+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on TRV after getting study permit

vader26

Feb 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat unique issue. I did my Masters here in Canada for 2 years, travelling back and forth a few times as my research was abroad. Then just before graduation, I got a 3 yr post graduation work permit in August, 2014. I used this to renew my TRV which now has "worker" on it instead of "student" as the first one did. This is all logical and clear since I was working with the university from then on. However, I was offered a fellowship to further my studies and hence I applied for the PhD programme at the same university. I accepted and so then I had to apply for a new study permit. I got this and has since started my PhD studies in January, 2015.

Now for the query, do I have to apply for a next TRV? As stated earlier, the one I have currently states "worker" on it and it expires in Dec, 2016. The reason I am querying is because I have to travel outside of Canada for a conference, and upon return I'm not sure what to say to immigration if they see "worker" on the TRV and I'm currently a student.

PS: Both work permit and study permit are valid beyond 2016.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

vader26 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat unique issue. I did my Masters here in Canada for 2 years, travelling back and forth a few times as my research was abroad. Then just before graduation, I got a 3 yr post graduation work permit in August, 2014. I used this to renew my TRV which now has "worker" on it instead of "student" as the first one did. This is all logical and clear since I was working with the university from then on. However, I was offered a fellowship to further my studies and hence I applied for the PhD programme at the same university. I accepted and so then I had to apply for a new study permit. I got this and has since started my PhD studies in January, 2015.

Now for the query, do I have to apply for a next TRV? As stated earlier, the one I have currently states "worker" on it and it expires in Dec, 2016. The reason I am querying is because I have to travel outside of Canada for a conference, and upon return I'm not sure what to say to immigration if they see "worker" on the TRV and I'm currently a student.

PS: Both work permit and study permit are valid beyond 2016.

Technically, you can't have both PGWP and SP together. One nullify another.

vader26

Feb 19, 2015
Okay therefore the study permit takes precedence. So should I apply to change my valid TRV just because it has "worker" on it?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

vader26 said:
Okay therefore the study permit takes precedence. So should I apply to change my valid TRV just because it has "worker" on it?

I personally think there is no need to change TRV.

Apr 29, 2014
Yes, you can have both.You were entitled to a pgwp as per your masters degee. You were right in getting the study permit to attend your new program. The TRV shouldn't be an issue as you are still considered a worker.