+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about taxes

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I applied for common-law sponsorship a few months back (Still waiting on AOR1...). We did our taxes separately and did not mention to the CRA that we are in a common law relationship as we recently found out about that. Is it bad that we filed our taxes as "single" individuals? Should we be updating them for further proof for CIC (although I don't think any more proof is needed since we already sent in our app, but just in case)?

Thanks!

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
This isn't optional for you, you have to update CRA and you have to refile your taxes as common-law, depending on when you qualified for common-law status.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I applied for common-law sponsorship a few months back (Still waiting on AOR1...). We did our taxes separately and did not mention to the CRA that we are in a common law relationship as we recently found out about that. Is it bad that we filed our taxes as "single" individuals? Should we be updating them for further proof for CIC (although I don't think any more proof is needed since we already sent in our app, but just in case)?

Thanks!
Is it bad ? It’s called fraud
It specifically asks you your relationship status , you aren’t single
You do a T1 adjustment or send a letter to your Tax Centre