+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on BOWP

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

I qualify for BOWP and plan to apply next month. But I also have to move from canada to usa for work assignment for my current employer.

So the plan is to receive the BOWP and then step outside canada, and then seek a job in canada from there. Now if I do get a job, will I need a visa before I can return back into canada?

My current canada visa is expired but I am staying here on a work permit that I got extended last year.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

canadacec123

Feb 10, 2014
Toronto - Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 20, 2013
AOR Received.
February 11, 2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
August 28, 2014
Med's Done....
September 05, 2014
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
November 04, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
November 19, 2014
LANDED..........
November 25, 2014
adipadi said:
Hi,

I qualify for BOWP and plan to apply next month. But I also have to move from canada to usa for work assignment for my current employer.

So the plan is to receive the BOWP and then step outside canada, and then seek a job in canada from there. Now if I do get a job, will I need a visa before I can return back into canada?

My current canada visa is expired but I am staying here on a work permit that I got extended last year.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!
You do not need to get VISA if you are going and entring from US on valid status in Canada.

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply. So does it mean that if I have a valid work permit but not a valid visa is still considered valid status?

canadacec123

Feb 10, 2014
Toronto - Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 20, 2013
AOR Received.
February 11, 2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
August 28, 2014
Med's Done....
September 05, 2014
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
November 04, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
November 19, 2014
LANDED..........
November 25, 2014
adipadi said:
Thanks for the reply. So does it mean that if I have a valid work permit but not a valid visa is still considered valid status?

Following excerpt was taken from CIC. But I could not find it on CIC web site. Better to call at 1-888-242‑2100 and confirm.

"There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer (or)
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer."

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Folks,

I have a query related to when I can apply for BOWP. My current work permit expires on Dec 20, 2014. I wish to apply for it online, the moment I become eligible. In order to not get my BOWP application rejected, is it ok to apply on 20 Aug, or should I apply on Aug 21?

Please help.

Thanks,
adipadi

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^Do you really want to play that guessing game? Even if all of us here will say you can apply on Aug 20, it's what the Officer's judgement that matters.
The safest bet is Aug 21 onwards.
Why are you in a hurry though, BOWP are only issued for a year, so if you want more bang for your buck I'd rather you do it closer so you maximize it.

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
hehe. I absolutely do not wish to tease the case officer. :) I guess you are right on that front.

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Another thing... When the BOWP document will be sent by post, do I have to personally receive it by signing or something? Or will it just sit in my mailbox for me to pick it up at my convenience just like it is with any other letter?

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
adipadi said:
Another thing... When the BOWP document will be sent by post, do I have to personally receive it by signing or something? Or will it just sit in my mailbox for me to pick it up at my convenience just like it is with any other letter?
For me it jst went straight to my mailbox.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
adipadi said:
You'll receive the BOWP like any other letter (no signature required).