+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Car Importation and RIV Exempt

CarpeDiem99

Sep 9, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Interesting situation I am not sure how to handle. I came to Canada about 7 years ago under a NAFTA work visa from the US (residing in AB). About 4 years ago I bought a car in the US to bring-up while I work. I exported form the US but saw that I did not need to fully import it into Canada as I was under the RIV Exemption- however they did 'import' it without charging me the RIV fees and GST so that I could register it and get an AB plate (after passing an OOP inspection). Since then I applied for PR which I should be getting soon and I am not sure of a couple things:
1) Once i get PR do I need to fully import the car? If not would they ever even know as it is registered in Canada?
2) If I decide to sell the car in Canada do I need to fully import or again would anyone ever know due to it being registered here?
3) If I decide to sell the car in the US then is it easy to "re-import" it back over? I assume I would not need to pay import fees or GST since it was originally purchased in the US?

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i would recommend checking with the RIV and the service center in Alberta regarding whether it's considered completely imported or not. only they will be able to tell you the status. it sounds like your car may have been "temporarily" imported. you may need to "permanently" import it now. again, only the RIV and the Albert service centre who is responsible for car registrations can confirm the status of your car.

tubaiapu

Jul 11, 2018
Hi, I am also falling in the same category currently. I have Exported my vehicle from US and got Form1 from Canada border RIV with RIV exemption due to 1 year work permit. Is there any final outcome for your case regarding selling your car in Canada?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Yes, you will need to fully import it at the border before you can legally sell it in Canada or use it once you become a PR. As to whether or not you have to pay taxes, duties, etc, you can declare it as settler's effect when you land and escape taxes and duties but not the RIV (unless it is now more than 15 years old).

As far as reimporting it to the US, there is a provision that should allow it to be reimported with no duty if it was previously owned or registered in the US, but that might also depend on you residence status in the US.

tubaiapu

Jul 11, 2018
Yes, you will need to fully import it at the border before you can legally sell it in Canada or use it once you become a PR. As to whether or not you have to pay taxes, duties, etc, you can declare it as settler's effect when you land and escape taxes and duties but not the RIV (unless it is now more than 15 years old).

As far as reimporting it to the US, there is a provision that should allow it to be reimported with no duty if it was previously owned or registered in the US, but that might also depend on you residence status in the US.
So in a nutshell there is no way I can sell my car( or permanently import) in Canada unless I have PR here and once I have PR then I need to get in touch with Canada Border Security (CBSA) again to import my vehicle permanently and then only sell my car in Canada? In that case is it needed to register my vehicle temporarily in Canada before I apply for PR?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You can permanently import it without having PR status, but I think you will be on the hook for taxes, duties, RIV, etc. unless you meet the requirements to have it imported as "settler's effects," which I am not sure you can do if you have already established a residence in Canada, unless you leave and come back a year later and take the car with you while you are gone (and even that might be sketchy, because I think you might have to have acquired the vehicle during your period of non-residence, but not sure about that).

If you want to apply for PR, your vehicle registration really doesn't factor into that, unless you have committed some kind of Customs Act offense or have violated provincial vehicle registration laws.

tubaiapu

Jul 11, 2018
You can permanently import it without having PR status, but I think you will be on the hook for taxes, duties, RIV, etc. unless you meet the requirements to have it imported as "settler's effects," which I am not sure you can do if you have already established a residence in Canada, unless you leave and come back a year later and take the car with you while you are gone (and even that might be sketchy, because I think you might have to have acquired the vehicle during your period of non-residence, but not sure about that).

If you want to apply for PR, your vehicle registration really doesn't factor into that, unless you have committed some kind of Customs Act offense or have violated provincial vehicle registration laws.
I am ready to pay tax, Duty fee etc, but i want to know the steps how i can get my car permanently imported in canada considering i don't have to leave the country and not having PR(on work permit). if you know whom to contact for permanent import within country?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I am ready to pay tax, Duty fee etc, but i want to know the steps how i can get my car permanently imported in canada considering i don't have to leave the country and not having PR(on work permit). if you know whom to contact for permanent import within country?
CBSA obviously is who you contact. You might be able to do it at an inland port without having to cross over to the US (if the car has already been exported from the US and you have proof), but you will have to ask them about that. Ask them if you need to do an entirely new Vehicle 1 form or if they can do something with your old one. You can start the RIV process online.