+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on re-entry

Chii

Apr 13, 2016
Thanks for your help in advance :D

We submitted outland spousal sponsorship application at the beginning of July. My wife came to Canada to live with me (while waiting for the application to process) on a 10-year multi-entry visitor visa she obtained years ago. We got pulled to the "line-up immigration office" at the border, lined up for 2 hours and got the visitor record, valid for 6 months (I've heard some folks saying they got it extended to 12 months when they said they have an application underway)

Now we're planning to take a Christmas vacation to UK. The question is:

- What's the procedure when we come back to Canada?

Is she going to have any problems re-entering Canada? Do we need to do another 2-hour line-up for a new visitor record? Would the new record be 6-month starting from the end of December, or would it have the same expiry date as before (which would be the end of March)

Also, on "extending your stay", say our visa expires on March 27th and the application for extension is still in progress, is anyone here familiar with the thing called "implied status"? (as indicated on CIC website)

Thanks again ;D

Chii

Apr 13, 2016
Just a quick clarification, my wife came to Canada about 3 weeks ago, so her current visitor record would be valid till the end of March.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Visitor Records aren't really that common. They use them to track that a visitor has left. So when she leaves, make sure CBSA gets that back!

Normal entry is just a stamp in a passport, maybe a date written down (which is the date to leave by; if no date then 6 months from entry date). That said, my wife has been in Secondary/Immigration to have a chat too (they didn't issue a Visitor Record either time). So it's possible she may have to visit with them again, but not a big deal.

Implied status means she can remain until they make a decision on the request. If it's for a work permit or a study permit, she cannot work or study until they have decided (but she can remain in Canada).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When she leaves Canada, her status leaves with her. This means that when she is examined upon re-entry, it will be up to the CBSA officer as to what her authorized stay will be.