+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on address (Q10, Q11)

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Hi, I am in the process of completing the citizenship application form and have the questions below.
Appreciate your help and guidance on this.

1) The first month after landing back in Sep 2014, I rented a place, put my bags and then visited many places in 2 provinces to explore, staying in hotels and friends' places.
For Q10, what address do I give for that month - (a) the address where I put my bags (and have a lease) or (b)one place in another city where I stayed the longest during the month (10 days) ?

2) For the first year, my wife was admitted in a university in Ottawa, so we rented a place in Ottawa. My job was in Montreal. I would go to Montreal every week and stay in a airbnb, hotel or friends place for a 2-3 days every week.
So, for Q11, employment address.... what address do I give - my office address in Montreal (where I go 2-3 days a week) or my rental apartment in Ottawa (where I have my lease)?

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1) The place you rented should do the trick here. If asked about it during the interview, just explain your situation. Shouldn't be an issue, and won't happen anyway.

2) Maybe list your Ottawa address and explain your situation in a separate cover letter. The fact that your wife was studying in Ottawa is a strong evidence you were residing there and a real justification regarding the mismatch between your residencial and work addresses.

Reactions: luvCan

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi, I am in the process of completing the citizenship application form and have the questions below.
Appreciate your help and guidance on this.

1) The first month after landing back in Sep 2014, I rented a place, put my bags and then visited many places in 2 provinces to explore, staying in hotels and friends' places.
For Q10, what address do I give for that month - (a) the address where I put my bags (and have a lease) or (b)one place in another city where I stayed the longest during the month (10 days) ?

2) For the first year, my wife was admitted in a university in Ottawa, so we rented a place in Ottawa. My job was in Montreal. I would go to Montreal every week and stay in a airbnb, hotel or friends place for a 2-3 days every week.
So, for Q11, employment address.... what address do I give - my office address in Montreal (where I go 2-3 days a week) or my rental apartment in Ottawa (where I have my lease)?
2) Question 11 is NOT asking for the address where you lived while you had a job. It is asking for the address where you worked. So if during a particular period of time you were living in Ottawa but worked in Montreal, you would list your Ottawa address in Question 10 and the Montreal address of the workplace in Question 11.

As recommended above it might not hurt to attach a short (!) explanation to your application since Ottawa-Montreal is quite the distance. The fact that you are married will make the story easy to believe for the officer.

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Thank you Spyfy and Seym for your guidance on this.

I have encountered a few more issues and have the below questions....

3) Does IRCC check/validate address with provincial records ? Wife and I moved from Ottawa to Montreal in Sep 2015, but we were so busy with the move, life and travel, that we didn't go to get Quebec drivers license, health card, etc. till early November 2015. Hence, provincial address records will show that we were in Ottawa till November 2015 and in Montreal since then. In Q 10 of citizenship application, I was planning to factually write that I moved to Montreal in Sep 2015. Is this a concern because the application information will not be same as Ontario and Quebec records ?

4) I have been in the same job in the same company for last 3.5 years, but the company has changed addresses 2 times - as it grew in size, it moved from one place to bigger place. How do to reflect that in Q11 ? Do I write 3 different lines for the same job, same company name and different addresses in each line ? OR do I just write one line from Sep 2014 with the company name, job and give the latest address ?

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you Spyfy and Seym for your guidance on this.

I have encountered a few more issues and have the below questions....

3) Does IRCC check/validate address with provincial records ? Wife and I moved from Ottawa to Montreal in Sep 2015, but we were so busy with the move, life and travel, that we didn't go to get Quebec drivers license, health card, etc. till early November 2015. Hence, provincial address records will show that we were in Ottawa till November 2015 and in Montreal since then. In Q 10 of citizenship application, I was planning to factually write that I moved to Montreal in Sep 2015. Is this a concern because the application information will not be same as Ontario and Quebec records ?

4) I have been in the same job in the same company for last 3.5 years, but the company has changed addresses 2 times - as it grew in size, it moved from one place to bigger place. How do to reflect that in Q11 ? Do I write 3 different lines for the same job, same company name and different addresses in each line ? OR do I just write one line from Sep 2014 with the company name, job and give the latest address ?
3) You are overthinking this waaaay to hard :) Simply say that you moved to Montréal in September 2015. We are all humans, even the people at IRCC are humans who know that we are humans. I think the vast majority would take some time before settling all the paperwork. But it is (a) highly unrealistic that IRCC would even have access to these records and (b) even if they do, they won't care about the 2 month discrepancy and (c) even if they would care, they would ask you what's up, you explain it and it's done.

I know this forum can make you go mental over details, but in the end the most important thing about your citizenship application is: Use common sense and make sure that IRCC gets a good overview over what you did the last five years, that's it.

4) You have two options: Write three different lines, each with the applicable physical location, OR simply write a single line, only list the last address the company was at and attach a short explanation pointing out the earlier addresses.

Again, see above. A human is reading your file. You will be fine with either of the two options. Just be consistent.

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Thank you!

My wife was unemployed for few months after she had graduated and looking for job. In Q11, when she writes “unemployed”, does she need to give any address or leave the address space just blank ?