+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on employment history

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
Dear members,

Looking for your valuable inputs on this situation.

Below is my employment history:

Employer 1: 2004
Employer 2: 2005
Employer 3: 2006 till date

For employer 3, I have all the required documents to prove my employment. However, for employer 1 and 2, some documents/details are missing. For example, I have the reference letter (missing annual salary), couple of payslips available (but no bank statements - bank account long closed), appointment letters available, no tax documents (cannot find). Since the employment is old, it would be difficult to secure the other documents from that employer now.

In my EE profile, I have mentioned all 3 employment details.

1. Post ITA, would I need to prove all or would be fine just to prove employment# 3?
2. Can I just remove employment# 1 and 2 and keep # 3 in the EE profile since that covers more than 10 years? In that case, I don't know how I will justify the gap.
3. Can I keep all 3 in EE profile and post ITA, just mention that I am not claiming points for employment# 1 and 2? I can still submit whatever documents I have for employment # 1 and 2.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If you list all of them in work history of your profile, you need to provide documents for all post ITA
Remove anything you don't want to claim points for or you can't produce documents for from profile. Post ITA list them in personal history section of the application form.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
IRCC does not care about any experience that is older than 10 years old, and will not consider them for points anyway. This 10 year period also applies to travel history, address history, and personal history, so no need to list anything that has happened in your life before 2009, except for education credentials.

Make sure you read the questions/instructions clearly, as this is all mentioned.

Last edited:

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
If you list all of them in work history of your profile, you need to provide documents for all post ITA
Remove anything you don't want to claim points for or you can't produce documents for from profile. Post ITA list them in personal history section of the application form.
Thanks!

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
IRCC does not care about any experience that is older than 10 years old, and will not consider them for points anyway. This 10 year period also applies to travel history, address history, and personal history, so no need to list anything that has happened in your life before 2009, except for education credentials.

Make sure you read the questions/instructions clearly, as this is all mentioned.
Thank you!

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
Does the spouse foreign work experience have any (positive or negative) impact on the CRS score? My spouse has couple of years experience but it would be hard to secure the documents from the employer (reference letters/pay stubs etc). So I was thinking to remove that experience from the EE profile.
But just wanted to confirm if it will have any negative impact on the score as I have received a NOI already.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
Does the spouse foreign work experience have any (positive or negative) impact on the CRS score? My spouse has couple of years experience but it would be hard to secure the documents from the employer (reference letters/pay stubs etc). So I was thinking to remove that experience from the EE profile.
But just wanted to confirm if it will have any negative impact on the score as I have received a NOI already.
Use the CRS tool to compare your points with and without the experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
On the calculator, it doesn't even ask for spouse foreign work experience... Only Canadian work experience is asked for spouse.
In the ITA pdf you got, it shows a breakdown of the points you were awarded. If no points were given for spouse experience, that would mean that it won't negatively affect your points to remove the work experience for your spouse and put it in their personal history section.

Now that I think about it, I don't think you get any points for spouse foreign experience - if I remember correctly.

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
In the ITA pdf you got, it shows a breakdown of the points you were awarded. If no points were given for spouse experience, that would mean that it won't negatively affect your points to remove the work experience for your spouse and put it in their personal history section.

Now that I think about it, I don't think you get any points for spouse foreign experience - if I remember correctly.
You are right, in the EE profile, it shows below

CRS - Spouse - Level of Education = x
CRS - Spouse - First Official Language Proficiency = x
CRS - Spouse - Canadian Work Experience = 0

There is no line item for spouse foreign experience and no points. So I think it would be safe to remove the experience from the profile.

Thanks much!

When you say 'personal history section', it's something post ITA, right? So it means I can add that experience in that section but need not worry about proving it? I will definitely upload documents that I have but not everything as per the requirement.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
When you say 'personal history section', it's something post ITA, right? So it means I can add that experience in that section but need not worry about proving it? I will definitely upload documents that I have but not everything as per the requirement.
Yes, post-ITA. And yes, you can add anything there without having to upload proof/documents for it.

There will be no placeholder to upload anything for this section.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
I will definitely upload documents that I have but not everything as per the requirement.
Don't upload anything that you don't need to, or that is not asked of you. Don't give the case analyst more work to do, you will only end up prolonging the processing time unnecessarily.