+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about my car odometer when I export.

tango

Mar 16, 2009
When you export the car from the US to Canada I understand that as long as you have speedometer that shows miles/h and km/h you should be ok. My question is what about the odometer? Do I have to replace the whole Speedometer instrument cluster in order for the odometer to show in km and not in miles?

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tango said:
When you export the car from the US to Canada I understand that as long as you have speedometer that shows miles/h and km/h you should be ok. My question is what about the odometer? Do I have to replace the whole Speedometer instrument cluster in order for the odometer to show in km and not in miles?

Thank you
No, you buy a sticker from Canadian Tire that states "odometer reads in miles"

PMM

tango

Mar 16, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

tango said:

Thank you
No, you buy a sticker from Canadian Tire that states "odometer reads in miles"

PMM
Thanks PMM.

I guess I will never be able to follow the distance in my odometer in between cities, places, etc in Canada when I drive my car unless I replace the Speedometer instrument cluster. Am I right? If In the future I decide to sell my in Canada Will people in Canada buy a car that reads miles instead km?

Thanks.

BS 6353

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
I understand that you need to replace the speedometer because in canada only odometer showing KM are in use.During my visit to Canada in Dec 2007 I had a discussion on this subject with my brother in law who is staying in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BS 6353 said:
I understand that you need to replace the speedometer because in canada only odometer showing KM are in use.During my visit to Canada in Dec 2007 I had a discussion on this subject with my brother in law who is staying in Canada.
Not true, most speedometers have dual readings, if not RIV only makes you place a sticker on it.
Suggest you have your b/law read the following. http://www.riv.ca/pdfs/LI_RIV_E.pdf
"Transport Canada has contracted with Adminserv Canada ... Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)"

PMM