+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about getting PR after COPR

kruppp

Jan 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I received my COPR in the mail (outland) and will be arriving to Canada soon. I am planning to apply to a Canadian college shortly after, and a PR/Citizenship is required if I want to apply as a domestic student.

My questions are:

1. assuming they wont accept a COPR as proof of being a domestic student, how long until I land will I have some proof of being a PR? Will I receive it when I land in the airport and go through customs or is this something I have to apply for myself once landing in Canada?

2. How quick is the process to receiving a PR card or paper showing proof? The deadline to apply for colleges is Feb 1st and I am landing in mid January.

Thanks!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi everyone,

I received my COPR in the mail (outland) and will be arriving to Canada soon. I am planning to apply to a Canadian college shortly after, and a PR/Citizenship is required if I want to apply as a domestic student.

My questions are:

1. assuming they wont accept a COPR as proof of being a domestic student, how long until I land will I have some proof of being a PR? Will I receive it when I land in the airport and go through customs or is this something I have to apply for myself once landing in Canada?

2. How quick is the process to receiving a PR card or paper showing proof? The deadline to apply for colleges is Feb 1st and I am landing in mid January.

Thanks!
COPR is your Conformation of PR document. That should be sufficient to prove PR status, and do everything you need to do within Canada. You can tell the university that you just landed and you are still waiting for the card to arrive.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To add to above - for most institutions the key dates for proving status will be when paying tuition, and often several weeks after the start of studies (at least for the final full amount). Shouldn't be an issue at time of applying.