+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about exchanging my US drivers license for Canadian drivers license.

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
I have been reading that since I hold a US drivers license (as a US citizen) that I can just exchange it for a Canadian drivers license. Does that mean that they will take my US drivers license away? I am concerned about this because I still work in the states (technically - from home). I also still hold an American bank since I work in the states. I also will still keep my credit cards I have in the US and continue to use them as well. I feel like I will still need my US drivers license for these things. I mean what happens when I call to one of my credit card companies one day for something and they ask for my drivers license and I have to tell them I no longer hold a US drivers license, but now a Canadian one. Will this even be acceptable? What do I do? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. You will have to forfeit your existing license (at least you will if you're in BC).

I wouldn't worry about how this might impact your banking and credit card companies. Your DL is only being used to prove your identity, right?
Besides...you will be required to convert your U.S. DL anyway (usually within 90 days of becoming a resident in Canada).

What province do you plan to live in?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

You are required to surrender your licence with the exception of Japan.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Yes, you will be required to give Ontario your US license.

On the up side, you can do as I did ...

Once I had my Ontario license in hand, when I got my renewal slip in the mail for my Michigan license I filled it in and got my Michigan license renewed, so I hold both of them again ... It only works because I still have a residence in Michigan that I maintain for my older children to live in. When it comes time that I can't renew online then I shall forgoe having the MI license.

OP, why in the world would your CC company ask you for your DL numbers? Unless you're applying for new credit that information should not be required again ...

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Alurra71 said:
Yes, you will be required to give Ontario your US license.

On the up side, you can do as I did ...

Once I had my Ontario license in hand, when I got my renewal slip in the mail for my Michigan license I filled it in and got my Michigan license renewed, so I hold both of them again ... It only works because I still have a residence in Michigan that I maintain for my older children to live in. When it comes time that I can't renew online then I shall forgoe having the MI license.

OP, why in the world would your CC company ask you for your DL numbers? Unless you're applying for new credit that information should not be required again ...
Renewal slip for your license? Mine doesn't expire until 2018. I do have the option of ordering a copy of my license. I'm from Florida. So I may just do that. But I thought that when you exchanged it for an Ontario license it auto automatically voids the license you have in the states? I read somewhere where someone exchanged theirs for an Ontario license and then tried to renew their license in the states and was told they couldn't have one because they already held a Canadian license? I have my residence in the states at my mothers house. Has been for years. So I guess I technically have a residence in the states.

My bank always asks me for my DL number as idenification purposes whenever I call in. I have also had my credit card company ask for it as identity purposes as well. They need to make sure they're talking to the right person.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All they need to do is verify your identity. Your passport would do that.

The valid DL really only shows that you are legally authorized to drive a motor vehicle, correct? Maybe you can get a Florida ID Card if the passport doesn't pacify the bank and/or credit card company.

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Ponga said:
All they need to do is verify your identity. Your passport would do that.

The valid DL really only shows that you are legally authorized to drive a motor vehicle, correct? Maybe you can get a Florida ID Card if the passport doesn't pacify the bank and/or credit card company.
I mean I guess. I don't have my passport on file as identification. When I opened my bank account and credit card I opened with my DL. So that's what they have on file for identification purposes. I mean I can assume that I can change the info they have on file. I thought about trying to get a FL ID card. I guess I could try that if all else fails. I was just wondering if anyone knew if your DL in the states was indeed cancelled. Because I know I can order another copy of my DL. So when I have to give it up it won't be an issue if I have two copies. But if it's terminated in my home state the copy will be useless.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
christinamh said:
I mean I guess. I don't have my passport on file as identification. When I opened my bank account and credit card I opened with my DL. So that's what they have on file for identification purposes. I mean I can assume that I can change the info they have on file. I thought about trying to get a FL ID card. I guess I could try that if all else fails. I was just wondering if anyone knew if your DL in the states was indeed cancelled. Because I know I can order another copy of my DL. So when I have to give it up it won't be an issue if I have two copies. But if it's terminated in my home state the copy will be useless.
They told me they were going to send mine back to MI with a notice that I was now licensed in Ontario. Either I slipped through the cracks or they didn't really bother with it. If I were you, I would just have them set up another identifier and let them know the reason. Perhaps that can link it to your passport or maybe even set you up with a password for identification purposes.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Is this 90 days after landing in Canada ? or 90 days after becoming a resident of Ontario?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering returning to the US for a little while after doing the landing.

sheepdontswim

May 4, 2016
In Ontario they take your drivers license, but the US will recognize your Canadian license.

This is how the process works 15miles.info/getting-settled-canada

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
sheepdontswim said:
In Ontario they take your drivers license, but the US will recognize your Canadian license.

This is how the process works 15miles.info/getting-settled-canada
Thanks, that's a super helpful blog.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
I am in a similar situation as the OP. Though, I have licenses from 3 countries (including one valid across EU). One of them is for large passenger carrying vehicles, which is quite valuable to me. Will I have to surrender all of them, or could I just give them one to get a Canadian license and keep the rest with me? Moving to British Columbia (subject to visa decision)