+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about OWP form "APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS"

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
On IMM 5719 (application to change conditions), the first question asks "I am applying for one or more of the following:
-apply for a work permit with the same employer
-apply got a work permit for the frst time or with a new employer
-restore my status as a worker"

...and you're supposed to choose one or more of those options.

My common law partner currently is working with an employer on a working holiday visa. He wants to get an OWP so he can continue working but not necessarily be tied down to his current employer. Which option/options should he choose?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
On IMM 5719 (application to change conditions), the first question asks "I am applying for one or more of the following:
-apply for a work permit with the same employer
-apply got a work permit for the frst time or with a new employer
-restore my status as a worker"

...and you're supposed to choose one or more of those options.

My common law partner currently is working with an employer on a working holiday visa. He wants to get an OWP so he can continue working but not necessarily be tied down to his current employer. Which option/options should he choose?
-apply for a work permit for the frst time or with a new employer

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
-apply for a work permit for the frst time or with a new employer
So he shouldn't check both boxes for "apply for permit with the SAME employer" AND "apply for permit for first time or with new employer"?
He does want to continue to work with his current employer for a while (but wants the flexibility to change employers).

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
So he shouldn't check both boxes for "apply for permit with the SAME employer" AND "apply for permit for first time or with new employer"?
He does want to continue to work with his current employer for a while (but wants the flexibility to change employers).
How much longer is his work visa valid for? If you apply for PR with OWP, you can expect the OWP to take 3-4 months, maybe even sooner in some cases. If he gets an open work permit, it will grant him implied status and he would be able to work for any company, his current employer included.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Only select "first time or new employer". It will be an open work permit, so he will be able to keep working for the current employer if he wants.

Reactions: juliakristof

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Only select "first time or new employer". It will be an open work permit, so he will be able to keep working for the current employer if he wants.
I spoke with immigration today who said to check off "apply for work permit with the SAME employer". This is in contrast to 4 people who have advised me differently on this forum. Any idea why?

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
How much longer is his work visa valid for? If you apply for PR with OWP, you can expect the OWP to take 3-4 months, maybe even sooner in some cases. If he gets an open work permit, it will grant him implied status and he would be able to work for any company, his current employer included.
His working holiday visa is valid until November so still a while.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
You should be fine then. Just apply for the new open work permit. No need for the employer specific one.
The other thing that concerns me is the immigration person on the phone today told me he shouldn't apply for the OWP sooner than 3 months ahead of time...

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
The other thing that concerns me is the immigration person on the phone today told me he shouldn't apply for the OWP sooner than 3 months ahead of time...
OWPs can sometimes take longer than 3 months to process and it'll be a bit longer before you actually receive the physical copy. I would definitely not put it off if his current work visa expires in November. You were able to apply for a new open work permit with your PR app, so I don't see why you would have to wait now. The new permit, when issued, will just 'override' his current one.

Reactions: juliakristof

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
OWPs can sometimes take longer than 3 months to process and it'll be a bit longer before you actually receive the physical copy. I would definitely not put it off if his current work visa expires in November. You were able to apply for a new open work permit with your PR app, so I don't see why you would have to wait now. The new permit, when issued, will just 'override' his current one.
Ok thank you! Why does it say online that you MUST apply for the OWP online? Everyone is saying to put it on top of the physical PR application? Do we apply online too?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Ok thank you! Why does it say online that you MUST apply for the OWP online? Everyone is saying to put it on top of the physical PR application? Do we apply online too?
Usually you would include it in your PR app. They recently changed it to an online process, but you are still able to print out a paper application for it. You can choose either way, but don't apply both ways.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Usually you would include it in your PR app. They recently changed it to an online process, but you are still able to print out a paper application for it. You can choose either way, but don't apply both ways.
Why would someone apply with paper then if the online process is easier and probably faster?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Why would someone apply with paper then if the online process is easier and probably faster?
I'm not sure it's faster once it gets to IRCC. Easier for most for sure, but there are still people with disabilities who might not be able to go through the online process and find the paper application easier. Some also just prefer paper.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I spoke with immigration today who said to check off "apply for work permit with the SAME employer". This is in contrast to 4 people who have advised me differently on this forum. Any idea why?
Because the Call Centre is staffed by poorly trained people who can barely handle the most basic question and give wrong information all of the time.

Same answer as above. Poorly trained and doesn't know anything about the inland spousal pilot project.

Generic application information. Most other people must apply online. Inland spousal applicants must still print it and mail it in. They can only apply online after AIP, which is near the end of the process.