+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question of PCC

HassanH

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

I currently received my ITA, and I'm required to submit a police certificate. I need one from Spain since I lived there for two years.

My question is this:

Can I go to Spain now and get a police certificate then come back ? I don't know if it will be considered valid since cic specifies that "For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the police certificate must have been issued after the last time the applicant lived in that country."
Does that mean I have to order the Police Certificate after I leave the country? Or I can still visit for a few days to obtain my certificate personally then submit it online ?

This is all post ITA.

Thanks

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hi Hassan,

I had the same issue. Luckily I had a friend who did everything for me (after I sent her my authority letter) - however the same can be done by yourself directly by filling the Model 790 and sending it to Madrid. The entire process is mentioned here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/spain.asp

All you need to do is send them a bank transfer before sending your application to them.

In case you plan to go yourself, then you can get it from Madrid in one day, get it legalized the same day and then get an english translation of the same and then get that verified from the Canadian embassy. All of this can be achieved in 2 days.

Let me know if you need to know anything

Cheers!

Reactions: Luana

HassanH

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
Hi Hassan,
In case you plan to go yourself, then you can get it from Madrid in one day, get it legalized the same day and then get an english translation of the same and then get that verified from the Canadian embassy. All of this can be achieved in 2 days.

Cheers!

thanks for your reply!
I am aware of the process, however, i am asking if I can actually travel and get the PCC myself or it will be invalid if I do that?

I read somewhere that the police certificate will not be valid if i request it before i leave the country, even if i don't live there anymore.

I now have my ITA and I am currently submitting the required documents. However I don't have a PCC so I want to travel to Spain and get one, but I don't know if it will be valid or not. Do you have any idea ?

Luana

Aug 19, 2017
Hi Hassan,

I had the same issue. Luckily I had a friend who did everything for me (after I sent her my authority letter) - however the same can be done by yourself directly by filling the Model 790 and sending it to Madrid. The entire process is mentioned here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/spain.asp

All you need to do is send them a bank transfer before sending your application to them.

Cheers!
Hello chanakyashah,

Sorry to jump in to your discussion, but I am in the middle of this Spain PPC getting process and I have some doubts that you might be able to enlight me.

I requested my PCC by mail direct to the Ministerio da Justicia in June but, unfortunately, my certificate got lost on the way back and I never received it in my address. In this sense, I hired a "gestoría" - company who requests this kind of documents in Spain and they were able to get my certificate. The problem is that the certificate came with an eletronic signature and It was not legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, nor verified by the Canadian Empassy.
My major problem is that I am running out of time to send my documents to CIC. Could you please walk me through this process of legalization and verification in Spain? I am afraid that for getting it verified in the Canadian Embassy I would need the translated certificate and It my take more time than I have available. I have 8 days left to do all this.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Luana

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
thanks for your reply!
I am aware of the process, however, i am asking if I can actually travel and get the PCC myself or it will be invalid if I do that?

I read somewhere that the police certificate will not be valid if i request it before i leave the country, even if i don't live there anymore.

I now have my ITA and I am currently submitting the required documents. However I don't have a PCC so I want to travel to Spain and get one, but I don't know if it will be valid or not. Do you have any idea ?
You need to apply for the PCC when you are outside of Spain. The reason is this, what if you applied for PCC while in Spain, and then you commit a crime or something before leaving Spain. That crime won’t show on the already applied PCC.

This is why you’ll need to apply for the PCC outside of Spain and make sure to translate the PCC if it’s not in English or French.

HassanH

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
Hello chanakyashah,

Sorry to jump in to your discussion, but I am in the middle of this Spain PPC getting process and I have some doubts that you might be able to enlight me.

I requested my PCC by mail direct to the Ministerio da Justicia in June but, unfortunately, my certificate got lost on the way back and I never received it in my address. In this sense, I hired a "gestoría" - company who requests this kind of documents in Spain and they were able to get my certificate. The problem is that the certificate came with an eletronic signature and It was not legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, nor verified by the Canadian Empassy.
My major problem is that I am running out of time to send my documents to CIC. Could you please walk me through this process of legalization and verification in Spain? I am afraid that for getting it verified in the Canadian Embassy I would need the translated certificate and It my take more time than I have available. I have 8 days left to do all this.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Luana

Hi Luana,
If you can go yourself to Spain and make this process, then it shouldn't take more than 2-3 days.

What you need to do is this:

1. Request your PCC from the minsiterio de justicia personally or through a representative.
If through a representative: You must send them a "poder notarial" or power of attorney paper authorizing them to request the PCC on your behalf. This paper needs to be in Spanish and legalized by the embassy of Spain in your country.

2. Once you get the PCC, you make a certified translation to english, you take the documents for legalization at the ministry of foreign affairs.

3. You take the PCC to the embassy of Canada in Spain in Madrid where they will legalize it in the same day.

4. you're done!

Hope this helps :)
I did the whole process through an attorney and it took 1 week.

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hello chanakyashah,

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Luana
Hello Luana,

Don't panic. If you are running out of time then what I suggest you is to upload the document and explain in the LOE that you will be providing the document as it's in transit. I am sure they will understand.

Meanwhile, you need to legalize the Spanish copy of the document, not the english one. English one needs to be verified by Spanish govt verified translators only.

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hi Luana,
If you can go yourself to Spain and make this process, then it shouldn't take more than 2-3 days.

What you need to do is this:

1. Request your PCC from the minsiterio de justicia personally or through a representative.
If through a representative: You must send them a "poder notarial" or power of attorney paper authorizing them to request the PCC on your behalf. This paper needs to be in Spanish and legalized by the embassy of Spain in your country.

2. Once you get the PCC, you make a certified translation to english, you take the documents for legalization at the ministry of foreign affairs.

3. You take the PCC to the embassy of Canada in Spain in Madrid where they will legalize it in the same day.

4. you're done!

Hope this helps :)
I did the whole process through an attorney and it took 1 week.
Did you legalize the English one too? As I was turned down my them.

Luana

Aug 19, 2017
Hello Luana,

Don't panic. If you are running out of time then what I suggest you is to upload the document and explain in the LOE that you will be providing the document as it's in transit. I am sure they will understand.

Meanwhile, you need to legalize the Spanish copy of the document, not the english one. English one needs to be verified by Spanish govt verified translators only.
Hello chanakyashah, thank you for you reply!

I will legalize the Spanish copy and I hope It will be in time of uploading it to the CIC system.
Do you think I can upload to CIC the legalized copy in Spanish and a translation to English made in Brazil, as I won't have time to heve it translated in Spain?

What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

Luana

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hello chanakyashah, thank you for you reply!

I will legalize the Spanish copy and I hope It will be in time of uploading it to the CIC system.
Do you think I can upload to CIC the legalized copy in Spanish and a translation to English made in Brazil, as I won't have time to heve it translated in Spain?

What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

Luana
Hello Luana,

I HIGHLY recommend you to get the translation done in Spain itself as it takes maximum 1 day to get the certified copy. In case you really can't get the translation done in time in Spain, then make sure the translators are sworn-in ones and are notified by the government; and also explain this in the LOE.

Luana

Aug 19, 2017
Hello Luana,

I HIGHLY recommend you to get the translation done in Spain itself as it takes maximum 1 day to get the certified copy. In case you really can't get the translation done in time in Spain, then make sure the translators are sworn-in ones and are notified by the government; and also explain this in the LOE.
Hello chanakyashah,

Thanks for replying!

I already did the legalization at the ministry of foreign affairs, but could not do the legalization at the Embassy of Canada because they only take translations made in Spain.

Do you have the contact of you attorney? The Company I have contacted (Gestoría) charged 320 Euros of services + 50 Euros (Embassy of Canada Fee) + 70 Euros (Translation in Spain) + 80 Euros (DHL Posting). I thought It was abusive, but I am willing to pay so I can get this resolved. :/
I was just wondering how much people usually charge for this services so I can complain about their abusive services after I get my certificate. They cannot abuse on people like this.

Thank you!

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hello chanakyashah,

Thanks for replying!

I already did the legalization at the ministry of foreign affairs, but could not do the legalization at the Embassy of Canada because they only take translations made in Spain.

Do you have the contact of you attorney? The Company I have contacted (Gestoría) charged 320 Euros of services + 50 Euros (Embassy of Canada Fee) + 70 Euros (Translation in Spain) + 80 Euros (DHL Posting). I thought It was abusive, but I am willing to pay so I can get this resolved. :/
I was just wondering how much people usually charge for this services so I can complain about their abusive services after I get my certificate. They cannot abuse on people like this.

Thank you!
WOoooahh ! All in all I paid 133.3 Euros, this is for everything including DHL Express Shipping (3 days) from Spain to India. I sent my friend the power of attorney and she did everything to me, so I knew I won't be ripped off as this is a very close friend I trust in.

Steps & Costs (as I went)
Power of Attorney Translated = 30 Euros (Same guy who will translate PCC later)
Model 490 = 3.74 Euros (Paid in Barcelona)
PCC sent for Legalization to Madrid = 14.56 Euros (Correos has special prices for official documents)
PCC sent back to Barcelona = Free
PCC translation = 30 Euros (Signed & Stamped with all legal numbers and verification)
PCC & Translated PCC Shipped = 55 Euros (Could have saved half of it if I had taken Standard Shipping)

Luana

Aug 19, 2017
WOoooahh ! All in all I paid 133.3 Euros, this is for everything including DHL Express Shipping (3 days) from Spain to India. I sent my friend the power of attorney and she did everything to me, so I knew I won't be ripped off as this is a very close friend I trust in.

Steps & Costs (as I went)
Power of Attorney Translated = 30 Euros (Same guy who will translate PCC later)
Model 490 = 3.74 Euros (Paid in Barcelona)
PCC sent for Legalization to Madrid = 14.56 Euros (Correos has special prices for official documents)
PCC sent back to Barcelona = Free
PCC translation = 30 Euros (Signed & Stamped with all legal numbers and verification)
PCC & Translated PCC Shipped = 55 Euros (Could have saved half of it if I had taken Standard Shipping)

Yeah, I was ripped off! :/
If only I had asked you sooner...
Well, now what's done is done! Hope it all works!
Now I am waiting for the authentication at the Embassy of Canada, hopefully It will be done in time!
Thank you for all your tips and attention!

Reactions: chanakyashah

bharry0101

Nov 24, 2017
From what i understood reading various threads the steps are:
1. Get the PCC from Min of Justice authenticated with original signature using Modulo 790 form
2. Legalize it from Min of foreign affairs in Madrid
3. Get a sworn English translation done from a translator in Spain
4. Authenticate the PCC from Embassy of Canada in Madrid
5. Upload
My question is: Is step 4 really required? There are comments in threads from people who seem to NOT have done Step 4 and applied for eAPR/ITA successfully... Please clarify anyone?

Luana

Aug 19, 2017
Yes! All those steps are required! I did it this way and already got PR.
Godd luck!

From what i understood reading various threads the steps are:
1. Get the PCC from Min of Justice authenticated with original signature using Modulo 790 form
2. Legalize it from Min of foreign affairs in Madrid
3. Get a sworn English translation done from a translator in Spain
4. Authenticate the PCC from Embassy of Canada in Madrid
5. Upload
My question is: Is step 4 really required? There are comments in threads from people who seem to NOT have done Step 4 and applied for eAPR/ITA successfully... Please clarify anyone?