+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about place of birth

d-patch

Apr 17, 2017
Finally got a text invite! On the 28th it was updated with a test invite. The test is on August 24.

A have a question for you guys though. I was born in the USSR and on my Israeli passport that is how it is written. But 10 years ago when i got my student visa in canada they inputed the country of birth as Russia which is not correct. I guess they go by the current country that it is.. In this case it should be Azerbaijan (Was part of USSR).

When my PR came through it still said Russia. When I landed as an immigrant i have told that to the officer at the border and he corrected my form and put some number on it. I assumed they have fixed it by now but when i was checking my Ecase it still shows Russia.

So I assume that all i need to do is to mention it to the officer in the interview. Correct? I have my birth certificate as well translated so he can take a look at it. Am I correct? Just want it all to go smooth and be corrected to Azarbjain. I was very little when we moved to Israel. I never mentioned Russian on any documents and it's frustrating that this mistake is still there.

Please let me know guys :)

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Finally got a text invite! On the 28th it was updated with a test invite. The test is on August 24.

A have a question for you guys though. I was born in the USSR and on my Israeli passport that is how it is written. But 10 years ago when i got my student visa in canada they inputed the country of birth as Russia which is not correct. I guess they go by the current country that it is.. In this case it should be Azerbaijan (Was part of USSR).

When my PR came through it still said Russia. When I landed as an immigrant i have told that to the officer at the border and he corrected my form and put some number on it. I assumed they have fixed it by now but when i was checking my Ecase it still shows Russia.

So I assume that all i need to do is to mention it to the officer in the interview. Correct? I have my birth certificate as well translated so he can take a look at it. Am I correct? Just want it all to go smooth and be corrected to Azarbjain. I was very little when we moved to Israel. I never mentioned Russian on any documents and it's frustrating that this mistake is still there.

They ask birth certificates of minors; if you are not a minor, it very unlikely that they will ask. Another point, city of birth is important too, I hope there is no confusion in your city of birth?

In my own case, I got country right, but city in birth certificate was different from the one mentioned in the passport. Did not create any issues. As for my spouse, the name of the city of birth itself changed by the government...

Last edited:

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013

This usually happens with people born USSR, Ireland ... etc because the USSR country (the union I mean) is no longer exist in the list of the IRCC. The exact same with people born in Jerusalem and probably Jericho before 1947; they write Palestine "country" depends on certain criteria of dates!. This could be the same ongoing story for other countries in the future so the now Israel might not be a country where past USSR might become a country back, however, what matters is the city of birth. Thereafter, you have the option to write the correct info in the CDN passport but if I were you I would bring it to the officer's attention during the interview.

d-patch

Apr 17, 2017
Thank you for your reply guys. My birth city never really changed so that should be fine.

I will mention it to the officer again and ask to correct it. Hope it will not delay it by a lot because of that but as long as it's fixed I'm good with that:)

d-patch

Apr 17, 2017
Quick update. Took my test and The interview was quick too the officer checked the travel documents and asked a few questions.

I tried to mention that there is a slight mistake on the birth place but the officer wasn't really interested in listening and brushed it off. At this case I can't argue and be stubborn with an offier. I guess I will leave it alone. Kinda annoying though.

So when I apply to my Canadian passport as spiritsaul suggested I can put the proper information? That will be fine with me as long as they don't pull again from the other info and write what they want haha