+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about eligibility for AHCIP

FarahetAbed

Aug 2, 2017
We landed in British Columbia in Nov 2018, stayed for a short trip in different cities and then left. We didn't apply for any health insurance. In the summer of 2019, we went back for another short visit to Canada, but again didn't apply for any health insurance. We have been planning to properly establish residence in Canada this summer, when my husband finishes up his graduate degree outside Canada. We just learned that I am pregnant, so we are now thinking about logistics and timing as they also relate to the birth.

We have family in Edmonton so Alberta is one of our options. On their official website, they state that permanent residents moving to Alberta from outside Canada might be eligible for healthcare coverage from the day they establish residency. However, there is no mention of what circumstances would prevent permanent residents moving to Alberta from abroad from getting immediate healthcare coverage, so we are confused by this sentence.

We understand that one of the requirements to be eligible is the intent to set up residence in Alberta. We intend to spend at least 6 months there and do not intend to commit insurance fraud. Where we live after those 6 months will depend on where we are able to find work.

Based on the above and based on your experience, do you think we would be eligible for immediate coverage?

P.S. I should mention that we used the address of our relatives in Alberta to receive our PR cards and we get our bank statements etc there. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Last edited: