+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about OHIP for AOR status PGP 2018

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
Hi,

I am not seeking to get any medical assistance for my parents. But just came across some posts where they mentioned about PR applicants being eligible to get OHIP.

My parents are in Canada with me.

Father being Applicant, mother being dependent and I am the sponsor. AOR last year. CIC letter has their UCI no etc

Are they eligible apply for OHIP just to be safe, even though we have private insurance. According to the OHIP instructions, PR applicants may be eligible.

Our status is not something like DM, but just AOR.

Has anyone successfully applied at this stage and got OHIP coverage?

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Who is eligible for OHIP?
To be eligible to apply for OHIP, you must be able to answer "yes" to:

• All statements in Part A; and
  • At least 1 statement in Part B.
Note: Some people are not eligible for OHIP. Tourists, refugee claimants, foreign (international) students, and some foreign workers cannot apply for OHIP.

Part A
You must be able to answer "yes" to each of these statements:

• Your principal home is in Ontario.
  • You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
  • You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.
Part B
You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."
  • You have applied for a grant of citizenship under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act (Canada). IRCC confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship. (This is for children adopted internationally by Canadian citizens.)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once they reach AIP they can follow a procedure to start the 3 month waiting period. Google AIP and OHIP people have posted the procedure on this forum. It may save you a month or two max. Have only seen it done in the context of spousal sponsorship so assume it will be possible.

sue_c26

May 19, 2014
Who is eligible for OHIP?
To be eligible to apply for OHIP, you must be able to answer "yes" to:

• All statements in Part A; and
  • At least 1 statement in Part B.
Note: Some people are not eligible for OHIP. Tourists, refugee claimants, foreign (international) students, and some foreign workers cannot apply for OHIP.

Part A
You must be able to answer "yes" to each of these statements:

• Your principal home is in Ontario.
  • You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
  • You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.
Part B
You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."
  • You have applied for a grant of citizenship under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act (Canada). IRCC confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship. (This is for children adopted internationally by Canadian citizens.)
Hi.. I applied for my parents and it's already in the stage where we're waiting for PPR. Parent is in Canada and we went to Service Ontario but they are looking for a letter with my mother's name stating that she is eligible for PR application. We did not get any letter except a letter addressed to me (the sponsor). Any thoughts on this please?

sue_c26

May 19, 2014
Once they reach AIP they can follow a procedure to start the 3 month waiting period. Google AIP and OHIP people have posted the procedure on this forum. It may save you a month or two max. Have only seen it done in the context of spousal sponsorship so assume it will be possible.
HI.. I wonder how to prove AIP?