, the final decision terminating the PR's status.​
While the distinction between decision-making and actions by CBSA versus IRCC does not mean much to the affected PR, for those of us who follow these matters and are relying on what is officially reported about actual cases in published IAD and Federal Court decisions, distinguishing those cases involving CBSA versus those involving IRCC can provide significant insights. Actions related to 44(1) Reports for RO breach initiated at a PoE are readily recognized (usually, with some exceptions) because the Minister of Public Safety is a party in the appeal process. In contrast, the Minister of IRCC is the government party (likewise, with some exceptions) in appeals from both visa office decisions denying a PR TD and decisions by IRCC in local inland IRCC offices where a Residency Determination has resulted in a 44(1) Report and Removal Order (this procedure can occur attendant an application for a PR card or a PR's sponsorship application when the PR makes the application while in RO breach, or at some later stage of the process is determined to be in breach).​
In addition to some recent cases indicating a stricter approach to issues like qualifying criteria for the accompanying-citizen-spouse RO credit advocated by the Minister of IRCC (whose representative has specifically been advocating a who-accompanied-whom approach in many cases, for example), compared to the Minister of Public Safety (whose representative somewhat recently did not advocate the who-accompanied-whom approach even in a situation where the IAD hinted that could be an issue), there have long been many cases indicating IRCC visa officers (in making PR TD application decisions) approach RO compliance cases, including assessment of H&C factors, significantly more narrowly and strictly than CBSA officers screening returning PRs at a PoE. (This comes with serious caveats given gaps in the sources, which is among the many reasons why it is so difficult to forecast how things are likely to go even though we know a great many of the factors that influence what happens.)​

Notes:
-- There continues to be rather few RO cases involving IRCC local offices (mostly cases arising from PR card or sponsorship applications) in either the anecdotal reporting here, or in published IAD decisions.
-- Historically, for many years, it appeared that cases arising from the denial of a PR TD well exceeded PoE 44(1) Report cases. That said, toward the end of the Harper/Conservative government era and continuing (notwithstanding the extent of its abatement during the peak of Covid), it has appeared that Public Safety cases (as in PoE, CBSA cases) have been an increasing share of the IAD cases, suggesting a general trend toward stricter enforcement of the RO at the PoE (albeit, again, significantly abated during the peak of Covid).

Regarding: 4. You are found to be inadmissible by CBSA for reasons other than the breach of your R.O. and may not be allowed to re-enter.

If CBSA border officials determine the traveler is a Foreign National (not a PR), and inadmissible, the traveler can be denied entry and in most cases probably will be.

Otherwise, inadmissible PRs are entitled to enter Canada.

In particular, if a PR is determined to be inadmissible based on serious criminality or security concerns, or on the grounds of misrepresentation, they are still entitled to enter Canada but they may be detained depending on the nature of any threat they pose, which of course is subject to a high standard comparable to those applicable to arresting and detaining individuals generally.

The follow-up procedure, when a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report is prepared at the PoE, is different for Reports based on RO breach versus Reports based on other grounds for inadmissibility (criminality/security/misrepresentation). I described the procedure in RO breach cases above; again, these are typically reviewed then and there, while the PR is still at the PoE, and a CBSA officer makes the decision whether to set the Report aside (such as for H&C reasons) or to issue a Removal/Departure Order (decision terminating PR status).

In contrast, if border officials prepare a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report based on criminality/security/misrepresentation grounds, the PR is then allowed to enter Canada (unless circumstances warrant the PR be detained) and the Report goes to IRCC, and local office IRCC officials will decide whether to proceed with a hearing.

Last edited:

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived

Hi Axelfoley,

Greetings! Any update of your hearing case? Did you win in the appeal to IAD? Love to hear from you.

Best regards,

Eusufzai