+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about new Public policy for PGWP extention.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Could u confirm if people with PGWP expired 4 months before or after July 27, 2021 are eligible? My understanding is the application period is between Jan 27 and July 27 so, let's say someone who has PGWP expired on Nov 27 at the latest could apply because their WP is going to expire in 4 months since the time they apply (Jul 27). Thank u.
Yes, if your PGWP is expiring on November 27, 2021, you can apply for the 18 months extension. The policy was created to help new graduates make up for the lost time, due to the difficulty in obtaining the one year full-time work experience during the pandemic, that will enable them to qualify and apply for PR under Canadian Experience Class(CEC).

Last edited:

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Basically if your current PGWP is expiring between January-November, 2021 you qualify for the 18 month extension. Just make sure you apply four months before the expiry date.

Reactions: kumar29

Jsainbhi

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
Does anyone know about this then please answer. I had pgwp that expired in September 2020 and then i had to go on closed work permit as i didn't have my pr file number. So am I still eligible for this new policy to apply a new work permit coz my closed work permit fulfils the requirement that person should have legal temporary status.

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
There are speculations that this is only for those who had their job affected, which I do not believe. I think it is for everyone who has an expired pgwp even tho they worked full time during the pandemic.

If anyone has further information, please clarify

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
There are speculations that this is only for those who had their job affected, which I do not believe. I think it is for everyone who has an expired pgwp even tho they worked full time during the pandemic.

If anyone has further information, please clarify
PGWP is an open work permit and not tied to an employer unlike closed work permit. The new policy change applies to all PGWP holders that reside in Canada and will have their current work permit expire between January to November, 2021.

"This new policy means that young students from abroad who have studied here can stay and find work, while ensuring that Canada meets the urgent needs of our economy for today and tomorrow. Our message to international students and graduates is simple: we don’t just want you to study here, we want you to stay here.”
—The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-announces-new-policy-to-help-former-international-students-live-in-work-in-and-continue-contributing-to-canada.html

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Does anyone know about this then please answer. I had pgwp that expired in September 2020 and then i had to go on closed work permit as i didn't have my pr file number. So am I still eligible for this new policy to apply a new work permit coz my closed work permit fulfils the requirement that person should have legal temporary status.
I think you qualify because you PGWP expired in September, 2021. Your case is however complex because you are currently on a closed work permit, which ties you to your employer.

To apply for an open work permit under the public policy, an applicant must
  • have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply to still be in Canada
  • still be in Canada
  • Applications will be open from January 27 to July 27, 2021.

Jsainbhi

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
I think you qualify because you PGWP expired in September, 2021. Your case is however complex because you are currently on a closed work permit, which ties you to your employer.

• have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply to still be in Canada
  • still be in Canada
Thanks a lot for replying. Exactly that what I was thinking but the point here mentioned is those who held/hold pgwp and those whose expired after January 30, 2020. That clearly means an applicant whose pgwp expired on lets say 2nd Feb has to do something either go on a visitor visa Or closed work permit. The only two options left or let the status expire(but now how do someone on 2nd Feb would know that there is gonna be a pandemic and cic is gonna say in May that you can restore status till 31st Dec).. All this came after. So that person would definitely go for a closed work permit or a bridging open permit.
Point here they know lot of ppl applied for open and closed work permits on last 3 months and File number for pr is 6 months delay....
So, I am guessing it should be for everyone coz most of ppl are affected. I am on a closed work permit and now last week i was filling out EI due to very less work hours as thats the case with everyone due to lockdown..But hope for the best and thanks again for starting this thread to clear any doubts....

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018

Only applies if your post graduate work permit expired the month of January we currently are in or expiring 4 months before July 27,2021. Then you will be able to apply for 18 months extension.
Would like to correct you here, it applies if your pgwp expired between 27Jan 2020(last year) and July 27 2021

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Folks, I have one doubt could someone please help?
My pgwp expired on 28 Aug 2020 and I had applied for an extension on 27 Aug and have been working on implied status since then till I got a visa rejection letter on 2 Dec 2020.
My question is, can I get back to work as soon as I apply for the new public policy WP OR i will need to wait for a decision on this application?
Thanks

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
My pgwp expired on 28 Aug 2020 and I had applied for an extension on 27 Aug and have been working on implied status since then till I got a visa rejection letter on 2 Dec 2020.
My question is, can I get back to work as soon as I apply for the new public policy WP OR i will need to wait for a decision on this application?
Thanks
Yes as per requirements of today and if there is no further change. You are eligible to apply. If there is implied status on this new policy, we don't know yet but I think there will be

kumar29

Aug 29, 2017
Thanks
Sorry to hear that the application was rejected. I am thinking to apply for a PGWP extension as well, could you please share the reason for rejection? it may help.

Dami90

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Hello guys, A friend of mine got a study permit/Work permit after her pgwp expired in April 2020. can she still apply for the OWP