File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply. What you quoted is relevant if you move from within Canada. There's a different section applicable to those moving from outside Canada.
Ah - sorry. You're right. Not enough coffee today...

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
Ah - sorry. You're right. Not enough coffee today...
No worries!! I'm grateful to your and Canuck's help. It's so difficult to untangle this stuff and we must base major life decisions on it; all help is appreciated!!

I'll probably call again on Monday and put another agent to the test, but it's looking like eligibility is not going to be a problem so long as we intend to stay the year.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
I want to update that I got a response to the email that I sent Alberta health, in the hopes it can help someone who was as worried as I was. My conclusion is: if you are planning to spend at least a year there and you provide a full application in the first three months, you're eligible for immediate coverage.

I found that going through the application form was also quite helpful, as it shows you what to expect to have to provide at the time of application.

This is what I asked:

Hello,

I have a question regarding whether or not Canadian permanent residency holders moving to Alberta from abroad are eligible for immediate AHCIP coverage, if they are not covered by any other province's health insurance. The question is about permanent residents who have completed their landing formalities in the past (and may have made short visits to Canada), but only now intend to establish residence in Canada for the first time, in Alberta.

In your website, the wording is:

"If you are moving, immigrating or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage from the date establish residency in Alberta."

The word "might" is confusing. In what circumstances would a permanent resident moving to Alberta from outside Canada not be eligible for coverage from the date residency is established?

I appreciate your assistance in understanding this.

This is what they said:

Thank you for your inquiry.

All new Alberta residents, who have the intention of moving to Alberta permanently and remaining in Alberta for at least the next 12 months, may apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage and provide supporting documentation that they are residents of Alberta and entitled to coverage.

Persons moving permanently to Alberta from another country must register with Alberta Health within three months of arrival. If the application and all supporting documentation is received within three months from date of arrival in Alberta, coverage will be effective the date of their arrival. If the application is not received within that three month period, the effective date is determined at the time of registration.

When you apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage, you must provide supporting documents that prove:

• Alberta residency,
• Identity
• Legal entitlement to be in Canada.

Examples of acceptable documentation for each requirement are listed below:

Legal Entitlement- Canadian Birth certificate, Canadian Passport, PR card, Work permit, Study Permit, Indian Status card.
Photo Identity- Government issued Photo ID card, Drivers license, Passport
Alberta Residency- Legal lease agreement, Mortgage, Phone bill, Bank statement, Utility bill

If these documents are not provided, an application cannot be processed. New registrants must have a valid immigration document, or proof of Canadian Citizenship. Individuals with 'implied status' without a valid permit are not eligible for Alberta Health Care. Please contact us by phone if you have more specific questions regarding your registration. Examples of acceptable documents are provided on the website listed below.

The application for the AHCIP coverage can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-forms.aspx

Albertans can register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) and update their information at authorized registry agent offices across the province at no cost. You must provide the registry with original validation documents as photo copies are not accepted.

When medical services are required before receiving your Alberta Personal Health Card the doctor may request you pay at the time of service. After you receive the card you should provide the doctor's office with your Alberta Personal Health number so that their office can submit a claim for the service provided and request we reimburse you directly. If you were eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan on the date of service we will reimburse you at the rate listed in the Alberta Fee Schedule for that service.

You cannot apply for Alberta Health Care coverage until you are physically here in Alberta.

If your application is received by mail processing time could be up to four to six weeks.

If you have further questions, please contact:

Ministry of Health
Edmonton: 780-427-1432
Other areas in Alberta (toll-free): dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-1432
Outside Alberta: 780-427-1432
Email: Health.AHCIPMail@gov.ab.ca

Visit our website at http://www.alberta.ca for comprehensive health information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will you now be getting your own home? While staying with family it becomes very difficult to provide proof of residency.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
Will you now be getting your own home? While staying with family it becomes very difficult to provide proof of residency.
Yeah. We are going to work towards getting our own place from the get go. Staying with family is not a comfotable arrangement! My uncle who lives there said we can find a place in Edmonton within a few weeks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah. We are going to work towards getting our own place from the get go. Staying with family is not a comfotable arrangement! My uncle who lives there said we can find a place in Edmonton within a few weeks.
yes the housing market is affordable and there isn’t 1% availability like other regions of a Canada. Should be possible to get a rental pretty easily.