Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Hello all, my husband is having a panic attack over a question on the form and I told him I would come here and seek advice on what to do!

As most of you know at this point, my husband (Canadian citizen sponsor) was illegal in the US since he was 10 years old. Since then, he moved around the US (one state in particular) literally 20-30 times. He lived in hotels at some point. He has absolutely NO idea any of these addresses or phone numbers or anything.

IMM5540E - SPONSOR QUESTIONNAIRE, Question 8:
Give the name of the countries where you resided, your complete address(es) and telephone numbers in these countries, as well as period of residence at each address. (Down to the day!)

What would your advice be? I know we shouldn't have any gaps. He is really worried, and I am slightly, though I feel this isn't really a huge deal seeing as he's the sponsor and already admissable. I guess it's just a matter of how to approach filling out the form.

I'd love to ease his mind! Many, many thanks!

(Also, it isn't clear if it's 18+ it doesn't say anything regarding "since when" if you catch my drift.)

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well the way I have always seen it that if you are afraid of them making misconceptions on any part of the application, just address it in a letter.

And don't worry I don't think alot of people remember ALL the addresses and such. Also, I really don't think it will matter what he did in the states as it is only a priority to them that he won't have to worry about doing that while he is here if he is approved.

Please give him a hug then look him in the eyes and tell him not to worry, all will be okay.
That is what my boyfriend does for me if I am having a panic attack.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
your husband is Canadian citizen or he applies for PR? I just got a bit confused.
I don't think he needs to mention all the addresses in the US. if he was illegal there they cannot check the places of his residence any way. just relax and mention the addresses you feel comfortable about. do you mention in your application that he was illegal in the US?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
My husband is a Canadian citizen, the sponsor.

I agree with both of you on adding the explanation letter! Thank you.

And I believe at some point we SHOULD mention he was illegal in the US. I think we have to in order for the events to make sense (i.e. lived in US for most his life, lives in Canada again because he was turned around at the US border). We will also mention it in the explanation letter.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
nyssa said:
My husband is a Canadian citizen, the sponsor.

I agree with both of you on adding the explanation letter! Thank you.

And I believe at some point we SHOULD mention he was illegal in the US. I think we have to in order for the events to make sense (i.e. lived in US for most his life, lives in Canada again because he was turned around at the US border). We will also mention it in the explanation letter.
considering he was ten when he came to the US i can't see them holding it against him it was his parents choice not his

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
if he is a Canadian citizen there shouldn't be any problem for him at all. the only thing they will want from him is just to meet sponsorship requirements. I don't remember my husband who is a Canadian citizen was asked that question in the application forms. but they did ask me, being a sponsored spouse to fill all this info.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Here is our plan, then as it currently stands.

We know his addresses from age 18 on (and even a couple years prior to 18). We will list those and the dates and phone numbers. Then we will attach a letter stating when his mom moved them into the US and that he was basically shuffled around in one state for X amount of years as a minor, and then age 18+ is listed on the form.

I figure if they don't care whether or not he was illegal in the US being the sponsor, why would they care about where he was as a minor? Thank you all for the piece of mind. He feels much better ;-)

Suin - did your husband live outside of Canada ever? Here is where they ask:
Give the name of the countries where you resided, your complete address(es) and telephone numbers in these countries, as well as period of residence at each address.

You only have to answer that if you check the box asking if you've lived anywhere besides Canada (the sponsor).

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I'm pretty sure it was just from age 18 on.

Yeah, just checked:

Addresses
List all addresses where you have lived since your 18th birthday. Do not use P.O. box addresses.

It will be okay.

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
I don't remember filling out such a question as the sponsor. I remeber, my husband as the ones being sponsored who needed to fill this out... but i could be wrong..

other wise, it was sort of similar with my husband he live in different places and he didn t remeber exactly all the addresses..

our lawyer told us to be as precise as possible...and to give what we could give, meaning if we didn t remeber the door number or postal code to at least put the street name, city and country...

nyssa said:

We know his addresses from age 18 on (and even a couple years prior to 18). We will list those and the dates and phone numbers. Then we will attach a letter stating when his mom moved them into the US and that he was basically shuffled around in one state for X amount of years as a minor, and then age 18+ is listed on the form.

I figure if they don't care whether or not he was illegal in the US being the sponsor, why would they care about where he was as a minor? Thank you all for the piece of mind. He feels much better ;-)

Suin - did your husband live outside of Canada ever? Here is where they ask:
Give the name of the countries where you resided, your complete address(es) and telephone numbers in these countries, as well as period of residence at each address.

You only have to answer that if you check the box asking if you've lived anywhere besides Canada (the sponsor).

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Sorry yes, that was the sponsored parties' questionnaire I quoted --- DUH! Let me check mine:

Nope. It asks for my current address and that's it.

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
As the sponsor, I recall I had to give my addresses only for the periods when I was a resident outside Canada. Other than that, I think it was just my current address. I do not remember if there was an age limit... So I think that will be a pain for nyssa's man but I agree that the letter of explanation for periods when he was carted around as a minor sounds reasonable. If he remembers the rough dates and at least the state or major city, I guess they could look up his mom's data if they really wanted to.

Another tricky question requiring some digging for the sponsor is all recent employers and salaries, etc. If you're like me and have hopped around a bit from contract to contract this can be tough! I guess for you nyssa, this is one of your hubby's trouble areas, as you discussed in a previous thread. But still doesn't seem to disqualify him as your sponsor.

Cheers,
TLH

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
The Littlest Hobo said:
As the sponsor, I recall I had to give my addresses only for the periods when I was a resident outside Canada. Other than that, I think it was just my current address. I do not remember if there was an age limit... So I think that will be a pain for nyssa's man but I agree that the letter of explanation for periods when he was carted around as a minor sounds reasonable. If he remembers the rough dates and at least the state or major city, I guess they could look up his mom's data if they really wanted to.

Another tricky question requiring some digging for the sponsor is all recent employers and salaries, etc. If you're like me and have hopped around a bit from contract to contract this can be tough! I guess for you nyssa, this is one of your hubby's trouble areas, as you discussed in a previous thread. But still doesn't seem to disqualify him as your sponsor.

Cheers,
TLH
Carted around...yeah. The letter is the best explanation.

Who ever knew, at the time these things were happening in our lives that the details would be relevant?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nyssa said:

Hi Nyssa,

Yes, fill it out from the time that he was 18. It is NOT relevant for sponsorship purposes whether he was illegal in the US or not, so don't worry about that. I don't think it's necessary to include the letter stating when he was moved around by his mom as a child. They are interested in what happened since age 18, not as a child. But, since your husband is now a Canadian citizen, he must have come here with a PR application, right? So he must have had to include information about his previous addresses since 18 on that application. MAKE SURE that the information on that application matches what he says on this application. Good luck to you.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I believe Nyssa's husband is a Canadian citizen not a PR.

She'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think if reflects on the answer to the question.

Is this getting confusing? Nyssa, call CIC and ask, would be my advice.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Wow, thank you everyone. Yes, my husband is a born Canadian citizen. Lived there from ages 1-10 and now 21+. It is actually not getting confusing, everyone answered in pretty much the same way.

What would be the best way for me to call CIC from the US? Or would it be better for my husband to? His work schedule unfortnately coincides with the government's so it would be easier for me to, but either way.

Many thanks guys, you've really made a huge difference. :D

I'd also like to add: You see why we aren't applying for him to come to the US!! I really didn't have a choice on this one. ;)