+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about PR card renewal's new expiration date

FMeg

Oct 2, 2018
My PR card is expiring sometime in December 2024. I have read that you can renew your PR up to 9 months in advance. I have completed the residency obligations to have it renewed.

My question is if I submit it for renewal in March, Will the new card be valid from March 2024 to March 2029 or March 2024 to December 2029.

Essentially, would I lose 9 months of validity if I got it done early? (If processing takes 1 month, 8 months would be lost, If processing takes 2 months, 7 months would be lost etc)

Also, I've read that once the new card is issued, the old one will no longer be usable after 60 days from the date of issuance of the new card. Is this true?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR card is expiring sometime in December 2024. I have read that you can renew your PR up to 9 months in advance. I have completed the residency obligations to have it renewed.

My question is if I submit it for renewal in March, Will the new card be valid from March 2024 to March 2029 or March 2024 to December 2029.

Essentially, would I lose 9 months of validity if I got it done early? (If processing takes 1 month, 8 months would be lost, If processing takes 2 months, 7 months would be lost etc)
Why oh why would you spend time worrying about this?

But anyway: it would be valid for five years from date of issue. It would be sooner if issued earlier, which would be one of consequences of applying earlier. Up to you.

Also, I've read that once the new card is issued, the old one will no longer be usable after 60 days from the date of issuance of the new card. Is this true?
True.

FMeg

Oct 2, 2018
Thanks for the response.

The reason I want more months is for more flexibility to meet the residency requirements.

I do have a follow up question. One of my parents has cancer and is receiving treatment. I may have to unexpectedly leave (due to medical complications for the parent) after I apply for the renewal should the need arise.

Would it be alright if my flat mate mails me the PR card?

If my flat mate fails to mail it (due to his own emergency or some other unforeseen reason) and the 60 days is past since the new card is issued, would I be able to enter the country if I apply for a PRTD?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The reason I want more months is for more flexibility to meet the residency requirements.
The card is not the status, and the card has zero to do with calculation of your residency obligation. Don't overthink it. The residency is a rolling five-year obligation after the fifth anniversary of landing.

I do have a follow up question. One of my parents has cancer and is receiving treatment. I may have to unexpectedly leave (due to medical complications for the parent) after I apply for the renewal should the need arise.

Would it be alright if my flat mate mails me the PR card?
Yes. Are you well over your residency obligation now?

If my flat mate fails to mail it (due to his own emergency or some other unforeseen reason) and the 60 days is past since the new card is issued, would I be able to enter the country if I apply for a PRTD?
Yes, although best if - again - well in compliance with the residency obligation.

Note: I think you'd have to apply for pRTD on basis the card is lost, and that might look ... not great. If you have ability to travel through USA and cross at land border, that would likely be preferable (should it come to that).

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition to concurring with observations by @armoured, mostly to be clear: the date a new PR card expires will have NO relevance in calculating Residency Obligation compliance.

As of December 2024 (as of the fifth year anniversary of date of landing) your RO compliance will be based on number of days IN Canada within the previous five years, based on whatever day the calculation is made. For example, if you return to Canada in March 2025, and you are questioned about RO compliance at the Port-of-Entry, your compliance with the RO will be based on days IN Canada between March 2020 and March 2025. That's how it will work if you have a brand new PR card just issued in December 2024, or a PR card issued in April 2024, or even if you do not have a valid PR card (difference is you would not be able to fly to Canada, but if you have status to travel to the U.S. you could come to Canada via a land crossing PoE).

A PR card can be sent by mail or courier to MOST countries. Some countries may have importation rules that prohibit this, but that depends on the rules in the destination country, NOT Canada's rules. Risk of loss also varies depending on destination.

Another risk is IRCC can require an in-person pick-up of the new card, or a referral to Secondary review, if IRCC perceives the PR is not currently in Canada. This would be a bigger risk for a PR who is cutting-it-close (such as a PR who has been outside Canada more than IN Canada during the previous four to five years).

And the main thing, if leaving Canada for a significant period of time, is to be sure to return to Canada before being outside Canada so long as to be in breach of the RO.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In case you don’t understand what a rolling obligation is. After you have spent the first 5 years in Canada you will need to meet the 730 days out of 5 years on any day to be compliant with your RO. It is not a new 5 year period where you need to meet the 730 days within new card duration.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As of December 2024 (as of the fifth year anniversary of date of landing) your RO compliance will be based on number of days IN Canada within the previous five years, based on whatever day the calculation is made. For example, if you return to Canada in March 2025, and you are questioned about RO compliance at the Port-of-Entry, your compliance with the RO will be based on days IN Canada between March 2020 and March 2025. That's how it will work if you have a brand new PR card just issued in December 2024, or a PR card issued in April 2024, or even if you do not have a valid PR card (difference is you would not be able to fly to Canada, but if you have status to travel to the U.S. you could come to Canada via a land crossing PoE).
There are also chances that the poster won't be questioned about RO compliance at the Port-of-Entry, regardless whether the RO will be based on days IN Canada between March 2020 and March 2025. That's how it will work if you have a brand new PR card just issued in December 2024, or a PR card issued in April 2024, or even if you do not have a valid PR card (difference is you would not be able to fly to Canada, but if you have status to travel to the U.S. you could come to Canada via a land crossing PoE).

We've seen cases like this from time to time.