Question about OWP form "APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS"

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Apologies for all the questions - I really appreciate your patience and help.

Hopefully the last question but do we put all the extra documents (like pictures, lease, etc) under each corresponding IMM form? Or does it all go under the IMM 5589 checklist?
No need to apologize. That's what the forum is for.

In order of the checklist is best. IRCC rips it all apart and reorganizes it anyways.

Reactions: juliakristof

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
No need to apologize. That's what the forum is for.

In order of the checklist is best. IRCC rips it all apart and reorganizes it anyways.
"4) In IMM 5532, under #5 Address history: we traveled together for a few months nonstop abroad before we settled in Canada, therefore the first 3 months of our "one year living together to be considered common law" was spent traveling together. Therefore, does he write his parents address and I write my parents address for that period of time? Or do we had a 3 month section that says "no address, traveling by bicycle and sleeping in tent in Europe"?"
Okay so I know you answered this (above) before and said "write no fixed address and explain on a separate sheet". It allows me to write "no fixed address" on my form (as the sponsor) but under the PA's address history, there is a drop down bar where you must choose a country etc for address. What should we do in that case if we cycled though 6 different countries, and then flew to Hawaii as well over the 3 month period?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
"4) In IMM 5532, under #5 Address history: we traveled together for a few months nonstop abroad before we settled in Canada, therefore the first 3 months of our "one year living together to be considered common law" was spent traveling together. Therefore, does he write his parents address and I write my parents address for that period of time? Or do we had a 3 month section that says "no address, traveling by bicycle and sleeping in tent in Europe"?"
Okay so I know you answered this (above) before and said "write no fixed address and explain on a separate sheet". It allows me to write "no fixed address" on my form (as the sponsor) but under the PA's address history, there is a drop down bar where you must choose a country etc for address. What should we do in that case if we cycled though 6 different countries, and then flew to Hawaii as well over the 3 month period?
Just list the different countries for him.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Do each country as a separate entry.
That would be like an extra 10 separate entries because we entered and re entered countries. Instead I'm just going to write that my address was the same as his since that was our base while we were traveling in europe anyway.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That would be like an extra 10 separate entries because we entered and re entered countries. Instead I'm just going to write that my address was the same as his since that was our base while we were traveling in europe anyway.
It doesn't take long. I had about 18 countries to input when I sponsored my partner, as I was backpacking for a lot of the time.

Up to you but i would list it accurately with each country.

Alisha2019

Jun 15, 2019
Hi,
I hope it is ok for me to jump in and add my own questions regarding the OWP.
Some background info first: We are applying for inland spouse sponsorship, I am in Canada on a visitor visa and my husband is a Canadian citizen by birth.

1.) Regarding the Document Checklist: It seems to me that most of the list doesn't apply to me. I am NOT a student, provincial nominee, refugee or vulnerable worker and my husband is NOT an open work permit holder, skilled worker or fulltime student. So it appears that all I have to submit is the application to change conditions, proof of payment, passport copies and our marriage certificate. But is it really that simple??

2.) Section: Details of intended work in Canada, Question 5, Duration of expected employment?
In the guide it says that if you select "open work permit" you can skip Questions 2,3,4,6,7,8 about your prospective employer, but you still need to fill out Question 5. And it has to be in a From - To format, so I cant just write in From "as soon as possible" To "when I get my PR" or N/A for both.

Any help is much appreciated

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
It doesn't take long. I had about 18 countries to input when I sponsored my partner, as I was backpacking for a lot of the time.

Up to you but i would list it accurately with each country.
We ended up putting 27 or so lines. I have another question from my common law spouse:

I am applying for an OWP + PR. In the employment section it asks for 10 years of employment history. I am currently on a Working holiday visa so for my current job, should the end date be the end of the working holiday visa? Or should I put todays date?

Also, on the document checklist for PR, there is a section for police certificates. There is a checbox beside "the country you have lived in in the last 6 months" aka Canada for the primary applicant, and the country "you have lived most of your life" aka Belgium. Each of these have checkboxes beside them. We have a police certificate for Belgium but below those 2 boxes, there is another checkbox that says "police certificates are not required at this time from Canada if you've lived there for the last 6 months. check if this box applies to you". Do we then check the previous box about living in Canada for 6 months AND this one?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We ended up putting 27 or so lines. I have another question from my common law spouse:

I am applying for an OWP + PR. In the employment section it asks for 10 years of employment history. I am currently on a Working holiday visa so for my current job, should the end date be the end of the working holiday visa? Or should I put todays date?

Also, on the document checklist for PR, there is a section for police certificates. There is a checbox beside "the country you have lived in in the last 6 months" aka Canada for the primary applicant, and the country "you have lived most of your life" aka Belgium. Each of these have checkboxes beside them. We have a police certificate for Belgium but below those 2 boxes, there is another checkbox that says "police certificates are not required at this time from Canada if you've lived there for the last 6 months. check if this box applies to you". Do we then check the previous box about living in Canada for 6 months AND this one?
If it will let you put the future date, you can do that. Generally, the forms don't allow future dates, so you would just put the date you sign the form.

I would check both. They will understand.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
If it will let you put the future date, you can do that. Generally, the forms don't allow future dates, so you would just put the date you sign the form.

I would check both. They will understand.

We were finished putting our OWP + PR package together and doing a final check when we noticed that my common-law spouse (applicant) is missing stamps in his passport for entry into Canada as a visitor for Sept. 2nd 2018 and Sept. 22 2018. They just didn't stamp it! (He has an entry stamp for Nov. 11th 2018 because that's the date he flagpoled the border to activate his working holiday visa).

Just wondering how to justify this to immigration since the forms ask for photocopies of his passport pages showing all entry stamps into Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We were finished putting our OWP + PR package together and doing a final check when we noticed that my common-law spouse (applicant) is missing stamps in his passport for entry into Canada as a visitor for Sept. 2nd 2018 and Sept. 22 2018. They just didn't stamp it! (He has an entry stamp for Nov. 11th 2018 because that's the date he flagpoled the border to activate his working holiday visa).

Just wondering how to justify this to immigration since the forms ask for photocopies of his passport pages showing all entry stamps into Canada?
IRCC really needs to remove that requirement, as it seems CBSA pretty much never stamps passports anymore, especially for visa-exempt people. Just explain on a separate sheet. IRCC will be able to see the entries in the system.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
IRCC really needs to remove that requirement, as it seems CBSA pretty much never stamps passports anymore, especially for visa-exempt people. Just explain on a separate sheet. IRCC will be able to see the entries in the system.
Going along with this, I realized that if they scan my Canadian passport (I am the sponsor), they won't find evidence of entries in Europe because I have dual citizenship and used my Polish passport (not by birth - my parents are both from Poland). Should I also include my polish passport?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Going along with this, I realized that if they scan my Canadian passport (I am the sponsor), they won't find evidence of entries in Europe because I have dual citizenship and used my Polish passport (not by birth - my parents are both from Poland). Should I also include my polish passport?
You don't submit your passport.