+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for passport holders (ideally from Calgary)

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hi all,

I have finally been scheduled for my oath on December 14!! Question for those of you lucky to have a passport by now: I have an international flight booked for December 24 to see my parents. In your experience, would it be possible to receive my certificate and get a passport, all within 10 days after the ceremony? I would really hate to reschedule my ceremony. I think I'd rather reschedule my trip, even if I have to miss Christmas with my family again :(

How long did it take for you to get your certificate and then apply for/receive your passport?

Thank you, all!

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hi all,

I have finally been scheduled for my oath on December 14!! Question for those of you lucky to have a passport by now: I have an international flight booked for December 24 to see my parents. In your experience, would it be possible to receive my certificate and get a passport, all within 10 days after the ceremony? I would really hate to reschedule my ceremony. I think I'd rather reschedule my trip, even if I have to miss Christmas with my family again :(

How long did it take for you to get your certificate and then apply for/receive your passport?

Thank you, all!
I’m in calgary and my friend was in a similar situation than you in Calgary as well. He was scheduled for Oath on Oct 6 and flying overseas on Oct 28, took Oath and requested expedited certificate to which he needed to provide documentation via email, he then got an email from the Calgary office stating that they will try to expedite his certificate but it was not guarantee. He waited and waited until Oct 27, cancelled flights without refund and never received the certificate until November 12.

Decide for yourself but I’d not expect Calgary office be prompt on your request

• Sad
Reactions: VictorCA

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’m in calgary and my friend was in a similar situation than you in Calgary as well. He was scheduled for Oath on Oct 6 and flying overseas on Oct 28, took Oath and requested expedited certificate to which he needed to provide documentation via email, he then got an email from the Calgary office stating that they will try to expedite his certificate but it was not guarantee. He waited and waited until Oct 27, cancelled flights without refund and never received the certificate until November 12.

Why didn't he travel anyways if the certificate was sent by mail and a family member can pick it up and courier it to him overseas? He could then apply for the passport at a consulate.

@VictorCA : Can't you proceed your travel and return via the US land border in case you have not yet receive the certificate (using your landing paper)?

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Why didn't he travel anyways if the certificate was sent by mail and a family member can pick it up and courier it to him overseas? He could then apply for the passport at a consulate.

@VictorCA : Can't you proceed your travel and return via the US land border in case you have not yet receive the certificate (using your landing paper)?
I don’t think it’s wise to mail a Citizenship Certificate across the globe and risk losing it. A replacement Certificate takes 15 months nowadays!!

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........

That sounds interesting. Would I be able to cross into Canada by land using my PR docs, even after cutting up my PR card?

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........

Thank you for sharing that. It's a shame :\

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017

Nope not possible. You have already landed. At this point borders would expect a PR card which will be cut on Dec 14.

What is possible is if you get your citizenship certificate, you maybe able to enter the country through land border with that, but that is only something I have read here

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hi all,

Thank you, all!
Ooof - too tight. Something has to get rescheduled. Gotta decide for yourself what is more important.

• Sad

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope not possible. You have already landed. At this point borders would expect a PR card which will be cut on Dec 14.

What is possible is if you get your citizenship certificate, you maybe able to enter the country through land border with that, but that is only something I have read here
What is not possible? As a person already landed, he can use his landing document to cross into Canada via the land border. Many people had done that in the past.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That sounds interesting. Would I be able to cross into Canada by land using my PR docs, even after cutting up my PR card?
If you drive or walk to cross into Canada by land:

Bring your original landing document, expired / damaged PR card, passport and they should be able to identify you.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
[
What is not possible? As a person already landed, he can use his landing document to cross into Canada via the land border. Many people had done that in the past.
Not sure if it is possible after he has become a citizen?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don’t think it’s wise to mail a Citizenship Certificate across the globe and risk losing it. A replacement Certificate takes 15 months nowadays!!
Didn't you read that mail sent across Canada can be lost? Wondered why they don't produce a digital one just like the digital vaccine passport.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Doesn't mean it is not possible. He can even bring his provincial driver license and border officer can verify his status.
Sounds interesting, but risky. I would hate to be stuck abroad and have to deal with embassies and stuff to get a passport.

I appreciate everyone's input! It sounds like I'll just have to reschedule my trip.

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you, all!
I was in the same situation got my certificate within 2 days and another 2 days for passport. According to your ticket terms and conditions when is the latest possible time for you to reschedule the ticket without additional penalties? If like some airlines you can reschedule upto any time before departure time, I suggest you wait until your oath date to see if your officer agrees to send it within 2 days if you dont receive within 3 days then you can reschedule ur trip.