+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about visitor status extension and implied status

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
Hello!

My spouse and I have a spousal PR application in progress. She recently landed here in Canada on a TRV (Spousal TRV path for family reunification).
It's her first visit to Canada. She was not issued a visitor record so her status is valid for 6 months.

If our application takes more than 6 months, we will want to extend her stay.
I have a few questions for this:
-Should we apply online close to when her status expires (like 30 days) or sooner?
-If it takes long to process, she will be on implied status.
My question about implied status is: what happens during a refusal? Does the officer give a 14 or 30 day grace period to leave the country or must the person leave immediately as in the same day of receiving the refusal for the extension? It doesn't make sense to me that someone should have to book and hop on a plane the same day as the refusal, especially if the person lives very far.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

mommamia

May 28, 2019
Based on my experience, it is 30 days upon refusal.

Apply for an extension 40days+ before her current status expires to be on the safer side. Goodluck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Person001

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hello!

My spouse and I have a spousal PR application in progress. She recently landed here in Canada on a TRV (Spousal TRV path for family reunification).
It's her first visit to Canada. She was not issued a visitor record so her status is valid for 6 months.

If our application takes more than 6 months, we will want to extend her stay.
I have a few questions for this:
-Should we apply online close to when her status expires (like 30 days) or sooner?
-If it takes long to process, she will be on implied status.
My question about implied status is: what happens during a refusal? Does the officer give a 14 or 30 day grace period to leave the country or must the person leave immediately as in the same day of receiving the refusal for the extension? It doesn't make sense to me that someone should have to book and hop on a plane the same day as the refusal, especially if the person lives very far.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Can you share how was the experience at the border? Was she questioned about the stay? Did she mentioned this family reunification program? Did they ask for return tickets and so on?

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
Can you share how was the experience at the border? Was she questioned about the stay? Did she mentioned this family reunification program? Did they ask for return tickets and so on?
None of the above, they thought she was a student. But it was really smooth, via YVR. Just, why are you here, basically.

Reactions: ERCAN