+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Proof of Studies requirement for PR application (USA ITA)

Jan 13, 2019
Hi all,

I'm an American and was just invited to apply for PR last week and have started working on the completeness checklist requirements. I've already obtained an educational credential assessment for my bachelors and masters degrees (it was required to do so for applying to the Express Entry pool of candidates). Under the "Proof of studies" section, it reads that I will need to provide my ECA reference # AND proof of my foreign educational credential.

I copied/pasted and bolded below how immigration defines "proof of foreign educational credentials."

Some questions:
  1. Doesn't my educational credential assessment that I supplied for express entry pool already provide proof since it clearly states I did receive the degrees and they have equivalency with Canadian education?
  2. Does this mean I have to provide copies of my diplomas, and my full transcripts? I don't understand what is mandatory vs optional.
  3. Do they need to be official or unofficial? E.g. formally signed/stamped for authenticity from the University or can they be photo copied?
Thanks,
An excited American

Document requirements
  • To receive program-specific points for education, the applicant must either
    • provide proof of having completed a Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational program; or
    • obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and provide the ECA reference number in their application, along with proof of the foreign educational credentials for which points are being claimed.
  • Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
    • secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
    • transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hi all,

I'm an American and was just invited to apply for PR last week and have started working on the completeness checklist requirements. I've already obtained an educational credential assessment for my bachelors and masters degrees (it was required to do so for applying to the Express Entry pool of candidates). Under the "Proof of studies" section, it reads that I will need to provide my ECA reference # AND proof of my foreign educational credential.

I copied/pasted and bolded below how immigration defines "proof of foreign educational credentials."

Some questions:
  1. Doesn't my educational credential assessment that I supplied for express entry pool already provide proof since it clearly states I did receive the degrees and they have equivalency with Canadian education?
  2. Does this mean I have to provide copies of my diplomas, and my full transcripts? I don't understand what is mandatory vs optional.
  3. Do they need to be official or unofficial? E.g. formally signed/stamped for authenticity from the University or can they be photo copied?
Thanks,
An excited American

Document requirements
  • To receive program-specific points for education, the applicant must either
    • provide proof of having completed a Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational program; or
    • obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and provide the ECA reference number in their application, along with proof of the foreign educational credentials for which points are being claimed.
  • Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
    • secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
    • transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available.
You'd need to submit your ECA number as well as copies of transcripts for both your degrees, or copies of the certificates for both your degrees, or both. They don't have to be stamped. Your original transcripts usually have a seal or signature of some sort on them, as do degree certificates. No additional authorization is required on your end.

Jan 13, 2019
You'd need to submit your ECA number as well as copies of transcripts for both your degrees, or copies of the certificates for both your degrees, or both. They don't have to be stamped. Your original transcripts usually have a seal or signature of some sort on them, as do degree certificates. No additional authorization is required on your end.
Thanks.