Hi everyone, I’m trying to understand how the spousal/common-law open work permit rules would apply to my situation.
I’m currently in Canada as a visitor, and I entered Canada in early July 2026 using an eTA and I was not given a passport stamp, so as I understand it, my visitor status should expire in early January 2027 under the default 6-month rule.
My girlfriend and I will have lived together continuously for 12 months in mid-November, and I’m planning to submit an outland common-law sponsorship application shortly after that.
I understand that normally I would apply for the OWP after receiving the AOR. However, I noticed that IRCC does say that you can apply without an AOR if your temporary resident status is going to expire within 2 weeks.
So, I was thinking, theoretically, if I submit my PR application in late November or early December and haven't received an AOR by around late December, I could apply for the OWP under the "expires within 2 weeks" condition, as my 6-month temporary resident status will be expired within two weeks in late December.
However, IRCC says that if you don't have an AOR but qualify for the 2-week condition, you should upload:
I was planning to apply for a visitor record before my current status expires anyway, but I'm just wondering whether I am eligible for this no-AOR condition. If so, my understanding is that this would probably be faster than applying for a visitor record and waiting for my AOR.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? I’d really appreciate any info or advice. Thanks a lot!
I’m currently in Canada as a visitor, and I entered Canada in early July 2026 using an eTA and I was not given a passport stamp, so as I understand it, my visitor status should expire in early January 2027 under the default 6-month rule.
My girlfriend and I will have lived together continuously for 12 months in mid-November, and I’m planning to submit an outland common-law sponsorship application shortly after that.
I understand that normally I would apply for the OWP after receiving the AOR. However, I noticed that IRCC does say that you can apply without an AOR if your temporary resident status is going to expire within 2 weeks.
So, I was thinking, theoretically, if I submit my PR application in late November or early December and haven't received an AOR by around late December, I could apply for the OWP under the "expires within 2 weeks" condition, as my 6-month temporary resident status will be expired within two weeks in late December.
However, IRCC says that if you don't have an AOR but qualify for the 2-week condition, you should upload:
- a copy of your work permit, study permit, or visitor record, and
- proof that you submitted your PR application
I was planning to apply for a visitor record before my current status expires anyway, but I'm just wondering whether I am eligible for this no-AOR condition. If so, my understanding is that this would probably be faster than applying for a visitor record and waiting for my AOR.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? I’d really appreciate any info or advice. Thanks a lot!
