+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about my Career. Plz help

bash123

Nov 12, 2015
I'm confused between applying for second Masters(M engg) or for PhD.

My Bachelors is from Civil Engg(India) and Masters in Construction Management(KFUPM, Saudi Arabia).

I want to pursue a career pathway which leads to CEO of the company or GM. I haven't considered the academia field.
Can u plz advice?

IN DETAIL:

As I mentioned, I have two options,

1. To apply for M engg program, complete it within one year, then apply for a job and obtain pr then Citizenship. In between the process, I also plan to obtain P. engg License.

2. To apply for PhD, study for four years, work one year after PhD, apply for pr then citizenship.

I haven't considered the academia field i.e. working as a Prof. etc. I would like to end up as a CEO or GM in my career.

Wt do u advice ?

ag2015usa

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
If you want to end up a CEO - I would advise going for an MBA rather than a technical Masters. You already have the technical knowledge based on your education - what you'd need to progress quickly in to the upper echelons would be management skills.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want a corporate career, a PhD is a total waste of 4 years. Do not ever consider that. A career in academia is not for everyone. Please speak to your professors to see if that interests you. Please do not do any degrees just because it gives you points in EE.

I agree with the other reply that suggests an MBA. It is quite expensive to do an MBA these days so as a compromise you can consider masters in management. Education does not usually lead to up the corporate ladder. It requires many other skills such as making friends, playing politics, taking risks and so on, these are not taught in colleges.

Any time spent in colleges is usually counterproductive to learn such real world skills because the academic ambience will force to read books after books.. in my opinion, those are times spent more productive for someone who wants to be business man and not a scholar.

You sound young, maybe you should work for a few years to see what really interests you.

bash123

Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for the replies. But if I pursue M engg in Construction Project Management and then start working, completing Executive MBA while working, does it sound correct ?

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
IMHO If I were you I wouldn't get another degree mba / phd.

I suggest working for a company that has an integrated mba set up with a university with career progression linked. That would be more focused to your leadership pathway.