+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Living outside Canada after sponsoring spouse

arijit1001

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hi,
I am a permanent resident living in Ontario. I am an Indian citizen. Recently I have submitted the family sponsorship application for my wife and stepdaughter who live in India.
If I take a Leave of absence from my employer and live in India with my family, will it impact the PR application of my wife and stepdaughter anyway?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As a PR you need to remain in Canada while the application is being processed or it will be rejected. It’s a requirement.

Reactions: jddd

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can I move to India after sponsor approval?
No. As already said, you need to remain in Canada throughout the application process. A few short visits of a few weeks are generally OK. If you move, expect your app to be refused.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
To add more with information from the website about eligibility requirement,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

• You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

arijit1001

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
To add more with information from the website about eligibility requirement,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

• You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would have been much better to ask before giving notice at your job. Hopefully you can get your job back. We do see people being refused sponsorship for leaving for a month or two which just delays things because they must return and apply all over again.

arijit1001

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Would have been much better to ask before giving notice at your job. Hopefully you can get your job back. We do see people being refused sponsorship for leaving for a month or two which just delays things because they must return and apply all over again.
Sorry, but ask whom?