+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about eligibility for AHCIP

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
We landed in British Columbia in Nov 2018, stayed for a short trip in different cities and then left. We didn't apply for any health insurance. In the summer of 2019, we went back for another short visit to Canada, but again didn't apply for any health insurance. We have been planning to properly establish residence in Canada this summer, when my husband finishes up his graduate degree outside Canada. We just learned that I am pregnant, so we are now thinking about logistics and timing as they also relate to the birth.

We have family in Edmonton so Alberta is one of our options. On their official website, they state that permanent residents moving to Alberta from outside Canada might be eligible for healthcare coverage from the day they establish residency. However, there is no mention of what circumstances would prevent permanent residents moving to Alberta from abroad from getting immediate healthcare coverage, so we are confused by this sentence.

We understand that one of the requirements to be eligible is the intent to set up residence in Alberta. We intend to spend at least 6 months there and do not intend to commit insurance fraud. Where we live after those 6 months will depend on where we are able to find work.

Based on the above and based on your experience, do you think we would be eligible for immediate coverage?

P.S. I should mention that we used the address of our relatives in Alberta to receive our PR cards and we get our bank statements etc there. I don't know if that would make a difference.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We landed in British Columbia in Nov 2018, stayed for a short trip in different cities and then left. We didn't apply for any health insurance. In the summer of 2019, we went back for another short visit to Canada, but again didn't apply for any health insurance. We have been planning to properly establish residence in Canada this summer, when my husband finishes up his graduate degree outside Canada. We just learned that I am pregnant, so we are now thinking about logistics and timing as they also relate to the birth.

We have family in Edmonton so Alberta is one of our options. On their official website, they state that permanent residents moving to Alberta from outside Canada might be eligible for healthcare coverage from the day they establish residency. However, there is no mention of what circumstances would prevent permanent residents moving to Alberta from abroad from getting immediate healthcare coverage, so we are confused by this sentence.

We understand that one of the requirements to be eligible is the intent to set up residence in Alberta. We intend to spend at least 6 months there and do not intend to commit insurance fraud. Where we live after those 6 months will depend on where we are able to find work.

Based on the above and based on your experience, do you think we would be eligible for immediate coverage?

P.S. I should mention that we used the address of our relatives in Alberta to receive our PR cards and we get our bank statements etc there. I don't know if that would make a difference.
You'll be subject to the three month waiting period since you haven't previously established yourselves in Canada. This means the following will apply to you:

In Alberta, your coverage begins on the first day of the third month following your date you established residency in Alberta. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage is determined when you register.

• For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
I’m pretty sure Alberta changed the eligibility. Used to be when you land. It now looks like you must commit to 1 yr in Alberta. Think they were tired of people landing their to use healthcare and moving after 6 months.

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx
The one year criterion is fair and understandable. We are open to staying there one year.

However, what is your take on when the insurance kicks in? Do you think we would be eligible immediately? This is what they are telling me on the phone but it's worrying me that the website says you might be eligible and not you will be.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The one year criterion is fair and understandable. We are open to staying there one year.

However, what is your take on when the insurance kicks in? Do you think we would be eligible immediately? This is what they are telling me on the phone but it's worrying me that the website says you might be eligible and not you will be.
When did you call? Seems like they recently changed to after 2-3 months.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
You'll be subject to the three month waiting period since you haven't previously established yourselves in Canada. This means the following will apply to you:

In Alberta, your coverage begins on the first day of the third month following your date you established residency in Alberta. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage is determined when you register.

• For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
Do you mind sharing where you are quoting from? Thank you.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
use the link in my post
Well the lady who picked up today confirmed that we are eligible from the date of entry if we are permanent residents coming from abroad with the intention to stay a year. I asked her in 5 different ways and she insists the rules haven't changed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well the lady who picked up today confirmed that we are eligible from the date of entry if we are permanent residents coming from abroad with the intention to stay a year. I asked her in 5 different ways and she insists the rules haven't changed.
Have you read the website? It is pretty clear that it is no longer on arrival. Would get the answer in writing so if you run into problems you have written proof.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just reread the web page. I do think you are right and it does say you may qualify from the first day of residency if you stay for 12 consecutive months. Sorry was reading the page wrong. It has recently changed to 12 months consecutive stay from 6 months. Assume they have been getting lots of pregnant women land to receive maternity care.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
I'm a little confused. The website has two sections. In the one regarding people moving from outside of canada, this is what it says:

"If you are moving, immigrating, or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage from the date establish residency in Alberta."

What tripped me up was the "might be eligible". This is why I asked in what circumstances we wouldn't be. She didn't provide any; just repeated that we are.

I forgot to ask if place of landing or prior visits to Alberta after landing elsewhere affect eligibility. We landed in Vancouver and passed by Edmonton in 2018. However, since we got our PR through the FSW program I don't think it matters.

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
Just reread the web page. I do think you are right and it does say you may qualify from the first day of residency if you stay for 12 consecutive months. Sorry was reading the page wrong. It has recently changed to 12 months consecutive stay from 6 months. Assume they have been getting lots of pregnant women land to receive maternity care.
Ah yeah I thought there might be some confusion.

I'd be fed up too, in their shoes. Luckily we have family in Alberta and my husband is into renewable energy so it is a place that makes sense for us outside of health insurance concerns.