+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Original documents vs Certified Copies

Adamgp08

Aug 22, 2021
Hi all,

I am sponsoring my wife outbound from Japan.

We have the marriage certificate, Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon, and Koseki Tohon all translated by a Canada certified translator with stamp and written affidavit from the translator. These are not notarized as they are original documents that we purchased from city hall.

Since they are original, can we submit them without notarization? Are they even considered original? They are printed on special paper used by government agencies that prevents copying (hard to explain), and has the seal of the municipality stamped on the front.

Secondly, for proof of cohabitation, we are submitting utility bills that indicate our names and address (and translations). These are also originals.

Is it safe to assume that these also do not require notarization since they are originals?

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
From what I understand and on our own personal experience, if they are originals you are sending they do not need to be notarized, but you will not get them back. If you are getting anything certified translated (like you did) and want to send a copy, they have to be certified true copies and those get notarized.

Originals = no notarization, but you don't get them back
Copies = certified true copies and notarized

For our application we sent all certified true copies that were notarized, along with the certified translations. Since yours is printed on that special paper (which sounds pretty cool), just to be safe I would write a letter explaining that is the reason you used originals and not certified true copies.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
Do not send the orginal marriage certificate, certified copy only !!
The only originals we sent were the Police Certificates

Adamgp08

Aug 22, 2021
Do not send the orginal marriage certificate, certified copy only !!
The only originals we sent were the Police Certificates
Did you apply for a Japanese spouse? Why not? We don't need this document.

If I certify everything, I will be notarizing official government documents, not only is it redundant, I would have to send the originals anyway since they are printed on paper that makes it impossible to scan and copy. Not to mention it would cost over a thousand dollars to notarize everything.

Adamgp08

Aug 22, 2021
From what I understand and on our own personal experience, if they are originals you are sending they do not need to be notarized, but you will not get them back. If you are getting anything certified translated (like you did) and want to send a copy, they have to be certified true copies and those get notarized.

Originals = no notarization, but you don't get them back
Copies = certified true copies and notarized

For our application we sent all certified true copies that were notarized, along with the certified translations. Since yours is printed on that special paper (which sounds pretty cool), just to be safe I would write a letter explaining that is the reason you used originals and not certified true copies.
Japanese spouse? You certified the documents acquired from city hall? We can't copy these ourselves, the originals are literally scan proof.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I am sponsoring my wife outbound from Japan.

We have the marriage certificate, Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon, and Koseki Tohon all translated by a Canada certified translator with stamp and written affidavit from the translator. These are not notarized as they are original documents that we purchased from city hall.

Since they are original, can we submit them without notarization? Are they even considered original? They are printed on special paper used by government agencies that prevents copying (hard to explain), and has the seal of the municipality stamped on the front.

Secondly, for proof of cohabitation, we are submitting utility bills that indicate our names and address (and translations). These are also originals.

Is it safe to assume that these also do not require notarization since they are originals?
I perhaps do not understand, but I have never seen a translator provide a translation without some copy of the original attached (so that it is clear what has been translated). In countries I'm aware of the standard process is a translation done of a certified copy with the translation attached - but cannot say how done elsewhere.

That said, there is no problem with submitting the original - but you will NOT get it back. If you need the original, keep it and find another way.

If it's 'original' in sense that it's an officially-issued doc (eg on special paper, or marked as official extract from registry) and you can get another copy (also 'original') later, that's fine and up to you.

Adamgp08

Aug 22, 2021
I perhaps do not understand, but I have never seen a translator provide a translation without some copy of the original attached (so that it is clear what has been translated). In countries I'm aware of the standard process is a translation done of a certified copy with the translation attached - but cannot say how done elsewhere.

That said, there is no problem with submitting the original - but you will NOT get it back. If you need the original, keep it and find another way.

If it's 'original' in sense that it's an officially-issued doc (eg on special paper, or marked as official extract from registry) and you can get another copy (also 'original') later, that's fine and up to you.
All I am asking is if I can submit original copies with the translations instead of certified photocopies.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All I am asking is if I can submit original copies with the translations instead of certified photocopies.
Does your translation already have a certified copy attached to it?

Do you need your originals returned to you?

If you read my post above you'll see that the answer depends on the situation. Since it's pretty clear, figure it out from my post.

Or if in doubt:follow the IRCC instructions exactly.

Adamgp08

Aug 22, 2021
Does your translation already have a certified copy attached to it?

Do you need your originals returned to you?

If you read my post above you'll see that the answer depends on the situation. Since it's pretty clear, figure it out from my post.

Or if in doubt:follow the IRCC instructions exactly.
Yes, thank you for your prior post. I was able to understand. No, I don't require the originals. It seems that the notarization is for the translation. Which then opens the question, does a Canadian certified translator abroad still require notarization?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, thank you for your prior post. I was able to understand. No, I don't require the originals. It seems that the notarization is for the translation. Which then opens the question, does a Canadian certified translator abroad still require notarization?
The notarization of the copy and certification of the translation are separate concepts. Granted, often sone in parallel or together, but separate.

The translator's certification is that it is a true translation.

pearlzhaoep

Oct 11, 2021
Hello Adamgp08

I don't know if you have solved this problem or not. If you have then I am only hoping to share so that other people who have the same problem applying from Japan might find it useful.
It was very frustrating since Japanese public notarization agencies(公証役場) does not certify true copies. I also thought about just sending in the " Tohon "(謄本 they are actually copy of the original booklet kept in the city hall), since we can request it countless times, but I didn't want to try my luck.
So here is what I did:
1. I sent a email to the Canadian Embassy in Japan(Tokyo Office), telling them that I need to certify a true copy of Japanese official document to submit to IRCC and there is absolutely no way that a Japanese notarization agency is able to do that.
2. Usually they will accept it since certifying true copy is one of their services,

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/japan-japon/consular_services_consulaires/fees-frais.aspx?lang=eng

After that you can just follow their instructions and get your certified true copies. I used a translator in Japan who attached the certified true copies instead of the " Tohon " together with translated texts and affidavit. Then she had all the documents notarized at a public notarization agency since she is not a registered translator in Canada.

I received my first AOR and my application was not sent back so I am guessing this works.

Hope this helps whoever have the same problem in Japan.

Reactions: armoured