+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding PR Card renewal (Got PRTD on H&C grounds)

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014
Hi

I got my Permanent Residency Travel Document (PRTD) on the basis of humanitarian and compassionate grounds, RC-1 category. Using my PRTD I travelled back to Canada and applied for my PR Card renewal 2.5 months back because as per my understanding people who get PRTD on the basis of H&C grounds could apply for PR Card immediately upon arrival in Canada without waiting for the completion of 730 days in the last 5 years.

I applied for my PR Card renewal using the UPS Courier and got confirmation from the courier company that my application has been received by IRCC, my application was delivered to IRCC during the time of strike and now since 2.5 months I have not heard back anything from IRCC. Also, the processing of my application has not been started yet.

My question: Is it a good idea to send an online application as well? I do not want to be in a situation where I keep on waiting for my PR Card and later on get the information that my paper application was never received by IRCC.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Manish Khanna

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I got my Permanent Residency Travel Document (PRTD) on the basis of humanitarian and compassionate grounds, RC-1 category. Using my PRTD I travelled back to Canada and applied for my PR Card renewal 2.5 months back because as per my understanding people who get PRTD on the basis of H&C grounds could apply for PR Card immediately upon arrival in Canada without waiting for the completion of 730 days in the last 5 years.

I applied for my PR Card renewal using the UPS Courier and got confirmation from the courier company that my application has been received by IRCC, my application was delivered to IRCC during the time of strike and now since 2.5 months I have not heard back anything from IRCC. Also, the processing of my application has not been started yet.

My question: Is it a good idea to send an online application as well? I do not want to be in a situation where I keep on waiting for my PR Card and later on get the information that my paper application was never received by IRCC.

Thanks
Manish Khanna
Send a web form to IRCC:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?

Reactions: manish_canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

Thanks
Manish Khanna
Do not send a duplicate application. You are in fairly normal processing time so you likely just need to be patient.

Harsha99

Jul 3, 2023
Hi

Thanks
Manish Khanna
Hi, may I ask did you meet your residency obligation? how did you get the PRTD, I got my PR in 2018 and stayed a little over a year then had to travel home country due to personal obligations (COVID hit, stuck etc). Want to know if I can still request for PRTD, if so what should I base my case off of? Any advice or information is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, may I ask did you meet your residency obligation? how did you get the PRTD, I got my PR in 2018 and stayed a little over a year then had to travel home country due to personal obligations (COVID hit, stuck etc). Want to know if I can still request for PRTD, if so what should I base my case off of? Any advice or information is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

“Want to know if I can still request for PRTD, if so what should I base my case off of? “

The truth , of course

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014

Thank you.
You can always apply for PRTD but it depends on IRCC if they approve it or not. Every case is different so can't say much about your case. Just be as much truthful as possible and provide as much details as possible along with proofs regarding your situation due to which you were unable to complete your residency obligation. You could also show how you remained connected to Canada even though you were away from Canada. And, you should include all the factors that forced you to stay out of Canada like COVID, personal obligations etc. Hope it helps.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi

Thanks
Manish Khanna

You can follow this thread for latest timelines - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-new-2022-processing-timeline.760981/page-179

Harsha99

Jul 3, 2023
You can always apply for PRTD but it depends on IRCC if they approve it or not. Every case is different so can't say much about your case. Just be as much truthful as possible and provide as much details as possible along with proofs regarding your situation due to which you were unable to complete your residency obligation. You could also show how you remained connected to Canada even though you were away from Canada. And, you should include all the factors that forced you to stay out of Canada like COVID, personal obligations etc. Hope it helps.
It does, thank you.

Reactions: armoured

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello there, I am trying to apply for my PRTD because I lost my pr card.. if I may ask did you fill in the residency obligation And what did you tell them on H&C grounds.. please I need your help.
All PRTD applications require meeting the Residency Obligation.

Jul 6, 2023
@ ponga! I do not think I meet the residency obligation because my employer would not give employment records and my bank account as been closed. And the other listed document I do not know how to get them. Is there any other ways.

Jul 6, 2023
Hi

Thanks
Manish Khanna
Manish Khanna, what did you write when to comes to the H&C grounds

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@ ponga! I do not think I meet the residency obligation because my employer would not give employment records and my bank account as been closed. And the other listed document I do not know how to get them. Is there any other ways.
Not meeting the residency obligation means you haven't lived in Canada for at least 730 days within the last five years. Have you lived in Canada for at least 730 days in the last years?

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Manish Khanna, what did you write when to comes to the H&C grounds
H&C grounds are individual and specific to your situation. You generally also need to be able to back up your H&C circumstances with evidence. What are your H&C circumstances?

Jul 6, 2023
Not meeting the residency obligation means you haven't lived in Canada for at least 730 days within the last five years. Have you lived in Canada for at least 730 days in the last years?
I became Permanent resident in 2010 and I lost my permanent residence card in 2023. So I have lived in Canada more 730 days..