+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding employment benefit

syedsaquib

Aug 23, 2020
Hi there,
One of my employers provided me with full medical insurance on top of my annual salary. This medical insurance fee was not paid to me but instead to the insurance company. So the fee paid to the insurance company did not have any impact on my total annual income that I received from the company. Do I have to include this health insurance benefit in my employment reference letter and exactly how much the company paid for my insurance?

Thanks!

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hi there,
One of my employers provided me with full medical insurance on top of my annual salary. This medical insurance fee was not paid to me but instead to the insurance company. So the fee paid to the insurance company did not have any impact on my total annual income that I received from the company. Do I have to include this health insurance benefit in my employment reference letter and exactly how much the company paid for my insurance?

Thanks!
you don't need to include this. Your annual income should tally back to any compensation letter you received from the company AND you tax returns. im guessing this insurance payout wasn't mentioned in your tax forms.

syedsaquib

Aug 23, 2020
you don't need to include this. Your annual income should tally back to any compensation letter you received from the company AND you tax returns. im guessing this insurance payout wasn't mentioned in your tax forms.
No the insurance payout was not mentioned in the payslips/taxforms

CadJohn

Star Member
May 21, 2019
"Is Life Insurance Taxable in Canada? Most amounts received from a life insurance policy are not subject to income tax. Regardless of the size of the policy, your spouse, child or anyone else you've named as a beneficiary would not have to report life insurance proceeds as taxable income on their Canadian tax return."

From - rbcinsurance.com