+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about start and end date of study visa

Coconuts

Jan 26, 2008
Hi all

I just got into a course in Toronto (I'm from Australia) which is due to start at the end of this year (2008) and I have a few questions:

1) If I get my visa in a month or so and my course starts in September, how soon before the course starts am I allowed to head over? Is it a certain time period before the course starts that you can fly over, or can you head over as soon as you get the visa?

2) Once I finish my course, how soon do I have to head back to Australia? If they give you a month or so leeway after you finish your course before you have to head back, can you look for work in that time if you have a work visa?

3) If I manage to do all the above and find full time work before my study visa expires, how long can you stay in Canada on a work visa? Does it only last a few months, a year? I must be looking in the wrong places because I thought this would be an easy answer to find myself >_<

Any help would be appreciated =)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Coming from Australia, you do not need a visa to visit Canada for up to 6 months. You could do this before your studies began, for instance, and then make a quick border run before beginning your studies.

There are separate procedures for applying to work as a student vs. just working. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to find employment here unless you are a citizen or have permanent residence. You can read about it here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

Alternatively, you might be eligible for the 'working holiday program.' See this link:
http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

May 23, 2008
Coconuts said:
Oh wow, that's great! Lucky I asked, I would never have known that.

Cheers mate =)
Im from the UK and thinking of doing that myself. I have my application for my study permit in and am thinking of going to Canada as a visiter and having my family mail the approvel letter to me then just crossing the border and re-entering to get my study permit.
My question is are you actually allowed to do that. I dont want to make the immigration officer mad and then him not issue me the study permit (as its up to him at the end of the day) Also when entering Canada as a visiter should I be completley honest about what Im doing or just act like Im really there as a visitor.
To the original poster ... What are you doing about return flights? surley when you enter as a visiter you will have to show you have a flight home before your six months is up.
Thanks guys!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lil.miz.blu.eyez said:
Coconuts said:
Oh wow, that's great! Lucky I asked, I would never have known that.

Cheers mate =)
Im from the UK and thinking of doing that myself. I have my application for my study permit in and am thinking of going to Canada as a visiter and having my family mail the approvel letter to me then just crossing the border and re-entering to get my study permit.
My question is are you actually allowed to do that. I dont want to make the immigration officer mad and then him not issue me the study permit (as its up to him at the end of the day) Also when entering Canada as a visiter should I be completley honest about what Im doing or just act like Im really there as a visitor.
To the original poster ... What are you doing about return flights? surley when you enter as a visiter you will have to show you have a flight home before your six months is up.
Thanks guys!
Pointless, go when you want, CBSA will issue the study permit for the length of the course, here is what the manuals state:

"Post-secondary students (and most adult
students even if not at a post-secondary
institution)
Should correspond to the duration of their
proposed course of studies, plus an additional
three months"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12e.pdf 7.12

PMM