+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about my status and chances.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
Hi,

This will be my third post for this forum. To summarize, below is my profile:

5 years employed on an IT company (salary is P35,000 a month) - My first and current job
Have enough money on my bank account (P660K + / 17K + CAD). I don't have a one time big time deposit. My deposit only ranges from 5K php to 10 K php.
Been to two countries: South Korea (5 days - tour) and Australia (2 months - work) - I was sent by the company I'm currently hired at to work there hence I was granted a temporary work visa.
Have relatives in Canada (My aunt and my uncle both from my father's side) - However, I won't be visiting them because I believe I can handle myself when it comes to expenses
I'm from the Philippines.

Sorry for asking too much questions. I am now starting to apply for a tourist visa in Canada. I decided to hire a travel agent. However, she told me that it could be doable if I bring my mom and dad with me. Mom is unemployed but has been to different countries (Macao, Hongkong, Singapore, South Korea and just recently..US), she's dependent to dad. Dad is an Asst. Vice President. However, I'm scared that my application might get denied due to family ties. You see, my dad has 2 siblings over there and they might see this as a red flag. We don't plan on visiting them anyways and I believe we can afford the 10 day stay there in Canada ourselves. I'm not entirely sure why the travel agent proposed this idea to me. Any thoughts on this?

Also, looks like I could also get denied due to lack of ties. My manager already approved my leave request through email but the company won't give me the letter for approved leave of absence. This is because that letter is only granted for employees who filed for a LOA. Mine is just a 10 day paid leave. So I'm not sure what would happen to my application if I don't have this letter. Will it be ok if I printed our email conversation for my leave request instead? Also, I would like to have a vacation on Canada from Dec 12 - 21. However, I heard stories that the reason some of the applicants got refused because this is a critical month due to weather..... But, I want to experience snow winter in Canada. :(

Just wanna know my chance of getting my visa approved. Is it below 50% now? Or am I just overthinking?

Thanks,
Josh

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Can you dump your travel agent? I hope you didn't pay them yet. You really don't need one, and they won't really help.

Your case overall is iffy. I see the rationale in also applying with your parents, but it's not necessary.

The email conversation discussing your leave is fine. An official LOA letter is also not necessary.

What matters most are your finances and your salary (approval is not a sure deal from what you shared).

Mid-December is also not a guaranteed month for snow, depending where you'll be.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
Can you dump your travel agent? I hope you didn't pay them yet. You really don't need one, and they won't really help.

Your case overall is iffy. I see the rationale in also applying with your parents, but it's not necessary.

The email conversation discussing your leave is fine. An official LOA letter is also not necessary.

What matters most are your finances and your salary (approval is not a sure deal from what you shared).

Mid-December is also not a guaranteed month for snow, depending where you'll be.
Thanks, I was only allowed to take a leave on December. Hence, I could only target this month for my leave.... :( I just hope I won't take this hard if I get denied. I haven't paid the travel agent yet.... I still can't get the reason why she suggested that idea. I mean, I believe it's higher chance of denial if I bring my mom and dad with me. The only family member that will be left home are my two siblings but I don't depend on them....

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks, I was only allowed to take a leave on December. Hence, I could only target this month for my leave.... :( I just hope I won't take this hard if I get denied. I haven't paid the travel agent yet.... I still can't get the reason why she suggested that idea. I mean, I believe it's higher chance of denial if I bring my mom and dad with me. The only family member that will be left home are my two siblings but I don't depend on them....
From my own experience, family trips have good chances of approval ONLY IF you actually have a history of taking family trips to visa-required countries. But if your parents don't even plan to go to Canada with you, you shouldn't force them to apply.

Nothing wrong about taking a leave in December, but just warning you to be careful about saying your reason to go to Canada is to see snow--winter in Canada officially starts December 21 (when you're bound to leave Canada). I think visa officers won't see that as a good reason.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
From my own experience, family trips have good chances of approval ONLY IF you actually have a history of taking family trips to visa-required countries. But if your parents don't even plan to go to Canada with you, you shouldn't force them to apply.

Nothing wrong about taking a leave in December, but just warning you to be careful about saying your reason to go to Canada is to see snow--winter in Canada officially starts December 21 (when you're bound to leave Canada). I think visa officers won't see that as a good reason.

Thanks again. My purpose is to just tour Canada. I really don't have plans on visiting somebody there. On my approved leave, it's indicated that the days of my approved leave are Dec 11 to January 3. I am thinking of creating a cover letter explaining that my Canada trip will not accomodate all of my approved leaves as I have to go back to Philippines and spend Christmas and New year's week with the whole family. ... I fear that this could also confuse the consul if he/she notices that the number of my planned stay in Canada don't match the number of my approved leaves.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
Honestly, you don’t have to present the approved leaves at all. In your case it may harm more than help.
Hi again, I'm not sure if this is relevant. Although already a graduate and working as an IT person on an international company. Will it help if I include my Diploma as well as Transcript of Record on my application just so I can prove to them that I am at a good condition here in the Philippines? This is to just strengthen my ties I hope.... :( Apologies, this could sound stupid. I really don't have any other ties but my employment.

Guess, I'll try Australia or New Zealand next time if in case I get denied.... But I'll have to wait for one year to apply again.... If the denial happens, looks like I'll just take back my approved leaves on December and to just continue working and earn money.... December is the only month I was only allowed to take a leave.... :(

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi again, I'm not sure if this is relevant. Although already a graduate and working as an IT person on an international company. Will it help if I include my Diploma as well as Transcript of Record on my application just so I can prove to them that I am at a good condition here in the Philippines? This is to just strengthen my ties I hope.... :( Apologies, this could sound stupid. I really don't have any other ties but my employment.

Guess, I'll try Australia or New Zealand next time if in case I get denied.... But I'll have to wait for one year to apply again.... If the denial happens, looks like I'll just take back my approved leaves on December and to just continue working and earn money.... December is the only month I was only allowed to take a leave.... :(
No, those won’t help.
It’s your current profile that’s risky: young, first job, not much travel history, salary in your career could be much better. Those factors combined, they’d be a refused case.
The visa officers are perfectly aware of economic prospects in the Philippines vs. Canada. They know you can earn much more money in Canada in your field.

But I’ve been wrong a few times, and you can certainly try applying anyway and hope you get lucky.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
No, those won’t help.
It’s your current profile that’s risky: young, first job, not much travel history, salary in your career could be much better. Those factors combined, they’d be a refused case.
The visa officers are perfectly aware of economic prospects in the Philippines vs. Canada. They know you can earn much more money in Canada in your field.

But I’ve been wrong a few times, and you can certainly try applying anyway and hope you get lucky.
Thanks, looks like I will not continue with my application. I haven't heard news that a single 20 something person have successfully obtained a visa and enjoyed travelling in Canada alone.... I'll try New Zealand or Australia instead but not right now.... I don't want my passport to have a bad record (Visa Denial). Looks like my dreams of going to Canada will happen when I'm 50 something years old.... Thanks again. I'll be taking back my requested approved leave.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks, looks like I will not continue with my application. I haven't heard news that a single 20 something person have successfully obtained a visa and enjoyed travelling in Canada alone.... I'll try New Zealand or Australia instead but not right now.... I don't want my passport to have a bad record (Visa Denial). Looks like my dreams of going to Canada will happen when I'm 50 something years old.... Thanks again. I'll be taking back my requested approved leave.
I was a single 20-something female travelling alone on my first TRV application.

But I also had a valid US visa and several US visits, so I presented a round-trip PH-US ticket.

You can also try for a US visa, also significantly easier than a TRV.

Don't let me scare you off. One refusal under your circumstances isn't a permanent black mark when you attempt to reapply under better circumstances. Again, I'm just presenting my opinion, but I could be wrong and the visa officer may decide differently.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
I was a single 20-something female travelling alone on my first TRV application.

But I also had a valid US visa and several US visits, so I presented a round-trip PH-US ticket.

You can also try for a US visa, also significantly easier than a TRV.

Don't let me scare you off. One refusal under your circumstances isn't a permanent black mark when you attempt to reapply under better circumstances. Again, I'm just presenting my opinion, but I could be wrong and the visa officer may decide differently.
How long did it took you before you receive the Visa? Also, can you cancel the visa application if for example it's been taking forever and you haven't receive the result of the application yet nor the passport. And you really needed to use the passport as you have a scheduled trip before Canada?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
How long did it took you before you receive the Visa? Also, can you cancel the visa application if for example it's been taking forever and you haven't receive the result of the application yet nor the passport. And you really needed to use the passport as you have a scheduled trip before Canada?
- Never more than two weeks. About 10 days on average, I think.
- Sure.
- If you apply online, you don't need to submit your passport with the application, only if it is approved and requested.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
- Never more than two weeks. About 10 days on average, I think.
- Sure.
- If you apply online, you don't need to submit your passport with the application, only if it is approved and requested.
Thanks again for the info. Just another question. When you arrived to Canada, were you asked some questions? I heard people were still being questioned even though they already have their visas with them. Some of them were even refused to enter.

Thanks,
Josh

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks again for the info. Just another question. When you arrived to Canada, were you asked some questions? I heard people were still being questioned even though they already have their visas with them. Some of them were even refused to enter.

Thanks,
Josh
Just look upon a visa as an advance authority to travel to Canada and once you arrive at the border you get asked the same questions any border officer will ask in virtually any country such as purpose of visit, return ticket, where you staying and so on.

A visa is not a free pass into the country and yes people do get refused entry when it is determined their visit is less than honorable subject to the terms of their visa application such as some intent to maybe work as the only way to fund their visit so not a genuine visitor

Most of the time if someone is going to be refused entry it has to be something significant that would break the visit terms and the individual would be given opportunity to withdraw their application to enter and leave on next flight and maybe return again at some time in the future .

With CBSA always pays to be honest and answer any questions asked but avoid volunteering extra information where not asked. Note also CBSA have authority to search laptops and phones if they so desire although circumstances would need to warrant that such as suspicions about work as a visitor and so on.

Ultimately advice anyone will give is to not over think things and will be fine CBSA are human too and as said only answer questions asked dont bother striking up a conversation.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Thanks,
Josh
Yeah, what Bs65 said.

Basic questions:
- Where in Canada are you going to?
- What's your purpose?
- How long?
- Where are you staying?

That's it.

They don't really grill you unless there's something suspicious, like in your answers or your body language.

Last edited: